openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup

Oh come on this thread is on openHABian and no 1:1 consulting.
Read the docs (it says RPi 8GB is a bad idea) and open another thread on the forum if you want help.

1 Like

Excuse me for asking the wrong questions. You are right I should search and try my best first before asking here. I’m not looking for 1:1 consult it’s just that I’m still learning and trying.

First of all’ let me thank the providers of this handy openhabian image that is really helpful.

I wrote the image on an SD for my new Raspberry pi v4b v 1.2 4GB.
The possibility of editing openhabian.conf before first boot is very useful. I used the possibility to connect to Wi-Fi and to give a name to the host, in order to distinguish it from the production openhab instance running in my older Raspberry pi v3b.

Installation was smoot, (and fast) except for a couple of issues.

The name of the device in the network was not changed from the default after the first one or two reboot. The up address changed from one reboot to the other and it would have been difficult to find the Raspberry again given that the name changed. After one reboot, the Raspberry was not assigned an ip address: as I was directly looking at the screen output I was able to reboot. Looking into the logs I saw the dhcpcd service complaining some error. The dhcpcd setting file had a different default hostname written into it.

Is this possibly due to the fact that I was using only Wi-Fi? Or is there some change of network settings in Raspberry is? Possibly something related to randomly changing mac address for Wi-Fi adapters?

I would suggest adding the possibility to set a fixed ip in openhabian.conf.

As a workaround I’ve set the fixed ip at the router level (I have a fritzbox 7590 with fritzOS 7.20).
This may or may not work when I will redo installation from scratch (but I do not know how often the mac address of Wi-Fi change).

Thank you again for your hard work
Lionello

Changing anything about the IP setup is very tricky because we just ‘piggyback’ on Raspberry Pi OS so whenever anything changes there we’re quickly in trouble (incompatibilities).

Did you try the new 1.6.1 image?
There have been some changes to the WiFi connectivity code and it contains a hotspot that fires up when the inet is not reachable so you can get along without editing openhabian.conf.

But testing efforts on every piece of this part are huge (and probably nonetheless insufficient).
Just like any user, I have to flash,boot, analyze and fix stuff in an everlasting cycle. No automation :frowning:
And as my test box is located 2 stairs down in the basement, the last weeks with hotspot development have become a sports events to me. Now I’m tired of running the stairs so sorry but there’s no plans for further changes.

PS: I, too use a Fritzbox. There’s an option on every network component to “always assign this IP to this MAC” or the like which I enabled for most of my boxes. Little trouble with DHCP since.

Thank you, this is exactly what I ended up doing. Next time I will test the hot-spot feature.
Lionello

WireGuard VPN setup run and completed ok.
The client conf file generated seems to have a parsing error (space char) as reported by the QR scanner in the allowed IPs tag. It is missing an “,”
instead of:
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0 ::/0
it should be:
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0,::/0

Can I install OH 2.5 on OpenHabion 1.6.2 image

Yes if you use the master branch.

1 Like

I recently upgraded to OH 3.1.0.
My hardware is a Raspberry 3b+
I purchased a new 32 gig sim card for a clean install, formatted it and flashed it with the 1.6.2 image.
I then changed my pi password.
I then had to add openhabian to the sudoers file to have the ability to use the “sudo” command when logged in to openhabian.
At this point I could finally access openhabian-config.
I went through and updated all of the system files I wanted.
Problem:
I am currently and have been struggling with accessing my Openhab on my network.
I can ping my Openhab IP address.
When I open my network directory Openhab does not appear.
I can use my “Advanced IP scanner” and it will find OPENHABIANDEVIC.
Can anyone provide a suggestion as to how I can find openhab on my network?
I have exhausted all the options that I can find to resolve this issue without success.
I have also read through the “Hassle free set up” documentation.
Thank you in advance for your help.

What image have you installed the 32bit or the 64bit.

Openhabian was not detecting the os correctly as a pi. You can install openhabian on many different devices an os’s and with that comes complexity. Eg if some beginner sticks it on their linux machine you don’t want to change the username to openhabian as it may break other things.

This has been fixed as I installed experimental version about the same time you posted.

When you SSH into the PI do you see this link http://openHABianDevice:8080
Dose this link work in your browser?

These links can be found in the quick start guide openHABian | openHAB

Did you follow this step

• Wait approximately 15-45 minutes for openHABian to do its magic.

Thank you @denominator for your quick response.
I installed the 32 bit image.
I have been using the same pi for 2 years and never had a problem.
I can ssh into my pi/openhab using putty with no problem.
I can reach openhab through chrome when I use the IP address (192.168.X.XX:8080)
I want to reach openhab through my network mapping a drive so I can use VS code.
I cannot reach openhab using "http://openHABianDevice:8080 .
I did not change my pi user name, only the password.
Yes I did wait a couple of hours after start-up to allow an uninterrupted install.
Thank you for that quick start guide to review.
I have done everything as it is listed as near as I can tell.
I don’t think I can use the same pi that I have been using for 2.5.11.
For some reason I think it retains some of the old information in the firmware somehow.
I would like to think I am wrong about that, but maybe I need to burn a new pi image, install that and then install OH3?
Thanks again

You can now ssh into your pi using vscode so no samba required.

1 Like

So your local DNS/DHCP setup is bad.

Yes you can. No OH data is stored in firmware.

Use debugmode=maximum.

Hi,
Lots of new modems these days add a suffix to the machine name. I understand that this is due to the network not having a network group name or domain.
You may find that the DNS in your modem has actually added a home suffix like this
http://openhabiandevice.home:8080/

Look across your network at other devices e.g. Tasmota devices and see if they have a home or similar suffix added.

@mstormi
Yes you can. No OH data is stored in firmware
Thank you for your kindness :pray:
Thats odd because I burned the image on a new 32 bit sd card.
I did a complete fresh install.
Yet my start page I was using on OH2.5.x appeared when I went to do my layout/start page on OH3.x.
Where could that have come from?

@NW27
Thank you also.
I checked my other devices and they are not like that.

THANK YOU @ EVERYONE FOR ALL THE HARD WORK IN 2020 AND HAPPY NEW YEAR :grinning:

32 gig*
Ugh

11 posts were split to a new topic: openHABian shared or dedicated

Yes, change the OPENHAB_HTTP_PORT environment variable.

It’s difficult to answer because it depends on how much you plan to put on. But yes, openHABian makes it easier to set up an out of a box rounded solution, it’s probably not your solution though. If you’re familiar with Linux and want a slightly custom flavour, install openHAB’s apt/yum/dnf package or in a docker container on your choice of OS.

1 Like

Can someone please explain the relationship (if any) between the choices under openHabian Config Menu 41 and the respective version of openHAB that it will install? Is it as follows? (And if so, is there a reason why openHabian Config uses different wording than openHab does?)

• Release <=> Stable
  • Testing <=> Milestone
  • Snapshot <=> Snapshot

1 Like

Yeah, the reasoning is not great, but it has to do with the names for the repositories that contain the packages in apt. We should probably change it but that was the original reasoning.