openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup

http://docs.openhab.org/administration/console.html

and

http://docs.openhab.org/administration/logging.html#karaf-console

1 Like

No, you may use habmin of course. I’m just saying that this sounds like a Habmin related issue. openHABian installs openHAB but does not do any changes to it. All problems you have after setup are most probably unrelated to openHABian. Looking at the log is a very good idea. If you find a serious problem and it’s not already discussed here in the forum, it would be a good idea to open a new thread on it.

ok, thanks to both of you.

@ThomDietrich

how do i ssh into openhabian to view the karaf console. i tried to ssh in using port 8101, but im only allowed in using port 22.

While connected to your machine with ssh, type:

ssh openhab@localhost -p 8101

The default password is: habopen

1 Like

You need to first connect via ssh on port 22, then make another local connection as @Benjy said.

Another option: you can open the karaf console to all interfaces. To do that, please first connect via ssh (22), then type sudo openhabian-config, then select the option “Karaf Console”. After that you may connect from your local machine to your openhabianpi on port 8101

ok, that just seems easier, thanks

I get this error when trying to update openhabian:

What can I do?

And I want to update the zwave-binding to get the newest definition of chris’ database.

If I disable and reenable the zwave-binding - will it be reloaded from the net in the current version?

Michael

Looks fine to me :wink: There is no error.

To update openHAB and all it’s addons, just upgrade normally:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
1 Like

Thank you.

Now I have the new nice menu :slight_smile:
My KNX is running fine - what is knxd?
Do I need it?

Michael

Given that openHABian is mainly intended to be akin to an openHAB appliance, one wonders whether this shouldn’t be configured by default. Of course there are concerns with opening up a service like this, particularly one with a default user/password…

just for future questions…have to sudo ssh connection

Not sure what you mean but no, you’ll never ever have to execute ssh with sudo.
Can you tell me about the problem you are seeing?

i ssh ed into openhabian on port 22. then i typed

ssh openhab@localhost -p 8101

nothing happened until it timed out.

for giggles, i typed sudo before ssh, then was able to access the karaf console.

Is this a yes or no from your side? :confused: Being bound to the localhost interface is the default. Binding to all interfaces could be dangerous as a default setting (because of the password, as you already concluded). In order to make a public interface acceptable, the password has to be non-default from the beginning. Maybe as an activate-and-set option in PaperUI?
openHABian doesn’t change the default openHAB2 installation unless the user selects this option from the menu. I could add a prompt for a password at this point if you are concerned of insecure end user systems. What do you think?

@staehler67 might answer that better than I can. Link:

This will install knxd (successor to eibd) to support your KNX bus system. Please edit /etc/default/knxd to meet your interface requirements. For further information on knxd options, please type knxd --help.
Raspberry Pi: EIB/KNX IP Gateway and Router with knxd

This is a known problem and related to the comparably weak RPi system. Upon first connection to the karaf ssh socket, a strong encryption key is calculated - which takes too long. Just try connecting another 1-2 times.

also, i created a new items file via nano, tried to save it as many different ways in the items folder, but it doesnt save into that folder. when i wrote out, orginally it said to save in openhab-confitemshome.items. I tried that way, tried adding / between conf and items and file name. i cannot see it in the folder

and thatbis openHAB-conf/items folder, sorry for the hab

As usual I’m playing both sides.

For a security engineer, my tolerance for risk is actually pretty high. So long as the password gets reset to something non-default at some point in the install and configuration process I’m fine with it. The risk is pretty low to nonexistent.

My main thought was, if I see the direction that openHABian is going, from a usability perspective it makes a lot of sense to expose the Karaf console so users really don’t have to muck around in the base OS much if at all (eventually, I don’t think the UIs are there yet but I think something like that should be a goal). I’m thinking of similar appliances like dd-wrt, OPNSence, PFSense, OpenELEC, XBMC (or whatever they are calling it these days), etc. They are all Linux (or FreeBSD in the case of OPNSense) but one almost never has to mess around with the base OS directly.

stupid question. …

can i use notepad in windows to create my item file and save it in the correct folder on the network