openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup

Interesting. Didnā€™t think about setcap. According to the following link, that could actually be the solution. @skatun would you test that?

If successful, this could easily be added to: https://github.com/openhab/openhabian/blob/master/openhabian-setup.sh#L333

1 Like

Hi, I have a quick question. I just updated my opnehabian installation using ā€œopenhabian-configā€ on a Raspberry Pi 3 and worked perfect!

I remember reading about possible problems updating (update / upgrade) the rest of my Pi . What would be the proper way to do it?

Thanks!

Hey Daniel,
this really depends on your current revision of openHAB. If it is more than ~three weeks old, you could get into problems with the folder restructure and jsondb switch. Check https://community.openhab.org/c/openhab-2/news-important-changes

If thatā€™s the case, itā€™s best to make a backup of your /etc/openhab2 if you created/modified files there, delete /etc/services/addons.cfg and then purge and reinstall openhab2. You will have to reinstall your bindings and rediscover your things and items (if not defined in config files)!
If you are not sure about the purge and reinstall process, think about a clean restart with openHABian v1.0. https://github.com/openhab/openhabian/releases

Thanks Thom for the quick response!

Since I only have 5 items, 3 bindings and 2 rules, I will rather do a clean installation (openHABian v1.0).

For future reference after the clean install. I assume it would be ok to update/upgrade when needed without issue, correct?

The mentioned two big changes were the last (expected) changes to the openHAB 2 snapshot state before the final version is released (soon).

So yes I believe from here on out you can just update. There will be one more change with the availability of openHAB 2.0 final: Switch from snapshot releases to stable releases in openHABian. This one will be handled by the update routine somehow and Iā€™ll inform you all about this in a news posting here in the forum. Stay tuned and remember to set this thread to ā€œWatchingā€.

A few days ago openHABian v1.0 was relased under the openhab organization and introduced in docs.openhab.org. Time for some statistics :wink:

Traffic graph for the last 12 days (only):

Download statistics:

• v1.0 download count: 607

• All releases download count: 2386

Iā€™m happy to see this much interest in the project. What better motivation to continue the work than that :wink:

6 Likes

For the non-RPi installs, should this now change to the OpenHab repo instead of the ThomDietrich repo?

Going to do this on a fresh Pine64 Ubuntu installā€¦donā€™t want to mess up step 1 :slight_smile:

Update on using openHABian for my Pine 64 installā€¦

I will submit issues for these, just let me know if you want one issue encompassing all of these, or one for each issue.

1. I had to install java before running the ā€œBasic Setupā€. Not sure if this is expected.
  2. Running the option to install java works, but installs 64-bit Java. This was not recommended in the past, I havenā€™t yet researched if this is still not recommended.
  3. Once Java was installed, the ā€œBasic Setupā€ and OpenHab install failed due to bad options. I removed these from the apt install step and it all seemed to work.

raspi-config oracle-java8-jdk

1. The scripts assume the user and groups are pi:pi. My install uses ubuntu:ubuntu, so I had to update the scripts to reflect that for the chown pi:pi commands.

Let me know if I am messing something up, or if you want issues created for the last 2 items listed.

if you miss something with raspbian liteā€¦

click & copy your desired packages here:

https://andrewvaughan.io/raspbian-i-love-you-but-youre-fat/

1 Like

Please have a look at:

Could you please add this package to openhabian?

THX

Hey Dominic,
Adding liblockdev1 to the openhab2 installation routine would be okay with me, Iā€™d like to wait a few more days to see where the discussion ends up. Not everyone was successful it seems. Also pay attention to: https://github.com/openhab/openhab-core/issues/101#issuecomment-269217655

I just installed and started setting up the new OpenHabian but one question since I am fairly new to this. Where can I access the log files that contain the UUID information so I can tie this to myopenhab?
Sorry I know the previous talks has been way past this point.

Have added a new pull request addressing need for a unified password change function and encryption for karaf password.
(Important if karaf is using same password as root user.)

Take a look over here:

Need some help to get whiptail background color working properly with checkboxes,

Finished of another smaller pull request today dealing with an optional addon, telldus-core.
Just a small service with associated samba share.

Gentlemen

A raw beginner here. Have just discovered openhab config. However, entering

sudo openhabian-config

Gives me ā€œcommand not foundā€.

Info:

• [09:25:07] pi@openHABianPi:~$ dpkg --status openhab2-offline
  • Package: openhab2-offline
  • Priority: optional
  • Section: misc
  • Installed-Size: 185944
  • Maintainer: openHAB admin@openhab.org
  • Architecture: all
  • Version: 2.0.0~20161227232754
  • Depends: adduser
  • Conflicts: openhab2-online
  • Conffiles:

Iā€™d have a guess that the conflict is a cause???

Many thanks in advance.

Try

sudo /opt/openhabian/openhabian-setup.sh

Hello Peter

That indeed is the trick. Many thanks!

Normally there should be a symlink from /opt/openhabian/openhabian-setup.sh to /usr/local/bin/openhabian-config so that simply ā€œsudo openhabian-configā€ would work.

Maybe your installation is somewhat old. I suggest to do an

"01 Update" and a 
"02 Basic setup"

in openhabian-setup.sh

1 Like

Hey shorty, thatā€™s a nice page indeed. Maybe Iā€™ll reference it in the Readme for whoever still wants to install the GUI. Thanks!

Iā€™ve answered you in your private message.