openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup

Still waiting for the issue ticket :wink:

Hi Thomas,

sorry I’ve oversee this post… many thx, just to doublecheck, if I download today the openhabian-ua-netinst-20161216-git52cc420 from https://github.com/openhab/openhabian/releases, I will get the latest release of openhabian?

Many thx in advance and kund regards

Peter

ill jave to join github.

@peterd That’s correct :wink:

@Branden_Smale Oh right, I forget that from time to time. It’s actually quite good to have an account as most real problem solving is done there :wink: Anyhow, if you rather not, I can create the ticket. I’ll look into the implementation some time soon…

That would be great, as it seems I have a Github account, but for whatever reason can’t sign in. I’ve tried to reset my password, but it says the email is not recognized…even though when I went to sign up, it said my email was already in the system, as well as my username…wierd…

maybe i broke github…site is down now…

3 Likes

Hi @ThomDietrich,

(mini)Howto install the eq3 “HM-MOD-RPI-PCB” module on Raspberry 2 with openHABian,
All steps was run after a clean OpenHABian installation…

01 | update the system
sudo apt-get update
sudi apt-get upgrade
sudo rpi-update

02 | edit file and add the line
sudo vim /boot/config.txt
enable_uart=1

03 | edit file and remove the following entrys
sudo vim /boot/cmdline.txt
console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1

04 | edit file and remove the following line
sudo vim /etc/inittab
T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyAMA0 115200 vt100

05 | disable getty service
sudo systemctl disable getty@.service

06 | reboot the system
sudo reboot

07 | check whether service is really no longer running, it is important that we do not receive any output
ps -A | grep getty
output: nothing

08 | check the ttyAMA0 rights
ls -l /dev/ttyAMA0
output: crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 204, 64 Jan 15 00:02 /dev/ttyAMA0

09 | run openhabian-config and execute entrys:
sudo openhabian-config
01 | Update
02 | Basic Setup
03 | Java 8
04 | openHAB 2
11 | Optional: Homegear
20 | Serial Port

• uncheck [ ] 1 Disable serial console

10 | reboot the system
sudo reboot

11 | edit file and remove the # symbole in the following lines
sudo vim /etc/homegear/families/homematicbidcos.conf

[HomeMatic Wireless Module for Raspberry Pi]
id = My-HM-MOD-RPI-PCB
deviceType = hm-mod-rpi-pcb
device = /dev/ttyAMA0
responseDelay = 95
gpio1 = 18

12 | restart homegear service
sudo /etc/init.d/homegear restart

13 | now you can pair homematic devices with homegear
14 |now you can install the homematic binding in openHAB

Hey @space4u great you got it working. You could have saved yourself a few steps:

• 01: openHABian starts by installing everything fresh, no upgrade needed.
  • 02: 08 are done for you by sudo openhabian-config --> Serial Port --> checking number 1
  • 09: 1-4 are not needed, that’s already done when you are first booting openHABian. I know that this is not stated anywhere and will fix that soon.

My Update did work. Thank you for your help.

Grafana sounds interesting - never heard about. What’s a good startingpoint?

And what is the nginx-Setting in your config-tool for?

Great :thumbsup:
I’ve written an exhaustive tutorial on Grafana: InfluxDB+Grafana persistence and graphing
Just select the nginx setting and you’ll see an extended description. Basically it will give you HTTPS and username:password authentication.

I also can’t get the built-in wi-fi to work on a Raspberry 3 that arrived today using the latest openHABian image. Using the recommended setup procedure from the Raspberry Pi website, when I try the command:

sudo iwlist wlan0 scan

I get an ‘iwlist’ command not found error

Also the wpa_supplicant.conf file (used to store the SSID and password) is not present.

Using a different sd card, installing the OS through NOOBS and enabling wi-fi through the desktop, the above command does what it should do (gives a list of available networks) and the wpa_supplicant.conf file contains the wifi details.

I’m using this RPi3 as a spare so if you want me to try out anything, let me know.

Did you install iwlist then? Maybe it’s as easy as that :slight_smile:

I was looking for a way to use user:pass - so thats great.
But I need it for the local network - and while it work now on port 80 with authentication, port 8080 is still available.
Is it possible to block the 8080-port?

Michael

You can’t install iwlist on its own but after a bit of searching I tried the following:

sudo apt-get install wireless-tools
sudo apt-get install wpasupplicant

Both installed but I now get a ‘wlan0 Interface doesn’t support scanning message’ when i use iwlist.

Also added this to etc/network/interfaces as suggested elsewhere:

allow-hotplug wlan0
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "*****"
wpa-psk "*****"

Again, no joy.

i just did an openhabian update, also openhab update, basic set up, as well as an apt-get update /upgrade. rebooted the pi. openhab is not running, get a connection refused message, any ideas?

Hi - i’m running openhabian since October. Now i’m planning to migrate my entire installation from sd to an external disk.
Is there a suggested procedure or i can use a generic tutorial like this one: http://elinux.org/Transfer_system_disk_from_SD_card_to_hard_disk ?

That’s a special usecase I didn’t see yet. Should be covered by the following solution, could you try please

Add the following line to /etc/default/openhab2:

EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS="-Dorg.apache.felix.http.host=127.0.0.1"

In the openHABian menu, there is an option for that. Only boot will stay on the sd card.
Another solution seems to be Berryboot. Check the comments above.

@Branden_Smale did you try sudo systemctl restart openhab2.service? Please check sudo systemctl status openhab2.service and /var/log/daemon.log as well as /var/log/openhab.log for suspicious lines.

… or, if using a RPi3, boot directly from a SSD USB Disk without the need of a sd card at all … but it’s still in Beta (but works flawlessly).

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/pi-3-booting-part-i-usb-mass-storage-boot/

nope. Even after restarting OH I can access :8080 without password.