openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup

For the non-RPi installs, should this now change to the OpenHab repo instead of the ThomDietrich repo?

Going to do this on a fresh Pine64 Ubuntu install…don’t want to mess up step 1 :slight_smile:

Update on using openHABian for my Pine 64 install…

I will submit issues for these, just let me know if you want one issue encompassing all of these, or one for each issue.

1. I had to install java before running the “Basic Setup”. Not sure if this is expected.
  2. Running the option to install java works, but installs 64-bit Java. This was not recommended in the past, I haven’t yet researched if this is still not recommended.
  3. Once Java was installed, the “Basic Setup” and OpenHab install failed due to bad options. I removed these from the apt install step and it all seemed to work.

raspi-config oracle-java8-jdk

1. The scripts assume the user and groups are pi:pi. My install uses ubuntu:ubuntu, so I had to update the scripts to reflect that for the chown pi:pi commands.

Let me know if I am messing something up, or if you want issues created for the last 2 items listed.

if you miss something with raspbian lite…

click & copy your desired packages here:

https://andrewvaughan.io/raspbian-i-love-you-but-youre-fat/

1 Like

Please have a look at:

Could you please add this package to openhabian?

THX

Hey Dominic,
Adding liblockdev1 to the openhab2 installation routine would be okay with me, I’d like to wait a few more days to see where the discussion ends up. Not everyone was successful it seems. Also pay attention to: https://github.com/openhab/openhab-core/issues/101#issuecomment-269217655

I just installed and started setting up the new OpenHabian but one question since I am fairly new to this. Where can I access the log files that contain the UUID information so I can tie this to myopenhab?
Sorry I know the previous talks has been way past this point.

Have added a new pull request addressing need for a unified password change function and encryption for karaf password.
(Important if karaf is using same password as root user.)

Take a look over here:

Need some help to get whiptail background color working properly with checkboxes,

Finished of another smaller pull request today dealing with an optional addon, telldus-core.
Just a small service with associated samba share.

Gentlemen

A raw beginner here. Have just discovered openhab config. However, entering

sudo openhabian-config

Gives me “command not found”.

Info:

• [09:25:07] pi@openHABianPi:~$ dpkg --status openhab2-offline
  • Package: openhab2-offline
  • Priority: optional
  • Section: misc
  • Installed-Size: 185944
  • Maintainer: openHAB admin@openhab.org
  • Architecture: all
  • Version: 2.0.0~20161227232754
  • Depends: adduser
  • Conflicts: openhab2-online
  • Conffiles:

I’d have a guess that the conflict is a cause???

Many thanks in advance.

Try

sudo /opt/openhabian/openhabian-setup.sh

Hello Peter

That indeed is the trick. Many thanks!

Normally there should be a symlink from /opt/openhabian/openhabian-setup.sh to /usr/local/bin/openhabian-config so that simply “sudo openhabian-config” would work.

Maybe your installation is somewhat old. I suggest to do an

"01 Update" and a 
"02 Basic setup"

in openhabian-setup.sh

1 Like

Hey shorty, that’s a nice page indeed. Maybe I’ll reference it in the Readme for whoever still wants to install the GUI. Thanks!

I’ve answered you in your private message.

Hey @david,
thanks for reporting on that! Great you gave it a go. Making openHABian compatible for Pine64 would be great!

1. Basic Setup will do these things right now. As you can see these are not closely linked to openhab. The important parts are the functions needed_packages and misc_system_settings. Maybe these should be outsourced. “I had to install java before” is not clear to me. It’s installed by needed_packages and besides there are no dependencies… Could you elaborate?
  2. I found your comment on that here but not much more. Why would 32 bit be preferred? If this is indeed the case, here’s the situation: openHABian installs oracle-java8-installer from the webupd8team apt source. Which additions would you need?
  3. It’s no wonder, that raspi-config is not found for other devices. I could make it conditional for Raspberry Pi only. Oracle java should not be a problem though
  4. This is a bit tricky but could actually be solved quite nicely by the contribution of @elias_gabrielsson. I’ll look into that.

Thanks for your feedback! Could you please create issues for all four points!? Danke

@ThomDietrich, I’ll get issues created for all of them later today.

For now here is some clarifiction

What I was intending to say is before I could get the “Basic Setup” to work, I had to run the “Install Java” step. Otherwise it would complain about the java dependencies, but wouldn’t actually install java. If the dependencies are supposed to be resolved automatically, then it seems that isn’t working quite right.

In regards to 32-bit vs 64-bit, my comment is based off information from last May, where 32-bit was preferred on 64-bit ARM due to performance issues and also issues with serial libraries (in particular with z-wave). Here is a link to the thread

Perhaps @Kai can confirm if 32-bit is still preferred on 64-bit ARM.

Confirmed.

Issue number #4 is no problem to change when my pull request is double checked and merged. The username and password is when building the image and then dynamic loaded on install.

Maybe you can change your script to load it dynamic from same file as my pull request?
See: https://github.com/EliasGabrielsson/openhabian/blob/password-change/openhabian-setup.sh#L36

Just used openhabianpi to upgrade my installation from OH1 to OH2, and what a great tool this is!! Everything was done and ready for me to start moving over my configs within an hour! Great job @ThomDietrich and everyone else who contributed!!

I am having issues connecting to the Karaf console (I did do the binding step in openhabian-config, but SSH connections don’t do anything, no text, no timeout, just sit there). Is there an additional step I’m missing?

I find it really slow first time I connect. It use to timeout first try, after that everything work as expected.

ssh openhab@localhost -p 8101