openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup

Thanks @bartus, happy to hear it’s working for you. This problem is kinda known. The system needs to calculate the SSH host key. This key will be generated upon first ssh connection attempt. On weaker system - in my experience everything weaker than a RPi 3 - this generation will make the first connection fail/timeout. Please try a second/third time, connection will succeed eventually. If not restart openhab (sudo systmctl restart openhab2.service).

Btw. on your openHABian system you’ll find the command (alias) karafshell.

Not ideal? Comment in the referenced thread. If the timeout thing is a problem for users, we could look into triggering the key generation at an earlier point in time, i.e. at setup time or as part of the apt installation process.

Thank you. I had to log into samba from different computer first. Kinda weird but worked fine after. Got the uuid and secret now working on thje connection to myopenhab. Thanks for all your support and efforts

Aha! Walked away from my computer for a few hours, and the key generation messages were waiting for me when I got back…so, another case of me being impatient :slight_smile:

I do think it’d be nice to make this part of the initial setup - I’m sure there’s more impatient users, not just me :wink:

1 Like

@Benjy What’s your opinion? I could build something in openHABian but would envision the generation of an the karaf host key as a step of the apt pre installation routine.

I agree that something might need to be done for slower machines running openhab for the first time. The initial hang can take a very long time and won’t get any better if the user thinks it’s a crash and tries to force a restart.

I don’t know as of yet how you could pre-generate the key. I’d assume the karaf documentation might give this away. The easiest thing to do is to generate a message on first launch to say that the key generation process might take time.

how i can binding a nanoCul for homematic devices? Cant find nanoCul. nanoCul works on raspberry 2 with FHEM.

gorgse

Hi,
This is my first post on this Forum so Hi everyone.
Although I’m not Linux guru I always thought I can follow simple step by step guide but…

I’m trying to get image of OpenHABian and I confused myself.
I was expecting to see some sort of .img file to download and put on SD using disk imager.
When using links here to download I’m getting repository open with various system files but nowhere .img.
(even considering copying all these files on SD card - it is not 64MB???)

Please enlight me what I’m missing here.

I’m sorry that so basic question is being ask here… newbee…

Thanks a lot and all the best in New Year!!!

Patryk

Start reading here: openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup
After a while of reading you will find a clickable link: https://github.com/openhab/openhabian/releases
DL your image and have fun.

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks Sihui, :flushed: I feel very embarrassed.
I readed all 408 pages of that forum but I was impatient to scroll to the bottom of downloads page thinking that links on the side are what I need.

Sorted now.
Thanks again.

No problem, happens to all of us from time to time :innocent:

Hello Peter (and other knowledgeable types : )

I have followed Peter’s advice and run sudo /opt/openhabian/openhabian-setup.sh which did indeed run the “menu”.

I have also run

"01 Update" and a 
 "02 Basic setup"

Which left me with no error messages.
“dpkg --status openhab2-offline” reports (edited)

Package: openhab2-offline
Priority: optional
Architecture: all
Version: 2.0.0~20170101125906
Depends: adduser
Conflicts: openhab2-online

Running
"sudo openhabian-config"

Still reports “command not found”

I have another odd behaviour where a sitemap setup in Habpanel does not show up in the IOS app although the default sitemap does.

I’m happy to accept that I don’t know enough so any advice is appreciated!

Cheers

Hello

It’s impressive, but I can not fix two problems with openhabian:

1.- GPIO does not work version 1.9.

I have done the GPIO group, I have openhab2 with root user. Nothing does not work

Always gives this error
(Ab binding.gpio.internal.gpiobinding) exception: / sys / class / gpio / export

2.- I can not run the Wifi.

Please, I beg for urgent help. I’m desperate

I’ve tried openHABian for the first time today and unfortunately, my installation fails. I am getting this error:

[openHABian] === Start executing ‘openhabian-setup.sh’ ===
[openHABian] Checking for root privileges… OK
[openHABian] Setting timezone (Europe/Berlin) and locale (en_US.UTF-8)… OK
[openHABian] Activating first boot script… OK
[openHABian] Setting the GPU memory split down to 16MB for headless system… OK
[openHABian] Installing basic can’t-be-wrong packages (screen, vim, …)… OK
[openHABian] Installing additional needed packages… OK
[openHABian] Adding slightly tuned bash config files to system… OK
[openHABian] Adding slightly tuned vim config file to system… OK
[openHABian] Downloading FireMotD… OK
[openHABian] Preparing Oracle Java 8 Web Upd8 repository… OK
[openHABian] Adding openHAB 2 Snapshot repositories to sources.list.d… FAILED
[openHABian] === Finished executing ‘openhabian-setup.sh’ ===
=== Finished executing post-install.txt. ===

Removing cdebootstrap-helper-rc.d… OK
Saving current time for fake-hwclock…
Installation finished at Mon Jan 2 12:14:56 UTC 2017 and took 33 min 23 sec (2003 seconds)

I’ve tried it two times with the exact same result. I’ve used the official 1.0 release on GitHub. Should I install the package openhab2-offline manually, as @Benjy suggested three months ago, or is this a different issue with a different solution?

There was an issue with the apt-get repo on cloudbees this morning, see here:

https://openhab.ci.cloudbees.com/job/openHAB-Distribution/

Build #690 wasn’t successful. Maybe that was just the time were you wanted to install OH2 using openHABian?

Meanwhile there is build #691 and you should try again and see if it works now.

Of course you can try a manual installation, but openHABian does so much more with just a press of a button…

1 Like

Thanks for pointing me to the CI server, @jaydee73. It was the broken build. Now everything is up and running. :smile:

1 Like

Hello there I just wanted to say I was brand new to both rPi and Openhab and wanted to try it out. I found openHABian, ordered a rPi3, followed the directions and it worked perfectly. Thank you!

2 Likes

I’m also loving openHabian and am grateful for all the work put into it.

I am having trouble getting audio to output properly to my USB sound card; I don’t think it’s a openHabian specific issue but am posting here in case there’s a connection. See my linked post:

I get this error: [openHABian] Adding openHAB 2 Snapshot repositories to sources.list.d… FAILED

I tried a few times:
sudo mv /boot/config-reinstall.txt /boot/config.txt
sudo reboot

I shows me this error all the time.

Same here. I just finished second attempt to OpenHabian deployment od my rPI 3 and fails with the same error message :frowning:

Same here. Tried three times now…always the same failure.

[openHABian] === Start executing ‘openhabian-setup.sh’ ===
[openHABian] Checking for root privileges… OK
[openHABian] Setting timezone (Europe/Berlin) and locale (en_US.UTF-8)… OK
[openHABian] Activating first boot script… OK
[openHABian] Setting the GPU memory split down to 16MB for headless system… OK
[openHABian] Installing basic can’t-be-wrong packages (screen, vim, …)… OK
[openHABian] Installing additional needed packages… OK
[openHABian] Adding slightly tuned bash config files to system… OK
[openHABian] Adding slightly tuned vim config file to system… OK
[openHABian] Downloading FireMotD… OK
[openHABian] Preparing Oracle Java 8 Web Upd8 repository… OK
[openHABian] Adding openHAB 2 Snapshot repositories to sources.list.d… FAILED