openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup

Oh that’s quite unfortunate! It would be great if we could solve that issue. I’m afraid I will not have the time to fix this problem myself in the next couple of days. Maybe somebody else could look into that?

In conclusion, which steps were needed in addition to the openHABian menu entry to get this far?

Nothing else so it was a bog-standard installation. I just entered the WiFi credentials via the Openhabian menu.

Tonight I have a fresh installation waiting, so I’ll attempt to recreate the issue and note anything interesting.

My mini-breakthrough does suggest that it’s possible under the WiFi setup where I’m staying (it’s a guesthouse so I don’t have access to any router settings, and being a guesthouse is the main reason why I want to move the Pi to my room and connect on WiFi!)

Openhabian menu? Didn’t know there was one.

Not everyone will go through 500 posts to find this so can I please suggest that the opening post of this thread and the main github entry is updated to include this.

You are absolutely right. I’ve been staling that task for many days now but already promised to another user to finish it till the end of this week!

If you want to know what’s going on, please check the few changelog entries, which are linked in the first post here.

The openhabian menu can be accessed by calling sudo openhabian-config on the SSH console.

the system is running, but still not able to access the web page. since its just my test aystem, just going to do a fresh install, no point in making thing difficult on me…plus, the more i do it, the more comfortable I’ll be with it!

Sorry I didn’t respond earlier. Sadly there was not much to go with. I hope it was just a hickup - Good luck with the Reinstall!!

oh, no issue…all good. thanks

I am a newbie on Linux/openhab/raspberry pi, I didn’t try with standalone openhab with noob/Jessie, I start with openhabian, I really have to say Openhabian should be a easy way to get starting especially not a Linux experienced user, unfortunately I still face many issue when get start, e.g.: I don’t realised samba were preconfigured and able to access to all config files( I thought it was for you to use as file server if you want), so at starting I spend many hours to google where is the file located, as not many YouTube video demo how to get start with openhab on raspberry pi, and the video I founded were instruct the items and things file should store under /home… ( I forgot next directory name, something like .openhab), I don’t know is that location for openhan V1 or other platform of openhab, and I can’t found the samba user ID and password, after google, I only can found the userid is openhab with Linux command but can’t get password,so I set another user Id to access. I think developer should write it in confit menu that would easier for newbie

Also at starting I don’t know how to restart the service of openhab as the command “sudo service openhab restart” is not accepted in openhabian, I finally found it here by google.

As I want to integrate to HomeKit, it tooks me many day to google where the issue is, first only can discover openhab with “not support”, as I use paper Ui, I don’t know there is a sub colum call tag, after configured Tag, finally I got switch show up in HomeKit and able to show the switches power status but no control, home kit think it have changed the power status but actually not, until I restart the service

So finally my conclusion is this is a great system, just sill need time to get better, always keep restart service when changes made as sometime it don’t need restart to accept changes but sometimes it do, now I am trying on itead sonoff and get stuck with the flashing, wish I can get it done and make it work with HomeKit asap.

Thank you all the developer of openhab and bring us a suck great system. Really appreciate your efforts.

Hello @hamwong,
I am not sure but from what you describe, it almost seems like you didn’t check the official openHAB 2.0 documentation page yet. Most of what you are uncertain about is described in detail there: http://docs.openhab.org/installation/linux.html

The description in the first posting here in this thread mentions that Samba is preconfigured and the login and password are mentioned as last step of the setup instructions. Finally the docs.openhab.org articles on Linux and Raspberry Pi are linked at the bottom of the posting. I’m confused where exactly you got lost here. I this will help you get more accustomed with openHABian and openHAB. Happy Hacking!! Please let us know if you have any more questions, after you’ve checked the above.

The solution is described here: Binding only to specific network interface - #5 by Kai

Started again from scratch, re-installed OpenHABian, this time used the menu and wi-fi works fine.

1 Like

Even after a reboot? @UglyKidJoe what’s up with your setup? :slight_smile:

Yes, even after a reboot.

Did a fresh install today, but removed the snapshot and installed RC1. I cannot log into Karaf - “habopen” seems to be wrong. Can I change the password?

Are you sure you gave karaf enough time to generate it’s host key? That’s a nuisance that will soon be in the past: https://github.com/openhab/openhab-linuxpkg/issues/15

Yes I think so …

[20:35:46] pi@openHABianPi:~$ rm /home/pi/.ssh/known_hosts
[20:36:03] pi@openHABianPi:~$ ssh openhab@localhost -p 8101
The authenticity of host ‘[localhost]:8101 ([127.0.0.1]:8101)’ can’t be established.
DSA key fingerprint is ab:cd:keyxxxxxx.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added ‘[localhost]:8101’ (DSA) to the list of known hosts.
Password authentication
Password:
Password authentication
Password:

Oh okay…

(side note, do not use the first command. It’s probably not wrong here and now)

You will find a function to change the password for the karaf console through sudo openhabian-config

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I can only find the option (06) to bind Karaf to all interfaces. Which setting is it that you are referring to?

Thanks in advance.

It’s the one. I’ve just combined both actions as one (binding, changing password), could have made that clearer.
If you do not want to bind to all interfaces (in a local subnet will probably not hurt): http://docs.openhab.org/administration/console.html#bind-console-to-all-interfaces Here you can find the command you’ll need to execute.

1 Like

Sorry if this isn’t the right place.

I’m trying to install Habmin2. The only tutorial I’ve found hasn’t been updated last august and the instructions seem out of date. They reference a .jar file, but all I’m able to find on the Habmin github page is a tar file with a bunch of installation files.

Can someone forward me to an updated set of instructions, or is there a better way to install habmin2 on openhabian?

TIA