openHABian migration to 3.1 not working

Hi everyone,

I finally got around to update my openHAB installation running on the HW listed below. I was still running Debian Stretch and an early version of openHAB 2.5, so according to the docs, I pulled up openhabian-config (which prompted me to update itself, which I did) and then selected Menu option 03 to install openHAB 3. However, that failed, telling me something along the lines of openHAB 2.5.12 being scheduled to be installed.

I figured it might be due to openHAB 3 not being available for Stretch, so I first updated my installation using Menu option 02. Then, I changed sources to Buster and upgraded my OS using apt-get upgrade and apt-get full-upgrade. Now, I went back to openhabian-config and performed the upgrade using Menu option 03. It finally worked, but it seems like in this thread that my openHABian environment is stuck at 2.5. I am greeted by the old welcome logo saying version 2.5.12, there is also an error by “sed” that it can’t find the openhab2 version.properties file and the system data screen shown upon SSH login starts with “Unable to parse IP. Please debug.”, so something seems to be messed up.

I have since also tried to upgrade the openHABian OS environment via Menu option 42 - that claims to have completed, but it doesn’t change anything. However, I have noticed that the branch under Menu option 01 is still set to “Stable”. I can change it to openHAB 3 or Main, but when opening the menu again, it has reset to “Stable”.

Do you have any advice for me? I am wondering what I did wrong, since the thread I linked refers that this problem in Menu option 3 should be fixed, but it seems I still got stuck in that deadlock…
Thanks for any advice, and if I need to provide more info, please let me know!

Thanks,

iYassin

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: RPi 3B+
    • Java Runtime Environment: Java Zulu 11
    • openHAB version: 3.1.0

Without comprehensive logs of what you did (or probably even with any such) it’s impossible to comprehend what the current status of your system is, if that is critical or just cosmetic, and what you eventually did wrong so noone can truely advise how to proceed best from there.

Install a new system from scratch to a new SD card using latest openHABian image, export your old system’s OH config and import it to the new box. Should get you up in about one hour.

1 Like

OK sure, then I’ll go for that. Unfortunately I only have one SD though, so the procedure would be:

• Perform backup using Menu option 50
  • Pull the zip file from /var/lib/openhab/backups onto my PC
  • Set up the new system
  • Restore the zip file
  • Restore backup using Menu option 51

Correct?

Yes. But get another SD first. Keep your existing in case things go wrong.

4 Likes