Openhabian on ARM64

Either way OpenHAB is designed for home use with home hardware. In other words there are no serial ports.

22h ago you were claiming that typical home hardware, which we can easily agree that this is Raspberry Pi or something similar, has 5 serial ports … which I didn’t know for the exact UART number. Now I know, thank you. But I also proved a claim that you have to deal with UART’s (especially) when using RF HATs. This means home hardware and UARTS are a very real world combination. Using UART for a serial console is just one way of usage.

But they are USB, not standard serial ports which are usually RS-232 or RS-422.

RF gateways on USB exists, yes, but hats, which we are talking about here, are certainly not connected over USB but mainly over UART(s) and I2C(s). That’s why there are on a header.

A very simple example related to OpenHab:

Other than Raspberry Pi & clones what "hats: are available for OTS (off the shelf) home computers? I think somebody changed the discussion subject slightly.

:upside_down_face:

You are the one bringing home computers and servers into this topic. OpenHabian & OpenHab on whatever platform has a lot to do with UARTS and IO in general. And HATs, since I believe Rpi and other single board computers are, until someone proves otherwise, by far most used platform for things like this.

Don’t worry about.

The Idea of a Raspberry Pi is to use hats. There are several hats which use the serial port, but not for serial console but for communication e.g. with knx.
Afaik these hats are the reason why the serial console is disabled by default.

Ofc not. That is their (only) data connection to the main board.

Explain this: if Bluetooh is enabled, you obviously have a problem with lots of hats. If a serial console is enabled, problems are not that obvious.

Anyone can do the research which hats are designed out of the recommended design, needs all UARTS for their functioning or the only one messes up with a default serial console.

No, i am one of those people whose Raspberry is placed in a closed wall-mounted box. Should anything go wrong, it’s much more convenient to hook up a laptop with serial adaptor rather that a full-fledged hdmi monitor and keyboard

Stop stop stop…
We are discussing OpenHAB after all. An opensource DIY home automation platform. This has nothing to do with those young’uns
BTW, servers do have something like serial ports. It’s called Board Management Console. It’s not serial, but it’s a dedicated Ethernet port, to which a small embedded controller is hooked up. Accessible via telnet or ssh, allows to fully control the main board, even power it on/off. And even pretends to be a VGA text mode video card, sending text display over telnet, so that one could set up BIOS remotely

Almost every desktop. It is often left unused because “who needs that crap”, but it is there, but you can buy a connector with a plate, fit it on the back of your PC, and connect to a pin header on the motherboard.
Yes, it’s a very niche thing these days, but when an equipment is operated remotely (and this is NOT a typical consumer case), it comes very handy.
Or show me a usb cable with this functionality

Most of smaller boards powered by Armbian (Nanopi, Orangepi Zero, Zero+) has g_serial functionality enabled by default - if you power the board from USB attached to the computer, or power somewhere else and attach it to mUSB port, a serial console will pop up on the host. On bigger, this must be enabled by hand … I am not familiar if this feature also works on Rpi4. But it has one limitation. System has to boot to the login prompt. At least by default … could be hacked once to be brought up earlier in the boot process …