openHABian / Services freezes

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

I hate unstable systems :face_with_monocle:
I wish I could help more… I am switching off for tonight :slight_smile:

No, i don´t have a Logitech Harmony Hub.
What i´ve done now is to clone the SD Card with “dd” to a new one…only to make sure it´s not the SD card.
I double checked syslog, dmesg, debug, kern.log, messages, openhab.log, homegear.log, homegear.err but none of them show errors that give me a hint.

Should I try to move to 2.2 snapshot? Now it’s not working at all; couldn’t get any worse with 2.2, could it?

Switching now over to 2.2 “unstable” to see if it’s more stable than the 2.1 “stable”. If the problem vanishes, fine - and if not, I’ll open a bug request in github.

I’m using the unstable branch since almost 3 years now and only had issues two or three times. Reverting back is easy so almost no risk … good luck.

2 Likes

Running 2.2 now - cannot tell much at the moment except that the load on the single cores seems to spread across all cores, not only one core at 100%. Will post an update later. Thanks for all your contribution, especially @Dim

1 Like

Running stable on 2.2 for two hours now, no delays anymore, system is fully responsive. Whatever these problems caused, they are gone now with 2.2 “unstable”.

2 Likes

My excitment was premature - it happened again:

@Thorhammer, do you use Homekit integration? Now I get JAVA exceptions from HomeKit…maybe this causes the crashes?

Hi Robert,

yes i do but i don´t have java exceptions…not yet :wink:
So now since changing the SD card…more then 24h stable system. So let´s see if this was the error. I´ll keep you informed.

Still stable?

hi, yes still stable. I´ve ordered a second PI and i´ll test the card in the new PI.

Moved to an USB-SSD, system still crashing. I guess it has to do with some of my rules where I try to process numeric values coming from MQTT. But even if I have some error in my rules, the system should not freeze/crash that way.

Use the ESHD http://docs.openhab.org/installation/designer.html to check if you have any errors in your items, rules, …

Hi Robert,

i´m pretty sure its not related to errors in an rule or item that the system crashes the way your and my system do.
Since i´ve change the SD…no freeze so far. I´ve set up another system from scratch to test the “old” SD Card.

@Thorhammer, then we have two different issues. I commented the suspected rule out - and my system runs stable for 18 hours now.
@sihui, I do use the ESHD but it shows me a lot of errors where are none. So, the highlighting feature is a kind of useless - at least for me.

I will now reacitvate everything step by step and watch, when the system starts to crash.

It catches a lot of the basic stuff. If you are an experienced programmer, you are right, they don’t make typos. :rofl:

@Boby,
seems so :thinking:. Is it only one rule or the hole rule file? Could you paste the rule here?

Any news? Since 2.1 openhab2 freezes every few days.

I’m starting to experience Openhab crashing. It started last Thursday. Today it crashed in the morning and in the afternoon. Any suggestions on how to debug this issue?

openHABianPi
Release = Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)
Kernel = Linux 4.9.35-v7+
Platform = Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2
openHAB 2.3.0~20180305033341-1 (Build #1222)