Openhabian, unsure how to access samba share or change samba config in SSH

Hello everyone, fresh user here(less than 24 hours!)

I am in the process of setting up my first openHAB install, and while going through various things have found out that I cannot access the samba share that is built into openhabian.

I did set the password via SSH when I did my setup, but am unable to access the share. I am connecting with a Windows 10 PC, and am unsure what the user ID is. That being said, I know there should be a samba conf in my file structure but I am unsure where it is located and cannot seem to find it with SSH.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am ready to start making my devices do things!

Thanks in advance

• Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3
  • openHAB version: 2.2.0
  • Issue of the topic: can’t access samba share

How did you set the samba password? Did you use sudo smbpasswd openhabian as described in
https://docs.openhab.org/installation/openhabian.html#further-config ?

I don’t use openhabian, but thesamba config should be in /etc/smb.conf.

Hi j_d

I did infact set the password from ssh using the command “sudo smbpasswd openhabian”

To add a little detail, I can see the share on my network but when I try to login I cannot.

I’ve tried “openhabian” as the user name along with the password I have set and it does not work.

To be honest, I would like to setup samba for guest access at this point as it would make things easy for me(yes I know security security, this can be addressed later after I am done messing with everything for setup.)

I wanted to update this for anyone who runs across it.

I did solve this. I had to change the name of the computer that I was trying to use to connect. I stumbled across someone on the web who had a similar issue and did the same. I still do not know why openHABian thought that the pc had a connection to it, because it DID NOT.

It seems I’ve also ran onto an issue where bindings get uninstalled by the system when installing new bindings…I’m going to make a separate post for this issue.