Openhab's z-wave DB needs updating or am I missing something?

I have spent hours trying to find out how to fix this issue.
I bought a Zooz ZSE29 Z wave motion detector installed on a Pi3+ the latest snapshot build using Zwave bindings. The binding detected the device very quickly, but in the ‘thing’ page =

D ### Z-Wave Node 005 (027A:0001:0005:1.1)
Unknown Device
zwave:device:95326799:node5

With the following rather than an "Item’ & ‘chanel’

Z-Wave Node 005 (027A:0001:0005:1.1)

Unknown Device
This device has not been fully discovered by the binding. There are a few possible reasons for this -:

• The device is not in the database. If the device attributes show that this device has a valid manufacturer ID, device ID and type, then this is likely the case (eg. you see a label like " Z-Wave node 1 (0082:6015:020D::2.0) "). Even if the device appears to be in the database, some manufacturers use multiple sets of references for different regions or versions, and your device references may not be in the database. In either case, the database must be updated and you should raise an issue to get this addressed.
  • The device initialisation is not complete. Once the device is included into the network, the binding must interrogate it to find out what type of device it is. One part of this process is to get the manufacturer information required to identify the device, and until this is done, the device will remain unknown. For mains powered devices, this will occur quickly, however for battery devices the device must be woken up a number of times to allow the discovery phase to complete. This must be performed with the device close to the controller.

In my research I find the device is approved and listed in the GitHub database but NOT listed in the Openhab documentation data base.

So how do I get the OpenHab DB updated or fix my dilemma?

me to
brand new fibaroFGMS-001 and Dome doing same

As the device is in the database option 2 is your dilemma:

The device initialisation is not complete.

So just follow those steps to proceed.

Please provide more details…

I am sorry if I don’t get it I am new to this. Again, I did the inclusion, the device shows ‘online’, I update the polling and wake-up times, the log shows the device as responding but I still have no item for a channel and it still says “unknown”. The DB you referred to, has the device listed. BUT I open the binding under Paper UI to see “Supported Things” and my device is not there. Are you saying I need to manually install the information? Cause that is above my knowledge level.

You need to create items (or in Simple Mode let openHAB create items for you) and then link those to channels.

But let’s go back a step:
to get a zwave device working you need:

• to include the device into your network. This is done by setting the binding into inclusion mode (via PaperUI or HABmin) and then putting the device into inclusion mode (by pressing a sequence of button('s) according to the device manual). You will have 30 seconds (by default) to do that.

• After that the device should be in your PaperUI or HABmin inbox. If not, it is either unknown in the database (which here is not the case) or it has not finalized intitalization. This seems to be the case here. To solve that you need to wake up the device manually (again, by pressing a sequence of button(s) according to the section “Wake up manually” in your device manual.

Or you just don’t touch the device for let’s say 24, better 48 hours until it wakes up on its own (this is also in your manual).

Thank you for your patience with me. What you wrote I have done.

#1 On my Pi Openhab Paper UI: It’s listed in the “Configuration/thing’ setup as online but unknown Doesn’t this mean it’s seen by the network? It showed up when I did the inclusion and in the log it shows the polling sequences every 10 minutes.

#2 I set the wakeup to 600 and polling to 10 minutes As per the documentation. It’s been that way since our last email on Jan31st. Also the device is less than 15 feet from the USB hub.

Then I found here> https://www.openhab.org/addons/bindings/zwave/doc/things.html that this device is NOT in the list. So my simple mind says it’s not in a DB though in the Github DB. I have been working 30 plus years in computer networking / network administration but I admit this “Openhab” is new to me. I have seen where documentation does not often paint the whole picture. Is the Github a master DB and there is a secondary DB as shown by the link I supplied? Again thank you for your time.

Rick

That means the device is included to your zwave the controller.

Again, you will need to wake the device up manually (push a button, see the manual)

Nope, that is just the documentation extracted from the database here: https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-list
The database gets exported to the github repo regularly, usually every couple of days depending on how much time the developer has :sunglasses:
The docs sometimes need a little bit longer to show up.

Your best bet is to make sure you are on the latest zwave snapshot binding jar and then … wake the device up (I would start with clicking the tamper button once, then wait a couple of seconds, press it again once, wait, press … If that does not help, press the tamper button three times rapidly (make sure you are not putting the binding in exclusion or inclusion mode during that time!), repeat this until the device gets initialized).
Have fun and good luck.

Edit:

Okay, you are already on the latest snapshot. So it is simply a problem of missing wake up’s

Thank You for your explanation. I have followed your directions many times. I watched the flashing led on the Zwave USB hub and noticed that it changed slightly when I hit the tamper button. So it appears to be talking but I still have an Unknown in the thing page. Also noticed the log reflects it too.

“2019-02-02 09:47:11.216 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - zwave_serial_zstick_95326799_serial_sof changed from 683 to 684

2019-02-02 09:47:11.226 [me.event.ThingUpdatedEvent] - Thing ‘zwave:device:95326799:node5’ has been updated.

2019-02-02 09:47:12.223 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - zwave_serial_zstick_95326799_serial_ack changed from 193 to 194”

Is there a way to manually create an ‘item’? I am weak in programming but I will try.

Sure: Items | openHAB

But that won’t help if the device is unknown …

Are you sure you are on the latest snapshot zwave binding???
What does

bundle:list | grep ZW*

give you on the karaf console?

206 x Active x 80 x 2.4.0 x EWave Binding

There is your problem: you are on the stable release.
You need to upgrade your zwave binding to the latest 2.5 snapshot (plenty of posts in this forum on how to do that)

@Rick_Marshall
I just wanted to mention that I just got a few new zwave sensors and the one sensor, a Dome, the button had to be pushed a bunch of times. I sat pushing the button continuously, three press, wait 30 seconds or so, repeat for probably ten minutes. The Dome finally got recognized.

My new Fibaro however has not been recognized yet despite numerous button pressing tries. I also figured overnight a few times it would pick it up during nightly heal but neither did anything on their own overnight.

Here is a thread about my Fibaro. The last post by Alex (post 11) links to another similar thread about zwave things and the database ect. I’m guessing my Fibaro is not in the database? I’m running stable 2.4 with whatever zwave version came in stable 2.4

You just need to compare device type and device id from your xml file in your userdata/zwave folder to the data in the database AND make sure you are running the latest 2.5 snapshot zwave binding.
And please don’t crosspost the same problem to different topics …

I was trying to help out op with my experience and point him towards more infos… sorry

No problem … but then don’t ask questions in the context of your answers :sunglasses:

Thank you for the information! It’s tough not to have the ultimate knowledge. ;-(

Thank you, SiHui I upgraded and the device is now recognized.

1 Like