OpenUV Free Account: changes

Hi folks,

considering last email by OpenUV

For someone who missed my first email, starting from 1 Feb 2019 we're going to introduce some important changes to our Pricing Policy and Terms Of Service.

What changed:
Free Plan is still there but its daily quota will be limited to 50 free requests per day since 1 of February 2019 for all free plan users.
A new Fixed-Priced Plan is introduced. The plan offers up to 15'000 reqs/daily for $7.99 per month.
Important: All users who're currently using unlimited plan will be automatically moved to the Fixed-Priced Plan and billed based on the new pricing.
We also happy to offer Unlimited Plan for established enterprise clients. To get your personal quote contact us on support@openuv.io.
What to do next:
If your happy with less than 50 reqs per day then do nothing. Otherwise, consider to update your service background logic and decrease the number of API calls to consume the free API quota more effectively (for example - skip the nighttime updates). 

what do you think if we should implement in the Binding the possibility to poll the service only during the daylight hours?

We need to manage 50 requests per day. Now it means a request every 30 mins. We should stay focused only on 8AM - 8 PM (or even less) and increase to 12 hours -> a request every 15 mins.

Does it make any sense?

@glhopital are you the maintainer of this binding? what do you think?

Thanks
Andrea

@ariela : yes, I’m this binding maintainer and your suggestion is a neat way to enhance it and help stay in free plan, but this also has to take in account the location you’re querying. I’ll think of this when I’ll update the binding.

1 Like

@glhopital

ciao, I don’t know if this is related to the changes ongoing in free account, but starting from (yesterday?) I see OpenUV Binding in unknown state with this log:

2019-02-04 18:41:54.872 [WARN ] [mmon.WrappedScheduledExecutorService] - Scheduled runnable ended with an exception: 
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
	at org.openhab.binding.openuv.internal.handler.OpenUVReportHandler.scheduleUVMaxEvent(OpenUVReportHandler.java:102) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.binding.openuv.internal.handler.OpenUVReportHandler.updateChannels(OpenUVReportHandler.java:130) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.binding.openuv.internal.handler.OpenUVReportHandler.lambda$1(OpenUVReportHandler.java:122) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:308) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:294) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:?]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:?]
2019-02-04 18:41:54.985 [WARN ] [mmon.WrappedScheduledExecutorService] - Scheduled runnable ended with an exception: 
	at org.openhab.binding.openuv.internal.handler.OpenUVReportHandler.scheduleUVMaxEvent(OpenUVReportHandler.java:102) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.binding.openuv.internal.handler.OpenUVReportHandler.updateChannels(OpenUVReportHandler.java:130) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.binding.openuv.internal.handler.OpenUVReportHandler.lambda$2(OpenUVReportHandler.java:161) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:?]
2019-02-04 18:41:55.106 [WARN ] [mmon.WrappedScheduledExecutorService] - Scheduled runnable ended with an exception: 
	at org.openhab.binding.openuv.internal.handler.OpenUVReportHandler.lambda$2(OpenUVReportHandler.java:161) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293) ~[?:?]
2019-02-04 18:41:55.214 [WARN ] [mmon.WrappedScheduledExecutorService] - Scheduled runnable ended with an exception: 
2019-02-04 18:41:55.349 [WARN ] [mmon.WrappedScheduledExecutorService] - Scheduled runnable ended with an exception: 
2019-02-04 18:41:55.356 [INFO ] [enhab.binding.astro.internal.job.Job] - Scheduled Astro event-jobs for thing astro:sun:local
2019-02-04 18:41:55.420 [INFO ] [o.internal.handler.AstroThingHandler] - Scheduled Positional job astro:sun:local every 300 seconds
2019-02-04 18:41:55.470 [WARN ] [mmon.WrappedScheduledExecutorService] - Scheduled runnable ended with an exception: 

Dunno if this is related to:

But #467 should be already merged.

Openhabian #1512 here.

thanks

Andrea

Perhaps rather than trying to figure out the location and adjust the frequency / time window, just determine the next poll based on the UV index itself. If the UV Index is very low, the next update will be in an hour or more. If the UV index is high, update up to every 15 minutes.

Since the binding implements REFRESH, this can be done within a rule.

For the first step, I have implemented a simple cron based rule:

1. Set the Thing refresh to 24 hours 1440mins
  2. Create a rule like this (in jython)
@rule("OpenUV Manual Update")
@when("Time cron 0 0/15 7-16 * * ?")
@when("Time cron 0 0 5,6,17,18,19 * * ?")
def refresh_uv_data(event):
    events.sendCommand("UV_Index", "REFRESH") # My item is called UV_Index

I’m still tweaking the timing, but might resort to scheduling it based on the uv index value itself.

1 Like

Question is: any “REFRESH” action is a Binding call?

I mean, the binding is not one item (I have 11 items configured using that binding), so if any REFRESH action is a Binding call, that is not working for me (we will finish the free account in 4 calls :))

what you think?

Andrea

@glhopital

Did you have a chance to think about it?

thanks for your support
ciao

Andrea

I will take a look at this

1 Like

FYI this is what I’m trying to do right now, just for your information:

other interesting threads:

(it’s Home Assistant, but I think the issue is the same)

There is an issue in tracking the Sun activities, if I well understand. I would suggest, if possible, to track the solar radiation from Astro Binding (or doing the same), in order to be sure the model will be applicable at any latitude.

Does it make any sense?

Andrea

PR pushed here

1 Like

Thank you @glhopital

Any idea to increase the frequency of refresh when the UV reaches high levels?

You should add, for example, the radiation item from Astro Binding, and add the possibility to set at least 2 thresholds with different refresh Tim.

for example, from radiation x to radiation y refresh any z minutes :slight_smile:

Radiation should be also enough, you don’t need sun elevation. (if radiation is 0, there is no sun :))

does it make any sense?

thanks again for your support
Andrea