PaperUI Channel Linking not working (Simple Mode on)

Dear Community,

I am experiencing a strange situation.
I have setup a new thing in the PaperUI with simple mode on.
I made several changes and activated or deactivated some channels.
Somehow, I think certain channels have been disables without my knowledge.

However, the real issue is that I cannot activate these channels by simply clicking on it. The message “channel linked” appears, but the circle is not filled, nor is an event displayed in the Log (Debug enabled).
Disabling an active channel is possible (LOG entry appears) and can be re-enabled correctly (log entry appears as well).

Does anybody have an idea what to do?

I am runnning OpenHab 2.4 on a Debian 9 via repo.

Regards
Bueddy

Maybe restart OpenHAB or reboot the box ?
It seems to me not hard to be buggering around with stuff and get things kind of sideways. A restart or two usually restores normal

Do you also have the affected channels attached to items in .items files? I’ve noticed that I’ll get an error message if I try to reactivate an item in Paper UI that’s also in a items file. This sounds a little different from what you’re experiencing, though.

Good morning.

Yes, I have restarted the OpenHab instance several times. Even reootet the LXC Container hosting it. But the situation did not change.

No the affacted channels are not linked in my items files.
All linked channels can be unlinked and linked again. I get this log entries:

08:21:45.141 [INFO ] [ome.event.ItemChannelLinkRemovedEvent] - Link 'solaredge_generic_PV_live_consumption => solaredge:generic:PV:live#consumption' has been removed.
08:21:46.805 [INFO ] [thome.event.ItemChannelLinkAddedEvent] - Link 'solaredge_generic_PV_live_consumption-solaredge:generic:PV:live#consumption' has been added.

Channels not linked cannot be linked and there are no Log entires.

I found this Post to switch on debug logging in Paper UI, but it did not work.

@Bruce_Osborne:
I am well aware, that this is not a help desk and everybody is volunteering.

Thanks and regards
Bueddy

What happens if you delete one of the affected things in PaperUI and then rediscover it?

I have just delated one thing and recreated.

When I use the same thing ID the channel configruation stays as it was.
I am unable to link new channels. Thing is called PV.

When I create the thing with a new ID all channels are not linked and linking is not working in paperui, however the meassage appers in the ui. Thing is called PV2.

See the Log where everything seems to be right:

2019-07-31 09:43:41.691 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'solaredge:generic:PV' changed from ONLINE: logged in to REMOVING
2019-07-31 09:43:41.697 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'solaredge:generic:PV' changed from REMOVING to REMOVED
2019-07-31 09:43:41.699 [temChannelLinkRemovedEvent] - Link 'solaredge_generic_PV_live_production => solaredge:generic:PV:live#production' has been removed.
2019-07-31 09:43:41.708 [temChannelLinkRemovedEvent] - Link 'solaredge_generic_PV_live_pv_status => solaredge:generic:PV:live#pv_status' has been removed.
2019-07-31 09:43:41.717 [temChannelLinkRemovedEvent] - Link 'solaredge_generic_PV_live_consumption => solaredge:generic:PV:live#consumption' has been removed.
[snip]
2019-07-31 09:43:42.057 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'solaredge:generic:PV' changed from REMOVED to UNINITIALIZED
2019-07-31 09:43:42.058 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'solaredge:generic:PV' changed from UNINITIALIZED to UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR)
2019-07-31 09:43:42.059 [me.event.ThingRemovedEvent] - Thing 'solaredge:generic:PV' has been removed.
2019-07-31 09:44:23.376 [.ItemChannelLinkAddedEvent] - Link 'solaredge_generic_PV_live_production-solaredge:generic:PV:live#production' has been added.
2019-07-31 09:44:23.384 [.ItemChannelLinkAddedEvent] - Link 'solaredge_generic_PV_live_pv_status-solaredge:generic:PV:live#pv_status' has been added.
2019-07-31 09:44:23.426 [.ItemChannelLinkAddedEvent] - Link 'solaredge_generic_PV_live_consumption-solaredge:generic:PV:live#consumption' has been added.
[snip]
2019-07-31 09:45:56.830 [.ItemChannelLinkAddedEvent] - Link 'solaredge_generic_PV2_live_export-solaredge:generic:PV2:live#export' has been added.
2019-07-31 09:45:56.838 [.ItemChannelLinkAddedEvent] - Link 'solaredge_generic_PV2_live_grid_status-solaredge:generic:PV2:live#grid_status' has been added.
2019-07-31 09:45:56.846 [.ItemChannelLinkAddedEvent] - Link 'solaredge_generic_PV2_aggregate_day_production-solaredge:generic:PV2:aggregate_day#production' has been added.
[snip]
2019-07-31 09:45:57.121 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'solaredge:generic:PV2' changed from UNINITIALIZED to INITIALIZING
2019-07-31 09:45:57.122 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'solaredge:generic:PV2' changed from INITIALIZING to UNKNOWN: waiting for web api login
2019-07-31 09:46:17.513 [me.event.ThingUpdatedEvent] - Thing 'solaredge:generic:PV2' has been updated.
2019-07-31 09:46:47.615 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'solaredge:generic:PV2' changed from UNKNOWN: waiting for web api login to ONLINE: logged in

I think something has gone awry in your JSONDB, but I know next to nothing about that.

This discussion feels like it might be related:

@rlkoshak, have you seen this behaviour before? In your linked post you suggested that manually editing the JSONDB might be necessary to fix it, but I’m not sure if that’s the same issue.

Turn off Simple Mode. There is likely something going funky with what it is doing and you will outgrow Simple Mode quickly and then be unhappy with the Item names chosen and end up needing to recreate those.

Once you disable Simple mode, delete the Items that were created, assuming they exist at all.

Then create new Items and then try to link the Channels to that new Item.

Watch openhab.log and events.log as you do all of this.

1 Like

I think it is safer to unlink them from the channels & then delete the items, right?
I do not know if it is safe to delete linked items.

The messages received indicate the Items are probably not Linked.

Sorry, I confused this with another thread with linked items.

I have switched off simple mode and can manually link items in paperui now.

I used to switch on the whole things in paper ui to see what infrmoation the channles provide and if i like to use it or not. Everything I like to have will end in my config files.

Many thanks to all of you.