Persistence and HAB Panel charts

Look for help the rrd4j persistence. I believe I have it setup correctly because I have an Insteon power meter feeding data to rrd4j. I’m able to add charts to HAB Panel with historical data.

I have now added two items from the OpenWeatherMap (local temperature and cloudiness) to the rrd4j.persist file. I cannot get the weather data to graph out, no data is showing.

My power meter charts continue to update appropriately.

// persistence strategies have a name and a definition and are referred to in the “Items” section
Strategies {
// for rrd charts, we need a cron strategy
everyMinute : “0 * * * * ?”
everyfiveMinutes : "* 0/5 * ? * * "
everyHour : “0 0 * * * ?”
everyDay : “0 0 0 * * ?”
default = everyChange
}
Items {
//
: strategy = everyChange, restoreOnStartup
RefrigeratorPowerMeter_KilowattHour, RefrigeratorPowerMeter_Watts : strategy = everyMinute, restoreOnStartup
LocalWeatherAndForecast_Current_OutdoorTemperature, LocalWeatherAndForecast_Current_Cloudiness : strategy = everyChange, everyminute
KitchenCeilingLights_Dimmer, KitchenCountertopLights_Dimmer, RockLamps_Group, DeckCeilingFan_Fan : strategy = everyChange, restoreOnStartup
}

All these items have RRD files in the OpenHAB directory but I’m unable to read them.

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

What are you reading them with?

As per the docs, you must use everyMinute with RRD4J - it’s default strategy to consolidatedata over time relies on that. So that explains that group not working.

Your weather entry looks more sensible. RRD4J only works with numeric Items, but let’s assume these are.
If it is not working, you might look at the means you edit it with - xxx.persist files are picky about correct newline characters, utf-8 encoding etc.

Your defined strategy is named “everyMinute”.

1 Like

I tried with MS Notepad and Visual Studio Code.

Temperature (F) and Cloudiness (%) should a numeric items but I will look into the formatting.

I’m using Visual Studio Code to edit my files. Is that a mistake here?

.rrd files are written in binary mode, they can’t be read by an ordinary text-editor. The software to read and write to .rrd files I know of is the RRD-Inspector.
OpenHABs REST DOCS is able to read values as well.