Philips LTA001 bulb; dimmer and colortemperature: no reaction on bulb

No, but I think I need one. Right now I am fumbling around in the dark.
I have six buildings I want to cover (I have a farm). Without good troubleshooting tools a project like this would be more like Don Quixote fighting windmills.

Suggestions on good sniffers are most welcome :slight_smile:

I’d suggest to use an Ember stick. In theory you can use TI sticks, but I’ve not personally got it to work. The following are instructions and software required.

Instructions

Software

1 Like

Excellent, thanks!

I already have a Bitronvideo BV 2010/10 so if getting one more, maybe it could double as a backup stick?

Backup is another topic I need to look into.

That’s another quite complex discussion with ZigBee. It is possible with the Ember sticks though, but only the Ember provides the functions to be able to back up the coordinator state.

Again, thank you.
I was just reading a thread here where you mention ember and the console netbackup command.
I will look into that.

1 Like

I got the new stick for the sniffer.
And after the initial “WTF am I looking at” :smiley: I found this:

The bulb just decides to leave after 10-15 seconds.
The exchange coordinator <-> bulb looks normal between association and leave.

More investigation is required. Including moving the sniffer-stick to a Rpi for remote sniffing.

You’ve filtered the log - I’m assuming there is more traffic between these Join/Leave commands?

What version of the binding are you using? How old is this device?

Yes, filtering to get a overview.
Binding is the newest stable from yesterday 2.5.5-1.
Bulb is new, bought around christmas.
It has the newest firmware (updated on Hue hub).
Found I had one more LTA001 on the Hue hub, and it behaves the same on zigbe-binding.

I can pm you a package-dump if you want to take a look into the traffic.

Yes please.

I tried searching for this on Amazon but it doesn’t come up with anything - what exactly is that bulb? I might get one for testing. I’ve got around a dozen different bulbs here though - many ZB3.0 certified and they all join fine.

One last question - what firmware does your Ember stick have?

1 Like

The bulb is one of the newer models with bluetooth.
It is a “White ambiance” E27. This one looks similar:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambiance-Edison-Bluetooth-Assistant/dp/B07SR3DTPG/ref=pd_bxgy_2/257-5638300-4109167?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07SR3DTPG&pd_rd_r=51b2090f-a244-4272-a8b7-8722c204a940&pd_rd_w=nto18&pd_rd_wg=kM1cp&pf_rd_p=106f838b-b7d1-46e9-83e0-f70facc857bf&pf_rd_r=2PMSSKJE9A2ZBFPE690F&psc=1&refRID=2PMSSKJE9A2ZBFPE690F
Luckily I still have the package, it has the zigbee certifed
logo and text

Firmware on my Bitronvideo 2010/10 is 5.8.0.0

I’m trying to work out if these all use ZigBee - they only talk about Bluetooth. Eg is this one also “the same” - it’s a single and only £14. Neither the one you linked or this one mention ZigBee though, so I’m just a bit wary :wink: In the past I would always assume a Hue bulb used ZigBee/ZLL, but I’m not sure if that’s the case now?

That’s very old, but it should still include the ZB3.0 join changes.

hehe, I really see no point in bluetooth on product like this. I have only tested it.
But I can use bluetooth to upgrade the firmware in the bulb without a Hue-hub.
Zigbee is the only reason I have them :slight_smile:
I guess salespeople are not into the more geeky side of home-automation.

It is a difference between bulbs marked “White” and “White Ambience”.
I guess the same single-packaged bulb I have is this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambiance-Single-Bluetooth-Assistant/dp/B07SS37Y3J/ref=pd_bxgy_2/257-5638300-4109167?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07SS37Y3J&pd_rd_r=dbcc931d-0954-4f97-a46c-ec0c191a4975&pd_rd_w=C5km2&pd_rd_wg=zgW7k&pf_rd_p=106f838b-b7d1-46e9-83e0-f70facc857bf&pf_rd_r=79NT2A7NWGDEFVGDJWPY&psc=1&refRID=79NT2A7NWGDEFVGDJWPY

hm, Is there a way to upgrade it?

I guess it gives the “direct from the phone” option…

If that’s all it is, then hopefully it’s the same firmware. I’ll buy one for testing as it’s not so expensive.

I think I know what the issue is - the bulb asks for a new TCLK after joining. This is normal - I’ve configured the coordinator to send the current TCLK rather than generate a new one. This works for most devices, but I’m thinking the Hue doesn’t like that! The problem with generating a new one for each device is there’s a limit to the key table size, so this will use memory and ultimately limit the network size which is why I’ve so far avoided it.

1 Like

Sorry - forgot to answer.

Yes, it can be upgraded. The problem is I’d need to generate some firmware and I don’t really want to get into the firmware production game for lots of different devices. Silabs used to create it and distribute default version but they stopped this a year or so back.

That would make sense. The more costly parts is the LEDs.

Is this a limit in the stick?
If all goes well I would end up with hundred or so devices…

I understand the implications.

So there is hope to find a copy somewhere.
I ended up with the Bitronvideos because I could not find any alternatives with the ember chip that looked more compatible with openhab and zigbee v3

There are two limits - firmware and hardware - both in the stick. Firstly there’s possibly a limit in the firmware (although it may be large - silabs don’t specify a maximum limit) and secondly the hard limit is the amount of memory available.

I’ve not looked at the impact of increasing the key table size - what happens is it will reduce the packet buffer size, but I’ll look at doing some quick tests to characterise this.

Yes, I can probably find some from a reasonably recent version. I think Silabs provided code up to around version 6.4 (we’re now at 6.7 I think). I’ll see if I can find something.

1 Like

Thank you for most excellent help and info.
I found the sniffer pdf to be very good and that helped me to get a initial grasp of zigbee communication.
I would be totally lost if it was not for the filtering tips.
The coloring helped too, to sort out the more important bits.

Just let me know if you want me to test something.

Great.
:smiley:

I just gave this a quick try using my debug system, and it joined ok. This isn’t exactly the same as the binding, but all the ZigBee code is the same. Also, it’s not an LTA001 - it’s an LWA001 (not sure what the difference is!).

Maybe it’s an issue with the firmware - I’m a bit hesitant to just dig out some random firmware in case you brick your device. What OS are you using? I have one of these here but it doesn’t work on a Mac but I might see if my linux system discovers it a bit later - I’d be happier if I could test it here before sending you something :wink: .

Node Info             Value
Application Version   2
Date Code             20190122
Generic Device Class  0
Generic Device Type   255
HW Version            1
Manufacturer Name     Philips
Model Identifier      LWA001
Power Source          1
Product Code          ByteArray [value=]
Product URL           www.meethue.com
SW Build ID           1.53.3_r27175
Stack Version         1
ZCL Version           2

Debian Buster on a Intel NUC so amd64 architecture for my openhab machine.
Debian Buster (and some) on my laptop.

Great,
I do have two of the bitronvideos, so not a big deal if one goes kaput :slight_smile:

So, the problem is with the Bitronvideo firmware? I have been investigating the web to update the firmware, some information found on the Home Assistant forums, but I didn’t find a proper ans secure way to do that. Any help on this will be appreciated.