Pi alternatives

A Pi is still well sufficient and there is no relevant change with 2.4 in terms of required ressources.
So if yours is sluggish then you need to find out why and optimize your setup. Eventually remove memory hogs like InfluxDB+Grafana, minimize paging etc.

I have a number of legacy xtend rules, and started transition to jython scripts. Since 2.4 release, the timing issue that affects the jython script is getting worse (core objects are not yet available when the jython rules are loaded). I’ve had to inject 40 sec delays to the first jython rule, and it is still hit or miss.

I don’t have InfluxDB + Grafana. But I’ve started testing matt’s IP Camera binding. A restart of OH now takes couple minutes. I think as long as we leave it, it is fine. But if we also develop on the PI, with multiple rules reloading each hour, it becomes slow.

That’s a different thing then (read: unrelated to memory usage). There’s at least one bug to cause OH to spend much more time on recompiling/reinitializing than it would need to when you change rules or items. Plus there’s specific code that if used makes compilation take much longer than without.
But this was not different in 2.3. And if you run x86 HW the faster processor might hide this a little but does not make the problem go away either.

1 Like

With Openhab 2.3 i never had memory problems on a raspberry 3. But with Openhab 2.4 and the Android App i have crashes every few weeks.

1 Like

I think this is highly dependent on what you have in your OpenHab. My instance running raspberry 3 never crashes. And I do have quite many things in my system.

1 Like

Is there a way to detect memory leaks of bindings? Or to log the memory usage of every binding?