Pine A64?

Hi David,
Are you sure that the pre-installed image can be accessed with HDMI? The official page clearly says “No HDMI” here. http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pine_A64_Software_Release#openHAB_Image_base_on_Ubuntu_Linux_Longsleep_20160415_image

Plus, I remember trying HDMI with my pre-installed openhab, but no go. So I made a backup of the image, installed Longsleep 20160415 and openhab manually, which seems to work.

But given that many in the pine64 forum complaining how they got the wrong image installed, I am wondering if some images work and some don’t, so perhaps you got lucky. :slight_smile:

Yes. I am sure. I did have to turn my TV on and off a couple times to get it to sync up. I also had to adjust the TV as it was cutting off the outer edges of the screen.

Even on the full ubuntu image you should see messages on the Console before the graphical interface starts. If you see that, you should be good with the Openhab image.

Ok, thanks. I am going to write the backup to the card and try again. Will report back in a few.

Well, I re-downloaded the openhab image from here: http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pine_A64_openHAB_Release
I used the 16GB image on my 16GB card.
I get this error: https://s31.postimg.org/4cv9xccgb/IMG_20160619_111942.jpg

Although the HDMI is working, there seems to be an error in loading the ubuntu+openhab image on pine for me.
Not sure if I could use 8gb build or any other build which worked for others.
Thanks.
PS: On the same SD card I can use other builds such as ubuntu, remixos and they all work fine. It’s just the openhab image posted on Pine64 wiki that gives this error. I don’t know what that error is… perhaps HDMI failing?

Just wait longer. Mine stops there too, but it will eventually continue. Was hoping to look at that today. I saw somewhere on the pine forum someone else was having the same issue on a different build

Looks like it is related to the DHCP timeout on the network. I am using the WiFi card which came with mine, but the wired interface is still configured. I disabled the network interface, and now it boots in less than a minute. I also ran the /home/openhab/update_kernel.sh script to ensure I had the latest updates.

to disable the network wt the eth0 interface to manu

openhab@openhab:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces.d/eth0
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

It worked, I waited longer and the login screen showed up.
Is the whole thing command line only or is there a way to get to the desktop screen? If not, then I think I will go back to my original install which had GUI.
Thanks for the help.

You could enable the desktop, and add any required packages and configuration. I don’t know the exact steps, but since you already have an image with the desktop enabled, it is likely faster to use that image.

Ok, I am just curious if the performance of the original image is better (which I think it is) compared to what I have installed manually. I will look up if it is easy to enable the desktop (my linux-ability is limited). Yes, it would be faster to use my build straightaway, but I rather experiment with speed/performance now than when everything is setup.
Thank you again for your help.

Received my Pine64 IoT. Z-wave card was missing.
I’m currently struggling with a few details to get things running.

• I need to run eibd. Since there is no precompiled package for the pine64, I need to build it.
    eibd requires pthsem . Building pthsem on the pine64 screws already with the ./configure command which complains about calls with missing parameters.

Anyone managed to build eibd and pthsem for the pine64 ?

Still fighting with Openhab 2 on pine64.
I tried a knx connection via a Siemens KNX gateway and I also tried the connection via an eibd running on a raspberry . Both work with Openhab 1.8.
The only non default parameter in knx.cfg is (Siemens gateway): ip=192.168.2.103 and ignorelocalevents=true
I get the following error:

java.io.IOException: Invalid argument
at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.send(Native Method)[:1.8.0_91]
at java.net.DatagramSocket.send(DatagramSocket.java:693)[:1.8.0_91]
at tuwien.auto.calimero.knxnetip.ClientConnection.connect(ClientConnection.java:143)[198:org.openhab.binding.knx:1.9.0.b3]
at tuwien.auto.calimero.knxnetip.KNXnetIPTunnel.(KNXnetIPTunnel.java:117)[198:org.openhab.binding.knx:1.9.0.b3]
at tuwien.auto.calimero.link.KNXNetworkLinkIP.(KNXNetworkLinkIP.java:180)[198:org.openhab.binding.knx:1.9.0.b3]
at org.openhab.binding.knx.internal.connection.KNXConnection.connectByIp(KNXConnection.java:285)[198:org.openhab.binding.knx:1.9.0.b3]
at org.openhab.binding.knx.internal.connection.KNXConnection.connect(KNXConnection.java:172)[198:org.openhab.binding.knx:1.9.0.b3]
at org.openhab.binding.knx.internal.connection.KNXConnection.updated(KNXConnection.java:438)[198:org.openhab.binding.knx:1.9.0.b3]
at org.apache.felix.cm.impl.helper.ManagedServiceTracker.updated(ManagedServiceTracker.java:189)[7:org.apache.felix.configadmin:1.8.8]
at org.apache.felix.cm.impl.helper.ManagedServiceTracker.updateService(ManagedServiceTracker.java:152)[7:org.apache.felix.configadmin:1.8.8]
at org.apache.felix.cm.impl.helper.ManagedServiceTracker.provideConfiguration(ManagedServiceTracker.java:85)[7:org.apache.felix.configadmin:1.8.8]
at org.apache.felix.cm.impl.ConfigurationManager$ManagedServiceUpdate.provide(ConfigurationManager.java:1444)[7:org.apache.felix.configadmin:1.8.8]
at org.apache.felix.cm.impl.ConfigurationManager$ManagedServiceUpdate.run(ConfigurationManager.java:1400)[7:org.apache.felix.configadmin:1.8.8]
at org.apache.felix.cm.impl.UpdateThread.run0(UpdateThread.java:143)[7:org.apache.felix.configadmin:1.8.8]
at org.apache.felix.cm.impl.UpdateThread.run(UpdateThread.java:110)[7:org.apache.felix.configadmin:1.8.8]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)[:1.8.0_91]

Can’t figure out why I get an “Invalid argument” error .

I answer my second question myself:
The error: "Error connecting to KNX bus: on connect to /192.168.2.103:3671: Invalid argument"
disappears when I set localIp=192.168.2.115 (IP of the pine64) WEIRD !!!
–>Works now : Established connection to KNX bus on 192.168.2.109:3671 in mode TUNNEL. !!!

remains to figure out how to build eibd + pthsem for the pine64

I hope you don’t expect help on this in this forum - there are hopefully better places around with experts for compiling eibd!

Pine64 is not that common for knx. Since the pine64 comes with openhab preinstalled, I thought this might be the right place. There is a pine64 wiki but the openhab section is empty. I need eibd since I just have a Siemens knx tunnel gateway that crashes when I connect with ETS while openhab is connected.
I really like openhab - you did a great job !

I also installed OH2 on a Pine64.
Looks like the performance is quite good. I did not use the OH image as I had challenges with booting from SSD.
So I installed it on the latest Ubuntu image and it works fine.

One thing I did not manage is to set it up to run as service. Any recommendations there?

What I did so far:
in Karaf i used
feature:install service-wrapper
wrapper:install -n openhab

It created these files
openhab-service
openhab-wrapper
openhab.service

and a link to /etc/init.d/openhab-service

however when I try to start the service it fails
/etc/init.d/openhab-service start
Starting karaf…
/opt/oh2/userdata/bin/openhab-wrapper: 1: /opt/oh2/userdata/bin/openhab-wrapper: Syntax error: “(” unexpected

Any suggestions how to fix this?

Right, but SBCs are. So you should be able to find help on how to build knxd for “some” ARM-based Linux system. I would assume that you can find some help at https://knx-user-forum.de/.

Another thing with the pine64 openhab installation:
When I display charts, openhab uses UTC/GMT time what is 2 hours earlier than the system time displayed with "date"
With openhab 1.x it was possible to change this in the startup script (-Duser.timezone=xxx).
What is the best way to get the correct time with charts on a pine64 that came with openhab2 preinstalled ?

I try to download the Pine64 image for 2 days now, but it is so slow that i never succeed. Can this image also be hosted on another server ?

I currently have the image on my personal GDrive as well. Have a try here.

1 Like

Thanks Kai,
After my post I kept trying and finaly succeeded after some hours downloading. Therefore I do not need your GDrive. I wrote the image to a microSDcard and openHAB booted without problems on the Pine. This is the easiest way to start with openHAB until now.