Planning 1.8.1 and 2.0 beta2 releases

I think it is time to think about releasing first patch releases for 1.x and 2.x.
The Classic UI in 1.8.0 is almost unusable for many users, so this is rather a critical bug. And looking at the issue tracker, so further critical things have been fixed (or only discovered?) as well.
In openHAB 2, the beta1 had problems with most 1.x add-ons, most of these problems have been fixed meanwhile, so that I think the beta1 should be replaces, so that no new users starts with that anymore.

My suggestion would be to aim for next Monday, Feb 1. @teichsta is that ok for you and could you please actively guide the necessary activities for 1.8.1?

@maintainer: Please help us on getting issues fixed on time. Most important for openHAB 2 are actually the fixes of the 1.x add-ons, many probably showing this sort of problem, which can be easily fixed by a small PR. It would be great if you could help fixing these!

Best regards,
Kai

Even if there were important improvments in 15 days (thanks for that) since the last openHAB 2 beta 1 release, it still remains in the recent openHAB 2 snapshots some annoying bugs for the user. I am thinking about the item value not displayed in UI due to the format string for example. And we know that certain bindings are still not working at all (weather, MiOS action, …) even if packaged in openHAB2.

If you want to release a new version very soon, I would suggest to tag it alpha 3 rather than beta 1 (or beta 2).
Or give you a little more time for fixing major bugs and testing really openHAB 2.

I spent myself a lot of time to test openHAB 2 since the release of the beta 1 and I am ok to spend time again to test bug fixes and few things I have not yet fully tested (rules, SSL access, few bindings, …).

I can even take time to fix one binding I am knowing very well, but currently I am not able to compile the sources due to maven errors (maven build stops with errors at KNX binding). So that is difficult to help immediately. I have first to understand why it does not work in my dev environment (Windows 7, Java JDK 1.8, …) and I have no idea.

yes, will follow-up on this tomorrow evening.

@Lolodomo I appreciate your efforts on testing and it helped a lot to get many bugs fixed already. My plan is to replace the 2.0beta1 and 1.8.0 versions as the “publicly shown” versions asap by something that works better and there won’t be any big annoucement for that (rather a silent release). beta2 does not mean that all known problems have to be solved there - it is simply one step forward.

yes, Monday Feb 1. would fit into my schedule. I am currently browsing all closed PRs if there is any of them which should also be cherry-picked into 1.8. @maintainer could you please can “your merged” PRs with the 1.8 relevance in mind?

Thanks, Thomas E.-E.

Please also check for all newly created issues whether there needs something to be fixed urgently - it seems to me as if there are quite some critical things that need to be looked at.

I just did a test of the 1.9 addons and MANY of them are still lacking the correct add/remove methods for the components. I simply installed a few through the Paper UI and checked the log:

22:30:09.907 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.astro           ] - [org.openhab.binding.astro(181)] bind method [addBindingProvider] not found; Component will fail
22:30:09.908 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.astro           ] - [org.openhab.binding.astro(181)] bind method [addBindingProvider] not found
22:30:09.909 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.astro           ] - [org.openhab.binding.astro(181)] bind method [addBindingProvider] not found; Component will fail
22:30:09.917 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.astro           ] - [org.openhab.binding.astro(181)] unbind method [removeBindingProvider] not found; Component will fail
22:30:09.917 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.astro           ] - [org.openhab.binding.astro(181)] unbind method [removeBindingProvider] not found
22:30:09.918 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.astro           ] - [org.openhab.binding.astro(181)] bind method [addBindingProvider] not found
22:30:09.919 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.astro           ] - [org.openhab.binding.astro(181)] unbind method [removeBindingProvider] not found
22:30:09.921 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ExtensionEvent      ] - Extension 'binding-astro1' has been installed.
22:30:23.841 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.caldav-command  ] - [org.openhab.binding.caldav_command(186)] bind method [addBindingProvider] not found; Component will fail
22:30:23.850 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.caldav-command  ] - [org.openhab.binding.caldav_command(186)] bind method [addBindingProvider] not found
22:30:23.854 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.caldav-command  ] - [org.openhab.binding.caldav_command(186)] unbind method [removeBindingProvider] not found; Component will fail
22:30:23.854 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.caldav-command  ] - [org.openhab.binding.caldav_command(186)] unbind method [removeBindingProvider] not found
22:30:23.858 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.caldav-command  ] - [org.openhab.binding.caldav_command(186)] unbind method [unsetCalDavLoader] not found; Component will fail
22:30:23.859 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.caldav-command  ] - [org.openhab.binding.caldav_command(186)] unbind method [unsetCalDavLoader] not found
22:30:23.862 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.caldav-command  ] - [org.openhab.binding.caldav_command(186)] bind method [addBindingProvider] not found
22:30:23.865 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.caldav-command  ] - [org.openhab.binding.caldav_command(186)] unbind method [removeBindingProvider] not found
22:30:23.865 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.caldav-command  ] - [org.openhab.binding.caldav_command(186)] unbind method [unsetCalDavLoader] not found
22:30:23.874 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ExtensionEvent      ] - Extension 'binding-caldav-command' has been installed.
22:30:30.870 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.caldav-personal ] - [org.openhab.binding.caldav_personal(188)] bind method [addBindingProvider] not found; Component will fail
22:30:30.872 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.caldav-personal ] - [org.openhab.binding.caldav_personal(188)] bind method [addBindingProvider] not found
22:30:30.873 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.caldav-personal ] - [org.openhab.binding.caldav_personal(188)] unbind method [unsetCalDavLoader] not found; Component will fail
22:30:30.874 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.caldav-personal ] - [org.openhab.binding.caldav_personal(188)] unbind method [unsetCalDavLoader] not found
22:30:30.875 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.caldav-personal ] - [org.openhab.binding.caldav_personal(188)] unbind method [removeBindingProvider] not found; Component will fail
22:30:30.875 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.caldav-personal ] - [org.openhab.binding.caldav_personal(188)] unbind method [removeBindingProvider] not found
22:30:30.876 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.caldav-personal ] - [org.openhab.binding.caldav_personal(188)] bind method [addBindingProvider] not found
22:30:30.877 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.caldav-personal ] - [org.openhab.binding.caldav_personal(188)] unbind method [unsetCalDavLoader] not found
22:30:30.877 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.caldav-personal ] - [org.openhab.binding.caldav_personal(188)] unbind method [removeBindingProvider] not found
22:30:30.879 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ExtensionEvent      ] - Extension 'binding-caldav-personal' has been installed.
22:30:37.476 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.comfoair        ] - [org.openhab.binding.comfoair(191)] bind method [addBindingProvider] not found; Component will fail
22:30:37.477 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.comfoair        ] - [org.openhab.binding.comfoair(191)] bind method [addBindingProvider] not found

It is fairly easy to fix these (see this example). It would be wonderful if one of you (looking at @teichsta and the other @maintainer) could take care of such fixes in the 1.x codebase, I am simply too flooded with other issues right now…

I will take on a few tomorrow.

1 Like

I will fix the compatibility of Freebox 1.x binding with OH2 in the best case today.

Would it be possible to provide packaged in OH2 the 1.x and the 2.0 version of a binding ? That could be intetesting until the 2.0 version is bug free and at the same level of features as the 1.x version.

This is decided case by case - e.g. for the Astro binding, there is a Astro1 binding in the distro as well for this reason.
In general, I think this rather leads to confusion and efforts should rather be spent on the 2.0 version in case that there are bugs - this is what beta versions are good for.

Clearly I will have no time before the 1st of February to discover and understand mew 2.0 code/architecture and improove the 2.0 binding !
Applying a simple fix to the 1.x version is more doable for me considering the very short delay.
My request was for general users. In my case, of course I will be able to install manually the 1.x version.

Where are we with that (I just saw this)?

I will try to fix that by the evening (GMT).

As mentioned in another topic, I tested with success MQTT binding 1.9 in openHAB2.
Do you want a PR to include MQTT 1.9 in openHAB2 distro ?

Yes please!

@teichsta When do you plan to start with this? Looking at Issues · openhab/openhab1-addons · GitHub, nothing has happened so far and I doubt that things can be closed by tomorrow…?

Please add the enphaseenergy binding to this list with the exact same error.

and the IHC binding.
I think we do not really need a list, we just need someone to go through them all in the Paper UI, click on them and observe the log file…

PR opened here.
Test JAR here.

Please report back with your findings and thanks.