Please add support for RSYNC and cronjobs

Rsync. It is famous for its delta-transfer algorithm, which reduces the amount of data sent over the network by sending only the differences between the source files and the existing files in the destination. It seems like it can be set up with a cronjob, but I have no idea if it can be set up with the UI . If not, maybe a function for this should be made.
Its best that it uses SSH to connect.
Relevant how-tos and documentation:

Rsync with a stored password:

Rsync manual:

How can I understand this post?

What do you want to do? I don’t get your point…

If you looking for backup solution, I believe AMANDA will do the trick. All backup tools are based on rsync these days, Apple time machine, dropbox, ubuntu official backup tool etc.
They all more or less have copy on write, hardlink based versioning and rsync.

I have also seen private companies use git for configuration versioning and manage pushing UAT lab config to production, once testing is successful in UAT. openhabian itself uses some kind of versioning tool for /etc.
Git uses similar algorithms for delta calculations, thats why its so efficient.

I believe he wants to trigger cron/rsync jobs via openHAB. But that is just guessing. :question:

@Hveem what is your use case? You want a generic cron+rsync setup UI in openHAB? If yes, then I would suggest use any of existing backup tools, they happen to have their own command line, webui and/or X11 based UI. Or you could write a OH2 binding yourself, that way you can leverage OH UIs. But bear in mind, OH’s primary purpose is to integrate with home automation devices like z-wave, zigbee, Philips lights. System administration tasks should be carried out in their own popular ways. Using OH for those, would be an abuse. :slight_smile: Tomorrow, people will ask give me systemd configuration UI in OH. Can be done but it would be an abuse.

1 Like