Poll: Which OH1.x addons do you use?

But thats the choice you make as the constructor (developer).
I doubt you´ll do the same, if there was a need of the 5 rooms, and no pool, right?

I think you miss my point. I´m speaking of functions, not how something is developed.

Okay, my mistake then. I thought thats what you said.

Ofcouse, if the binding no longer function after a certain time of periode, I would care. But as I said, I believe most manually installed bindings are under “work in progress”, which means, it´s just a matter of time before they´re added to the system itself. Ofcouse if there is no more development going on for this binding, it will never reach to the system itself… But then, why care… No one can do anything about it, if no one continue the development.

Ofcouse… Like I said - People dont like changes, (or some people I might say).

It´s their freedom of choice. They´re probably not complaning either, (and if they do, they´re wrong, except if it´s due to missing functions. Then its a matter of needs).

Re-building (or re-implementing if you like) is a sort of developing. Specially if you´re re-implementing to a newer core/OS/stage/whatever because it´s required. Which is exacly what I meant is important, if the addons (binding) in questions is still beeing used.
And as I said, I believe this IS the purpose of the poll to tell which 1.0x bindings is still beeing used and therefore needs to be re-implemented/re-build/developed futher. But if you re-implement and remove functions of a 1.0x binding, because the polls shows its beeing used, it makes no sense to me. The the poll would have to focus on function level insted. (which functions in a 1.0x binding is beeing used). I guess this require a new and a pretty huge poll then.

From the functionallity aspects, the re-implemented binding has to support the the needed and used functions. Otherweise there is no reason for re-implementing it to a newer core/system, except for new users, who may not need the old and missing functionality.
Those who use the “old” binding because they need it functionallity, they will not upgrade the core.
Those who needs the re-implemented binding due to upgrading the core, but need the “old” functionality, would be facing a dilemma. They simply cant use the binding. They will be forced to use the old core system insted. Or go without their needs.

So where does it leave the binding. Or even worse, where does it leave the core system and the users?

Lets try another example, a more “inside” one.
If Pauli stops development of the IHC binding, and re-implementing is required to be used in openhab 3 (and future version), it will put me into a huge dilemma, cause I need the IHC binding, (and I will probably hunt him down for the rest of his life :smiley: ).
I got two options. Either hope someone else continues from Pauli work or someone making a new binding (with the same functions ofcouse). Otherweise I´ll be left behind with openhab2, which means I can not support openhab3 and any future versions. Maybe I´ll even have to abandon openhab because of this.

There is a rather specific reason why backward compatibilty is important. You can start all over from scratch leaving out functionality. But you´ll have to face the fact, that it may result in users leaving or not following the development of the core system, if they are in a need of the functionality. A user not following development means a loss for the core system itself, in my opinion. Many windows 7 users havn´t upgraded to windows 10, because the applications they use and need, havn´t been updated to work in Windows 10. This is a loss for Microsoft/Windows 10, and noone else, in my opinion.

I dont think I can explain this any better.

Yes, if we sat down with a full list of requirements from the original development and engineered a solution that implemented all such functions on the new development, they would be compatible. We do not have such a list, and therefore there are no guarantees that the same features will be available in the new development - that’s the point.

I don’t disagree that backward compatibility is important, but it requires considerable work to engineer the requirements as mentioned above. This is a community project - there are no such requirements. Different people add features, so unfortunately there is just no guarantee.

Clearly you do not wish to try and understand this so I give up.

2 Likes

But as I said, I believe most manually installed bindings are under “work in progress”, which means, it´s just a matter of time before they´re added to the system itself.

This is incorrect. The very binding you sited actually is part of the OH distro. But whether it is a work in progress or just started yesterday, if it’s a 1.x version binding it will not work when the compatibility layer goes away.

Kim_Andersen:

I got two options. Either hope someone else continues from Pauli work or someone making a new binding (with the same functions ofcouse). Otherweise I´ll be left behind with openhab2, which means I can not support openhab3 and any future versions. Maybe I´ll even have to abandon openhab because of this.

All of this is correct. And it changes nothing. When writing a 2.x binding, it will be different. Some things will not be possible in a 2.x binding. Somethings will not make sense in a 2.x binding. Some things will be forgotten to be implemented in the 2.x binding (hopefully an issue would be filed). Some developers will have a different idea about how the new 2.x binding should work.

The developers will do the best they can with the time that they have. And if some needed or important feature gets left out, file and issue ! And there will be some things that the new binding may simply not be able to do. In which case you have to decide to adopt and adapt or stay put on the version of OH you have.

I don’t care how important backwards compatibility is. I don’t care how much you think it is vital. The developers are the ones calling the shots. They make the best decisions with the knowledge and time they have. It’s not perfect. But if Microsoft can’t be perfect with their 130,000 employees, what hope does any project have of achieving perfect backward compatibility?

Thats not fair Chris… I did try to understand. But you totally seem to misread my point.

Ofcouse.
And my point, which I have tried to explain:
If the result of the development doesnt provide what I need, I will not be using it.

Just to be clear.
I´m not asking for guarantees… I´m stating the consequences of missing/lack of functionality.
I´m not asking or demanding you to do anything.
It´s just a simple fact - I dont use anything which doesnt provide what I need.

I dont disagree.
Read my previous post to Chris. In short, that explains my point of view.

No, that’s just how you would like it to be. Always easily postulated when you’re not reponsible for implementing it. (EDIT: messed up this post, it`s meant to be a response to Kim).
But it’s not the question who “needs” or rather wants it. There’s many use cases, and in each of them a tradeoff must be made: what’s the effort of lifting the binding into the 2.X era? who can do it and who is willing to? how many users would we lose by abandoning that binding ? what alternatives exist inside OH ?

The point about using an 1.X binding is that that’s developer never created a 2.X version. Because it is a lot of work and even more so if you want to replicate features 1:1 as 2.X has a different architecture.
Maybe he lost interest in this, maybe he’s just lazy, or dead.
This is no company selling its product which comes with guaranteed functionality and thus the responsibility to provide backward compatibility. Companies also have the ability to assign resources (skilled, well paid developers) and still, even in the commercial space there’s enough examples where that is not done because it is not worth doing so or should not be done because technology moved on and sticking to old stuff creates more problems than it solves.
Customers need to move, too, even more so in OH which cannot pay, assign and steer or even control developers.

To throw in another aspect to the melting pot, we could think of a user-level solution to the problem:
You can federate new (3.X in terms of this discussion) and old (2.X) openHAB instances.
User would need to attach all devices to no longer be compatible with/served in 3.X to the 2.X instance. Inter-instance communication would be done via OH message bus. Just like you can do today with 2.X vs. 1.X. Maybe we can help with making that the default setup in openHABian (just an idea, not an offer yet ;-)).

2 Likes

This topic went missing for a few days, but hopefully it is back now!

@mstormi as part of the happiness factor to many users I think this is an excellent suggestion.

The reason why I chose OpenHab were the AddOns for ComfoAir and Ecotouch, which I didn’t find elsewhere. Unfortunately, they don’t seem to be too common. The functionality is completely sufficient and it would be a pity if they would not work in OH3 anymore.

I didn’t see OwnTracks/mqttitude on the list. That’s one I like.

It’s not needed. It’s superseded by gpstracker

That’s very cool! Unfortunately for me, it doesn’t provide a tie in to an owntracks MQTT broker which is how the OH1 version works.

It doesn’t need to. Run owntracks in HTTP mode.

We have other things tied into the broker like OT-recorder, ACLs setup, etc. Switching over to the other system would break all of that.

I just use the MQTT binding with owntracks. IIRC, the mqttitude binding was just a MQTT client with owntracks related Channels.

2 Likes

Great point. I think the only thing that would be hard for me to recreate would be that it uses a GPS location and radius to figure out if one is home. I could easily switch to use events instead.

Regardless, I’ll figure something out when the time comes. I feel better :wink:
Thanks for your guidance guys!

1 Like

Both methods were in mqttitude and still are supported in gpstracker.

1 Like

Here are the results! In the last column, I did my best to look through recent activity, but I may have missed some. The hue, harmonyhub, samsungtv, xbmc, bluetooth, and squeezebox all have 2.x versions, but for some reason have not been moved to legacy. org.openhab.io.transport.mqtt is an oddball, since it shows up in both legacy and non-legacy feature.xmls, so was included in the poll. You’ll also notice some addons that were in the poll had been migrated to 2.x and recently were moved to legacy.

If you are using one of the addons that is not marked as in the distribution, please open an issue in openhab1-addons and then if you are able to, follow these instructions so that it gets included.

Addon name Number of users from poll Included in distribution? Already migrated to 2.x? Migration WIP?
org.openhab.action.mail legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.action.mqtt legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.action.pushbullet legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.action.satel legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.astro legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.dmx legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.dmx.ola legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.dsmr legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.enocean legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.exec legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.homematic legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.ihc legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.irtrans legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.knx legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.milight legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.modbus legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.mqtt legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.mqttitude legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.nest legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.netatmo legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.networkhealth legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.nibeheatpump legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.onewire legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.onkyo legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.plugwise legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.powermax legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.rwesmarthome legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.satel legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.systeminfo legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.tellstick legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.urtsi legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.zwave legacy Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.io.transport.mqtt legacy (46) Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.snmp legacy (21) Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.denon legacy (9) Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.km200 legacy (2) Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.neohub legacy (0) Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.expire 95 Yes
org.openhab.binding.http 95 Yes Yes
org.openhab.binding.fritzboxtr064 52 Yes
org.openhab.action.telegram 47 Yes Yes
org.openhab.binding.wol 42 Yes
org.openhab.action.astro 34
org.openhab.binding.caldav-personal 32 Yes
org.openhab.binding.weather 31 Yes
org.openhab.action.pushover 30 Yes
org.openhab.binding.plex 27 Yes
org.openhab.binding.networkupstools 26 Yes
org.openhab.binding.tcp 25 Yes
org.openhab.binding.serial 24 Yes
org.openhab.io.caldav 24 Yes
org.openhab.binding.caldav-command 23 Yes
org.openhab.binding.fritzbox 18 Yes
org.openhab.binding.gpio 18 Yes Yes
org.openhab.binding.hue 17 Yes N/A
org.openhab.action.harmonyhub 15
org.openhab.binding.harmonyhub 14 Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.insteonplm 13 Yes
org.openhab.binding.samsungtv 13 Yes N/A
org.openhab.io.gcal 12 Yes
org.openhab.binding.ntp 12
org.openhab.binding.xbmc 11 Yes Yes N/A
org.openhab.io.harmonyhub 11
org.openhab.action.xbmc 10 Yes
org.openhab.io.gpio 10 Yes
org.openhab.binding.comfoair 9 Yes
org.openhab.binding.ecobee 9 Yes
org.openhab.binding.nikobus 9 Yes Yes
org.openhab.binding.velux 9 Yes
org.openhab.action.weather 9
org.openhab.action.ecobee 8 Yes
org.openhab.binding.panasonictv 8 Yes
org.openhab.binding.squeezebox 8 Yes N/A
org.openhab.action.squeezebox 8
org.openhab.io.squeezeserver 8
org.openhab.action.mios 7 Yes
org.openhab.binding.lgtv 7 Yes
org.openhab.binding.mios 7 Yes
org.openhab.binding.myq 7 Yes
org.openhab.binding.sonos 7
org.openhab.binding.epsonprojector 5 Yes
org.openhab.binding.openenergymonitor 5 Yes
org.openhab.binding.bluetooth 5 Yes N/A
org.openhab.binding.asterisk 5
org.openhab.binding.opensprinkler 5
org.openhab.binding.yamahareceiver 5
org.openhab.action.pebble 4 Yes
org.openhab.binding.garadget 4 Yes
org.openhab.binding.maxcul 4 Yes
org.openhab.binding.tinkerforge 4 Yes
org.openhab.action.dscalarm 4
org.openhab.action.homematic 4
org.openhab.binding.rfxcom 4
org.openhab.binding.wemo 4
org.openhab.action.xmpp 3 Yes
org.openhab.binding.alarmdecoder 3 Yes
org.openhab.binding.anel 3 Yes
org.openhab.binding.owserver 3 Yes
org.openhab.binding.dscalarm 3
org.openhab.binding.enigma2 3
org.openhab.binding.isy 3
org.openhab.binding.mailcontrol 3
org.openhab.binding.withings 3
org.openhab.action.prowl 2 Yes
org.openhab.action.twitter 2 Yes
org.openhab.binding.ecotouch 2 Yes
org.openhab.binding.energenie 2 Yes
org.openhab.binding.enphaseenergy 2 Yes
org.openhab.binding.fs20 2 Yes
org.openhab.binding.jointspace 2 Yes
org.openhab.binding.pilight 2 Yes
org.openhab.io.multimedia.tts.googletts 2
org.openhab.action.openwebif 2
org.openhab.binding.fht 2
org.openhab.binding.frontiersiliconradio 2
org.openhab.binding.maxcube 2
org.openhab.binding.mpd 2
org.openhab.binding.omnilink 2
org.openhab.binding.pioneeravr 2
org.openhab.binding.pulseaudio 2
org.openhab.io.multimedia.tts.marytts 2
org.openhab.action.pushsafer 1 Yes
org.openhab.binding.cardio2e 1 Yes
org.openhab.binding.ebus 1 Yes
org.openhab.binding.fatekplc 1 Yes
org.openhab.binding.horizon 1 Yes
org.openhab.binding.iec6205621meter 1 Yes
org.openhab.binding.intertechno 1 Yes
org.openhab.binding.ipx800 1 Yes
org.openhab.binding.lcn 1 Yes
org.openhab.binding.mochadx10 1 Yes
org.openhab.binding.mystromecopower 1 Yes
org.openhab.binding.novelanheatpump 1 Yes
org.openhab.binding.souliss 1 Yes
org.openhab.binding.swegonventilation 1 Yes
org.openhab.io.transport.cul 1 Yes
org.openhab.action.tinkerforge 1
org.openhab.binding.benqprojector 1
org.openhab.binding.cups 1
org.openhab.binding.daikin 1
org.openhab.binding.ddwrt 1
org.openhab.binding.dmx.artnet 1
org.openhab.binding.fritzaha 1
org.openhab.binding.insteonhub 1
org.openhab.binding.lightwaverf 1
org.openhab.binding.openpaths 1
org.openhab.binding.plclogo 1
org.openhab.binding.smarthomatic 1
org.openhab.binding.tacmi 1
org.openhab.binding.tivo 1
org.openhab.binding.vdr 1
org.openhab.io.multimedia.tts.freetts 1
org.openhab.io.transport.xpl 1
org.openhab.binding.bticino 0 Yes
org.openhab.binding.ekey 0 Yes
org.openhab.binding.freeswitch 0 Yes
org.openhab.binding.gc100ir 0 Yes
org.openhab.binding.heatmiser 0 Yes
org.openhab.binding.koubachi 0 Yes
org.openhab.binding.piface 0 Yes
org.openhab.binding.samsungac 0 Yes
org.openhab.binding.sapp 0 Yes
org.openhab.binding.sonance 0 Yes
org.openhab.binding.ucprelayboard 0 Yes
org.openhab.binding.upb 0 Yes
org.openhab.action.ciscospark 0
org.openhab.action.xpl 0
org.openhab.binding.akm868 0
org.openhab.binding.autelis 0
org.openhab.binding.configadmin 0
org.openhab.binding.davis 0
org.openhab.binding.digitalstrom 0
org.openhab.binding.diyonxbee 0
org.openhab.binding.dmx.lib485 0
org.openhab.binding.ehealth 0
org.openhab.binding.em 0
org.openhab.binding.freebox 0
org.openhab.binding.hdanywhere 0
org.openhab.binding.hms 0
org.openhab.binding.k8055 0
org.openhab.binding.mcp23017 0
org.openhab.binding.mcp3424 0
org.openhab.binding.oceanic 0
org.openhab.binding.octoller 0
org.openhab.binding.panstamp 0
org.openhab.binding.plcbus 0
org.openhab.binding.powerdoglocalapi 0
org.openhab.binding.primare 0
org.openhab.binding.rme 0
org.openhab.binding.rpircswitch 0
org.openhab.binding.s300th 0
org.openhab.binding.sagercaster 0
org.openhab.binding.sallegra 0
org.openhab.binding.stiebelheatpump 0
org.openhab.binding.wago 0
org.openhab.binding.wr3223 0
org.openhab.binding.xpl 0
org.openhab.binding.zibase 0
org.openhab.io.multimedia.tts.macintalk 0
org.openhab.io.multimedia.tts.speechdispatcher 0
2 Likes

How are you collecting work in progress for 1.x bindings that have a 2.x underway?
For example, there is a 2.x version of the omnilink plugin that is in the eclipse marketplace.