Possible New Firmware version for Kwikset Z-Wave Lock - Needs Update

I’m have same / simular issue. I have a Kwiqset SmartCode 916 Touchscreen Electronic Deadbolt
that isn’t recognized by the openHAB Z-Wave binding. The Kwiqset 914 is in the database, which my lock is functionally identical to.
(https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-list/devicesummary/992) (The difference is touchscreen vrs dedicated buttons)

My lock (from HABmin):
Manufacturer 0090 Black & Decker
Type / ID 0642
Firmware Version 4.10

This lock is the whole reason i got into ZWave, and thus OpenHAB. Eventually i want to do actions based on which code opened that lock. I am able to set the codes, so it’s clearly communicating. But thats all i am able to do. I don’t understand why i can do that and am so limited on other fronts, but that is not important to me now.

Is there a way for me manually to configure the Thing / Item / Channels, or is waiting for the database update the only way to go.

I just started 2 weeks ago and have a few other ZWave devices and rules working :smiley:

I am in the steep part of the learning curve and I am not sure how to update to lastest snapshot.
Is that openhabian-config --> Apply Improvements --> Packages ?

thank you :smiley: -P

Please can you provide the type/id of the device so we an take a look at this compared to the ones in the database. Alternatively, if you’re unsure, please provide the XML file that OH has generated for the device.

this lock (with it’s type/id) is referenced in the text part of the database for the 914.
The configuration Parameter 35 is used as read-only to report the Unique ID of the lock type.
Released Board ID Unique ID
910 Z-wave (Legacy, FW 3.4) 0x00 0x00
912 Z-wave (Legacy, FW 3.2) 0x00 0x00
910 Z-wave 0x02 0x36
912 Z-wave 0x03 0x36
914 Z-wave 0x04 0x36
916 Z-wave 0x06 0x42

The type/id you list is not valid for the manufacturer information - it should be two numbers (type, and id). We need to know the manufacturer data - not the information related to a parameter as this is non standard and can’t be used for device identification.

As requested, can you provide the xml file as this should contain the data.

Took me a while to find. Pasted it into message, but it got messed up. Find it on my public website http://paulrother.com/network_e59e55c4__node_6.xml Thank you.

Thanks.

Does this firmware do anything new/different than the version that is already in the database? I don’t care so much if this is a different physical version (eg is a deadlock versus some other lock type) so long as the commands and features at ZWave level are the same?

If they are, we can simply add the new IDs - otherwise we’ll need to create a new entry.

Same internal firmware, 914 has hard buttons. 916 has a touch screen. 914 is better as it’s faster to enter entry code, but 916 will do better outside.

Done.

1 Like

thanks, i’ve been working at this with no results. I have not given up! First I updated to latest snapshot, openHAB 2.5.0 Build #1577. No change. Deleted the lock, added it back in, again no change, but my user codes are gone. Maybe database changes didn’t make it into snapshot. System was unreliable, which might be to all the stuff i’ve tried (learning) over the last few weeks. So started from scratch, and updated to snapshot 1577 first thing. Did a restore on my configuration, and it’s the same. (Which is a testimony to the backup/restore.) Next step will be starting over again, with fresh install, and most recent snapshot, and just installing the lock. I will need to reset the lock, and rediscovering it again, which is an ordeal since the lock is a minute walk away. If that fails, will let you know.

The database is updated in the snapshot once or twice a week - not every day. I did the export this morning and it will be updated tonight.

Chris, Yes, working on build #1580. Thank you. Exploring possibilities now.

Hello Paul were you able to get your lock to work? I am having a similar issue with the Kiwikset smartcode 912 lever lock. I can securely add my lock to Openhab but get the same unknown device in my things list.

I searched the zwave database and I see the lock registered. I am new to Openhab so not sure what to do next. I rebuilt Openhab from scratch, install and removed the devices from the zwave controller and excluded the lock but I keep getting the same error.

You need to upgrade to the latest 2.5 zwave snapshot binding.
Be aware that the latest binding may only work with newer snapshot cores.

I am still new to OpenHab, so sorry if this is a dumb question or it is resurrecting a dead subject.

I have 3 of these same door locks, and am getting what seem to be the same issues. From what I am reading in the above comment, does this mean that the I can never get my doorlocks to work with OpenHab? Im just kinda out of luck?
Seems a shame, especially as I gather that they used to work with an older binding, but dont any more( again, am I reading that correctly?)

Is there any way for them to link into amother controller, and have that controller take orders from OpenHab? Id just really hate to not be able to make use of all of these doorlocks, or to have to go to an entirely different system like smart things.

Appreciate any inside or advice, and apologize in advance if Im asking a dumb question here.

cheers

Where did you read that?
Of course you can use your door lock with openHAB and the zwave binding.

Which binding version are you using? If it is an unknown device, you need to upgrade to a newer version of your zwave binding. If you are using a version before 2.4 stable, you also need to upgrade because older versions of the zwave binding don’t support secure inclusion at all.

Please provide more details of your issue.

I read:
“That’s the problem then - it’s too old to be compatible with the latest binding.”
as meaning that the hardware (door lock) is too old to work with the latest bindings. As in, it may have worked with older ones, but moving forward, newer bindings wont support it.

I have downloaded and installed all 3 versions (for windows if that matters) the stable 2.4, Milestone 2.5.0M1 and the Snapshot 2.5.0- SNAPSHOT. I seem to get the same result regardless of what install I use.
(sorry I didnt include this info in first post, I knew better than that)
I have the lock feet away from the zwave controller, and have tried to learn it in, removed it (with the remove item feature), and tried again, just in case it had issues when first enrolled, if that halps.

Is there some other way to update just the bindings? or some other way I should be learning them in thats not with PaperUI. Im using a Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 (what I read as most recommended for OpenHab)

No - I believe that the quote you reference means that the openHAB core is too old and is not compatible with the latest ZWave binding. If you are running an old core, and the binding has added new features that rely on a newer core, then the binding wont work.

The lock should work (I think with the latest binding).

I may have missed it, but what is the result that you are getting? You don’t seem to explain the problem?

Ah, OK, good to know about the core.

I am having the same issues as the OP. Kwikset SmartCode 910 doorlock. Learns in as unknown device.
Properties:
"

zwave_beaming true
zwave_class_basic BASIC_TYPE_ROUTING_SLAVE
zwave_class_generic GENERIC_TYPE_ENTRY_CONTROL
zwave_class_specific SPECIFIC_TYPE_SECURE_KEYPAD_DOOR_LOCK
zwave_deviceid 568
zwave_devicetype 3
zwave_frequent true
zwave_lastheal 2019-06-11T06:06:50Z
zwave_listening false
zwave_manufacturer 144
zwave_neighbours 3,6,7
zwave_nodeid 2
zwave_plus_devicetype NODE_TYPE_ZWAVEPLUS_NODE
zwave_plus_roletype ROLE_TYPE_SLAVE_SLEEPING_LISTENING
zwave_routing true
zwave_secure true
zwave_version 4.10

"
Funny part to me is, it knows a lot about it. It knows it is a door lock that can have several door codes. I am able to change the codes, and it reflects and updates the doorlock correctly, but it still only learns in as “Z-Wave Node ###” Like, I said, I have several of these, and they all act the same.

The device with these IDs is in the database, and if it is discovered as a door lock I’m not sure why it shows as an unknown device. Please can you provide a screenshot?

You will have to use the latest snapshot though as I don’t think M1 will contain this device.

Im sorry I have not posted back. Been really busy, new job, and new (first) baby. Simply have not have the time to post, but I have not forgotten! Appreciate all the help btw!

Im my limited time to poke at this issue. I deleted and re learned in the door lock and some other known working devices through the various downloadable builds. Using the Snapshot build, out of no where, and for reasons unknown. One of my locks seemed to learn in correctly (with the correct name that is
"

Z-Wave Node 009: Kwikset SmartCode 910 Touchpad Electronic Deadbolt with Z-Wave

Kwikset SmartCode 910 Touchpad Electronic Deadbolt with Z-Wave

Touchpad Electronic Deadbolt with Z-Wave

Overview

Kwikset®, the leader in residential security, introduces the SmartCode™ 910 Touchpad Electronic Deadbolt with Z-Wave.

• Backlit keypad with One touch locking
  • 30 user codes
  • BHMA grade 2 certified
  • Full 128-bit encryption security
  • Drill and pick resistant backup keyway
  • SmartKey: Re-key the lock in seconds

Inclusion Information

• Initiate the process to add the lock to your system at your smart home controller.
  • When prompted by your smart home system to add the lock, press button “A” on the lock interior one time. The red LED will illuminate when the lock enters Add Mode.
  • Please allow time for the controller to add the lock to your system.

Exclusion Information

• Follow your smart home system’s instructions to remove the lock from the network.
  • When prompted by the system, press button A” on the lock interior once.
  • The red LED will illuminate when the lock enters Remove mode.

Wakeup Information

Even though the lock is sleeping, all buttons are active and can be used to initiate any lock activity.

For the RF side, it will wake up every 1 second to check if there are any requests from your smart home controller
"

No idea what was different. Stranger still, is that I still can not get the other locks (same exact units) to learn in this way, they are still putting up the same error listed before.

Will hopefully have some time on sunday (first fathersday!) to poke at it some more.

cheers!