Possible small error in documentation for updating openHAB on Windows

Hi all,
don’t know where to comment on a small documentation issue that I stumbled upon, I hope this is the fairly correct place to do it.

When updating openHAB (in my case from 2.1 to 2.3) there are instructions on how to do it:

Under “Updating the openHAB Runtime” there are a number of files that should be deleted before updating, This because the new version of the files needs to be used and when copying files you are NOT supposed to overwrite any files (according to the documentation). But there is one file missing that also should be deleted = updated, at least that is how I solved my problem with no logs after the update (I replaced it with the new one):

userdata\etc\org.ops4j.pax.logging.cfg

Since it is important that this file is updated I guess it would be a good idea to have that file also in the list of files to be deleted = files that will be updated (since you are not supposed to overwrite when updating).

Please correct me if I am wrong, just thought this would be a good idea to add since it took me some time to find out what was going on with my non existing logs after the update.

One of the posts I read to find this out was this one:

but since it still is “wrong” in the documentation I thought I would make sense to write a small post of this.

@Samir.E

You can edit the docs yourself by following this link: https://github.com/openhab/openhab-docs/edit/master/installation/windows.md

The link is located at the bottom of the page in the docs

There are two other chances to catch those important updates:

1. Watch the update script for Linux distros:
[[MSG]]

[2.2.0]

NOTE;Logging configuration has changed. 'org.ops4j.pax.logging.cfg' has been backed up and restored to defaults!
  1. Subscribing to the Announcement section:

The links refer to
Release openHAB 2.2.0 · openhab/openhab-distro · GitHub and from there the breaking changes:

The logging framework has been upgraded to log4j2, which results in a different format of the logger configuration. So in case you have done changes to the org.ops4j.pax.logging.cfg file, please re-apply those to the new version in the log4j2 format. For an example configuration, see [this community post](https://community.openhab.org/t/log4j2-sample-config/33284).