Preview and Beta: Amazon Echo Control

This could be a great way around the nest api disapearing soon.
If the echo control binding could be made to retrieve the states of the nest thermostat smart home devices and set the target temperatures, the echos could act as a sort of a “bridge”

If the next version of the binding add the thermostatController, I’ll be happy to experiment with that and create a tutorial for the soon mandatory migration.

1 Like

Hi,
I expect your device will also support Alexa.TemperatureSensor Interface 3 | Alexa Skills Kit. So maybe you can test this function already and give feedback here.
Best,
Michael

This is awesome! No more routines! It may also help eventually reduce the number of bindings used for predominantly voice first commands

I also have an alexa only controllable air conditioner via the Polyaire skill which is classed as a thermostat if you need another tester

Hi Andrew,

I think it would be helpful to have another tester. Just download the beta version of the binding and take a look at openhab. Maybe your air conditioner can be used with openhab. Don’t forget to activate the device search in your account thing.

Good luck!

Nice but this is going to confuse Noobies even more :rofl:

I myself still get mixed up between the skill and the control binding and have to think hard when I come back to it after a long break :grin:

I also have another binding, Openwebnet, for my devices and add Alexa metadata labels for items to be used via the Alexa skill.

Maybe a small schematic shown at the the top of both threads would help. It could show how all these things are/could be linked up in openhab with direction arrows to indicate the communication flow.

I found a schematic for the Alexa skill but not one for Echo control.

So, something like that but with the Alexa Skill, Echo Control and a Device binding all in the same diagram.

I hope you are correct.

I am currently using some routines and virtual switches to get Alexa to operate some blinds via another Openhab binding that connects to my devices… BTicino/Openwebnet BUS system.

Hey @michi @Lukask ive installed it and it has worked as advertised - my problem (not yours) is I have many cross over skills that I have also solutions for in Openhab (eg LIFX) and have an overwhelming number of devices discovered.
I went straight to my air conditioner - it has detected two channels - powerstate and temperature - temperature is the current temp of the thermostat. When I turn on the A/C the alexa interface changes to then show a temperature setpoint - unfortunately this isnt available as a channel but its a great start even this has removed proxy items and two routines and two rules to turn the AC on and off

I made a draft, its not pretty, probably wrong. I am still thinking about it :woozy_face:

It illustrates the new and old path options to get a command to a device and the Proxy item work around in case of compatibility issues.

edit …deleted draft graphic to avoid causing confusion. I will post Michi’s approved graphic if he approves :slight_smile:

Nice drawing, but I think it is not yet correct:

This is the information flow:

amazonechocontrol

With the amazonechocontrol binding can each device which have a Alexa-SmartHome-Skill controlled from OpenHAB. Also the echo device itself can be controlled from OpenHAB, like starting music or let the echo device speak.

Openhab Switch Device On → amazonechocontrolbinding → Amazon Cloud → Alexa-SmartHome-Skill-Cloud (e.g. Samsung) → Samsung TV

OpenHAB Alexa Skill

With the OpenHAB Alexa Skill can you control all devices connected to OpenHAB with your voice through the echo device.

Spoken Text → OpenHAB Alexa Smarthome Skill → OpenHAB Cloud → OpenHAB Cloud Connector → Switch Item → Device Binding (KNX, Z-Wave) → Light

Better?

edit …deleted draft graphic to avoid causing confusion. I will post Michi’s approved graphic if he approves :slight_smile:

This is awesome! Thanks for putting this together. I’ve been looking forward to trying the echo guard functionality connected to OH and so far it seems to be working brilliantly.

Just a small thing. Is there a typo in the *.things examples? I get syntax errors when include

[discoverSmartHome=2 pollingIntervalSmartHome=20]

Configuration model 'amazonechocontrol.things' has errors, therefore ignoring it: [1,94]: missing ']' at 'pollingIntervalSmartHome'

Works fine if I just include one parameter.

Nice, but sorry, for me, this picture makes it not more easier to understand.
The reason is, the binding and the skill a completely independent, so each of the can be used without the other one. So, please make the arrows for the flow for the skill and the arrows for the binding in two different colors.
And maybe only in one direction for the command flow (And maybe a second picture for the Status query).
Sorry, for my comments, but I do not want the users become more confused as they are already.

Yes, maybe it should be:
[discoverSmartHome=2, pollingIntervalSmartHome=20]
But not yet tested.

OK Michi No problem. Its a good learning exercise for me too. Lets get this right. I will PM you with the update to avoid filling the thread with incorrect information. If you like I can send the PowerPoint file and you can modify it as you like… if you see a use for it.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I took a look into my config files and @michi is right. It seems there’s missing a comma. Just add the comma to your config file and the binding should start it’s work. Have fun! :slight_smile:

Michi gave it the thumbs up. so, here it is. Hope its useful…

3 Likes

Hi Mark,

I’m going to write an article on my blog about the amazon echo control binding. I would like to integrate your overview for every visitor. Is it okay for you to share this image on my blog?

Sure, I drew it partly for me but mainly for newcomers… :+1:

If you need any changes/ improvements just let me know.

Whats the blog about? Can I see ?.. I found it :slight_smile: Hobbyblogger right in German? I can read a bit of German.

1 Like

Hello all

@michi and I thought about improvements for handling light groups.
Now we’re going to give you the chance to tell us your opinion. We want you to vote for an option we will use for the development.

The question is: What should we do with light groups where bulbs got a different brightness.

I created a voting for you where you will be able to share your opinion. Please take 2 minutes to visit the website and vote for a possible answer.

Thank you!