Preview and Beta: Amazon Echo Control

Thank you Michael, I have updated as you have indicated and I can now see and control my tradfri lights and plugs devices without the Ikea Gateway

I have however noticed three small issues:

• When I have set the pulling time to 10 sec for the Alexa connected devices I have got the following error message but the pulling time has correctly been updated:

14:37:12.797 [ERROR] [ntrol.internal.handler.AccountHandler] - check login fails with unexpected error {}
      java.lang.NullPointerException: null
              at java.net.URLEncoder.encode(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
              at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.Connection.exchangeToken(Connection.java:768) ~[?:?]
              at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.Connection.checkRenewSession(Connection.java:820) ~[?:?]
              at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.Connection.tryRestoreSessionData(Connection.java:414) ~[?:?]
              at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.Connection.tryRestoreLogin(Connection.java:335) ~[?:?]
              at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.handler.AccountHandler.checkLogin(AccountHandler.java:386) ~[?:?]
              at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source) [?:?]
              at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(Unknown Source) [?:?]
              at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(Unknown Source) [?:?]
              at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknown Source) [?:?]
              at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source) [?:?]
              at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) [?:?]
              at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) [?:?]

• I have noticed that when I reopen the Control screen on PaperUI the device state is not updated

• I have also noticed that following a PaperUI action the log is going through some unexpected states but eventually gets the correct state. For example when I set a light to ON on PaperUI I have the following log states:

15:07:09.585 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ItemCommandEvent     ] - Item 'amazonechocontrol_smartHomeDeviceGroup_e5e78250_amzn1_HomeAutomation_ApplianceGroup_A3JG2AXOV5CMGL_3a2d692d_e53b_4cf1_882d_ff15530d5096_powerState' received command ON
15:07:09.586 [INFO ] [arthome.event.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - amazonechocontrol_smartHomeDeviceGroup_e5e78250_amzn1_HomeAutomation_ApplianceGroup_A3JG2AXOV5CMGL_3a2d692d_e53b_4cf1_882d_ff15530d5096_powerState predicted to become ON
15:07:09.588 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ItemStateChangedEvent] - amazonechocontrol_smartHomeDeviceGroup_e5e78250_amzn1_HomeAutomation_ApplianceGroup_A3JG2AXOV5CMGL_3a2d692d_e53b_4cf1_882d_ff15530d5096_powerState changed from OFF to ON
15:07:11.338 [INFO ] [ome.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'amazonechocontrol:smartHomeDeviceGroup:e5e78250:amzn1-HomeAutomation-ApplianceGroup-A3JG2AXOV5CMGL-3a2d692d-e53b-4cf1-882d-ff15530d5096' changed from ONLINE to UNKNOWN
15:07:11.341 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ItemStateChangedEvent] - amazonechocontrol_smartHomeDeviceGroup_e5e78250_amzn1_HomeAutomation_ApplianceGroup_A3JG2AXOV5CMGL_3a2d692d_e53b_4cf1_882d_ff15530d5096_powerState changed from ON to OFF
15:07:20.687 [INFO ] [ome.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'amazonechocontrol:smartHomeDeviceGroup:e5e78250:amzn1-HomeAutomation-ApplianceGroup-A3JG2AXOV5CMGL-3a2d692d-e53b-4cf1-882d-ff15530d5096' changed from UNKNOWN to ONLINE
15:07:20.687 [INFO ] [smarthome.event.ItemStateChangedEvent] - amazonechocontrol_smartHomeDeviceGroup_e5e78250_amzn1_HomeAutomation_ApplianceGroup_A3JG2AXOV5CMGL_3a2d692d_e53b_4cf1_882d_ff15530d5096_powerState changed from OFF to ON

Please do not do this, or make it configurable. The announcements are not specific to an Amazon account, and they go to all devices in an Amazon ā€œhouseholdā€. For example, we have 3 families in our household. You can guess what happened when I played with announcements at 2am when they first came out!

1 Like

Hello!

Iā€™ve actually made queue for multiple messages almost the same way. Expire binding item with 5 seconds timer - while the timer (switch) is ON, Iā€™m adding text to a string item and extending timer. If no message is received in 5 seconds switch goes to OFF, sends text to Echo TTS item, and resets string item to an empty string. But, as Iā€™ve already said, it creates slight delay and is a bit annoying. Anyway, thank you for the explanation.

Best regards,
Davor

Something like

rule "My alarm"
when Item AlarmState changed to ON
then
    Echo_Living_Room_SendMessage.sendCommand("My Alarm")
end

As far as I see, there are two types of Announcments. One type is send to the account and starts the green light, but the other one which can be found in the alexa routines have a specific device id and only speaks a message (and shows a short popup).

Both functions can be tested with current binding. The announcement channel (which I want use for the TTS implemention) can be found in the echo things, the other one is named sendMessage which makes the global announcment with the green light.

The error seem not related to the polling interval, it seem to be a problem with the login, maybe a bug.

Have you seen it only with the 10 seconds polling interval? Could you test it again if the problem is reproducible?

Hmm, and what exactly does that achieve?

Try it and then please tell us.

Hi,

Iā€™ve installed the latest Beta. But sometimes the tts-volume is set back to 0. Persistence is configured.
Maybe a bug?

Thank you!

Regards,
Oliver

It seems hard to reproduce. I have changed the polling time from 10 sec to 30 sec and then back to 10 sec and Iā€™ve got no error in both case.

Yes, maybe, but I have no idea how I could fix this

Maybe somebody has observed this too already:

When I trigger Alexa and ask her to play from Spotify, the channel ā€œplayerā€ correctly switches from PAUSE to PLAY. And when I stop the song, it switches correctly back from PLAY to PAUSE.

Once I start to trigger a radio channel (play bla bla from tunein), the channel ā€œplayerā€ currently does nothing. No value is given back at this stage, not triggering any of my rules (obviously).

Any Idea on what happened? I am almost certain it was working recently. Using the current 2.5 RC release advertised on top.

Thanks,
Sebastian

Hi,

would it be possible to add support for the Fire TV Cube? Maybe i can provide some necessary information to you.

Regards,

Tom

Just try to create an echo Thing for your Fire TV Cube. You will get the required id from the web page of the binding. After this, you can test which channels are working. If you can provide me a full list, I would be able to create an own thing type for this.

2 Likes

Hi,
Iā€™m new on the stable release of this binding.
Thx for your work!

Is it possible to get the nextalarm for recurring alarms (recurringPattern) on a device?
Or is it planed to be implemented?

Force Unit Selection - Announcement

Anybody else starting to get this message before your own TTS starts?

ā€œForce Unit Selectionā€

Best, Jay

Iā€™m hearing the same message since yesterday. I havenā€™t updated OpenHAB/binding, so, Iā€™m guessing this fault is on Amazon side.

Best regards,
Davor

Looks like Amazon fixed it in the US now.

Best, Jay

Iā€™am not sure about this, is it currently not visible in the nextAlarm or nextMusicAlarm?

Thanks for this new addon, its great for some devices, especially skill ones that have difficult openhab direct integration ( yeelight is so much better ā€¦ ) I was wondering if there is a plan to support sensors
I have some amazon integrated wifi door and motion sensors and it could be much easier to run those thru the alexa instead of direct to openhab.