Private and public network

Hi, Im new a openHab, I was wondering if is possible to somehow have two network connections in my raspberry, one to connect my IoT devices and sensors(with no internet connection, a intranet*), and other with internet connection to access services and apps to connect my openHab instance, basically 1 raspberry wit openhab connected to 2 networks… thanks!

To connect to two networks you need two network adapters. If both are wifi and have an RPi with an onboard WiFi support, you will need to get and configure a second USB WiFi adapter to connect to the second network.

1 Like

@rlkoshak, I undestand, now, from a technical point of view, is this somenting you would recommend, I´m thinking in this solution due a security reasons and to not charge the wifi of the house(I think this will help me to avoid the direct conection of the devices to internet and not lose wifi speed) ???

Having two networks running without any issues is more technically demanding than having one and limiting the communication of devices. However

• having IoT devices on an seperate network is always better. But it doesnt necessarily need to be another wifi network
  • if it’s just about limiting the traffic so that the devices don’t communicate to the www, set it in your router. There is often the option to limit the device for ingoing and outgoing traffic, both to the intranet as to the www
  • this only makes sense if you want to control the data which is sent. For traffic reason, if you don’t have very very many wifi based devices or they are downloading and uploading a lot, the traffic is low. For normal store bought IoT devices, you can ignore the traffic they are causing
2 Likes

I second everything @NoneWhereTo wrote.

I don’t bother having my IoT WiFi devices on another network, as I don’t have enough that I worry about the network traffic. However, if they can be controlled via openHAB I usually deny them access to the Internet.

I have a lot of TP-Link Kasa WiFi devices that work really well in openHAB and can be denied Internet access after they’re set up. I strongly recommend avoiding Belkin Wemos, which have caused me and others a lot of frustration over the years. The Kasas are much more reliable.

If you’re concerned about security, you should also consider Z-Wave or Zigbee devices. They aren’t as easy to set up as WiFi devices, so I’m not sure I’d recommend them as a starting point. However, they generally consume less energy, are more secure, and are often more reliable than WiFi devices once you’ve got them working.

3 Likes

You could possibly setup a vlan and try this:

My tradfri gateway is on a different vlan than openHAB and openHAB is able to see it with no issues. I only did it for a test, actually I just plugged in the wrong switch port and decided to see what would happen.

My other pi with software for running leds has two vlans and works like a champ.

4 Likes

yes

Guys thanks, I appreciate the answers, I think I will experiment a little bit with the options you gave me <3

1 Like