Problem, adding new device STEINEL RS LED D2 to the z-wave database

Will do - I’m currently on holiday so I may not get the chance to do it before next week…

Thank you for the info. Have a nice holiday.

Hi, I also have a Steinel device, but I fail to added it to my openhab. I have an aeontec usb stick.

In inbox is detected as as an unknown device.

Z-Wave Node 6 (0271:0001:1A74:0.48)
Unknown Device
zwave:device:36e5ac8e:node6

Checking the database I see is already an entry there for my ManufacturerId,ProductTypeId, ProductId .

The logs from the binding:

2017-12-24 12:10:54.426 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 6: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! 0271:0001:1A74::0.48
==> /var/log/openhab2/events.log <==
2017-12-24 12:10:54.435 [home.event.InboxAddedEvent] - Discovery Result with UID ‘zwave:device:36e5ac8e:node6’ has been added.
==> /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log <==
2017-12-24 12:10:54.434 [INFO ] [g.discovery.internal.PersistentInbox] - Added new thing ‘zwave:device:36e5ac8e:node6’ to inbox.
2017-12-24 12:10:54.450 [ERROR] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Got I/O exception Input/output error in writeArray during sending. exiting thread.
2017-12-24 12:10:59.463 [ERROR] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Got I/O exception Input/output error in writeArray during sending. exiting thread.
2017-12-24 12:11:04.469 [ERROR] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Got I/O exception Input/output error in writeArray during sending. exiting thread.
2017-12-24 12:11:09.475 [ERROR] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Got I/O exception Input/output error in writeArray during sending. exiting thread.
2017-12-24 12:11:24.343 [ERROR] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Got I/O exception Input/output error in writeArray during sending. exiting thread.
2017-12-24 12:11:29.349 [ERROR] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Got I/O exception Input/output error in writeArray during sending. exiting thread.
2017-12-24 12:11:34.374 [ERROR] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Got I/O exception Input/output error in writeArray during sending. exiting thread.
2017-12-24 12:11:39.385 [ERROR] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Got I/O exception Input/output error in writeArray during sending. exiting thread.

Any idea what I can do?
Marius

Hi Marius,

I think we have to wait for @chris

I created the database-entry and now chris has to release it.
Only then the status of the device can change from UNKNOWN DEVICE to STEINEL RS LED D2.
Hoping I’m right. Have never created a entry before.

Merry Christmas.

I’ve just arrived home and will try and do a database update tonight if jetlag doesn’t catch me first :wink:

Can wait until tomorow.

Hope, you don’t have to deal with that. Good luck.
If so, maybe this is helpful: 7-ways-to-prevent-jet-lag

1 Like

Hallo Everyone

I also get the STEINEL RS LED D2 and included it to my z-wave network, that worked fine.
Then i copied the Openhab 2 file from the RS LED D2 (thanks to @anfaenger for that) in to my zwave/node12.xml (first i deleted the old data which it generated automatically and paste the new xml data).
If i’m now going to the Paper UI the Device is still online but i cann’t see some defined channels.

does anyone have a idea what im doing wrong?

Hello Minor,

I had the lamp included. But it always stayed in the status “unknown device”.
I ran out of time then. That’s why I could not keep working on it.
I could not test the lamp any further and do not use it in openhab yet.

That means the status of the device changed from “unknown” to “STEINEL RS LED D2” ?
Great to hear!

Sorry I’m a little bit confused. Why did you do that when it was already recognized as “STEINEL RS LED D2”? Couldn’t you define channels without doing that?

The change in the status of your lamp from “unknown” to “STEINEL RS LED D2” motivates me.
I will try again to include mine.

@marius_c1 What about you? Did you manage it?

Hi Rich,

Changing ‘zwave:device:4eb75bc3:node49’ to ‘zwave:device:dongle:node49’,
this is really a good idea. It has also taken me a long time to rename my items.
But how did you do that? I couldn’t find a way to change the ThingID. Neither in PaperUI nor in HABmin.
Would you please show me how?

You have to rename the serial controller to “dongle” and then go through the Inbox to create the Things again. You cannot rename the Things through the UIs.

I first renamed my controller and then included the devices.
grafik

Sorry, I think I have not understood something yet.

You only have the opportunity to change the name of the serial controller Thing when you first create it. So to change the name your have to :slight_smile:

1. Delete all your existing zwave Things, including the controller.
  2. Create the serial controller Thing, change the randomly created ID to something standard
  3. Scan for new devices and accept the zwave nodes out of the inbox
  4. Relink your Items to the channels on the newly created and accepted Things. If you are using .items file you just need to find and replace the old ID with the new one. If using PaperUI you need to relink the channels using PaperUI one by one.
1 Like

Ok, I got it!

For all who struggled like me, step by step:
I have taken an SD card with a clean installed openHAB 2.2.0-1 (Release Build) and installed the Z-Wave binding.
Then follow the steps …

grafik

grafik

grafik

grafik

grafik

Re-including all my devices is a little bigger task. Therefore, in my right system I will do that later.
Nevertheless, once more, @rlkoshak thank you very much!
But now I got off the actual topic.

Heey anfaenger

No, not realy i just get it in to my z-wave network but not online. The dedevice looks like this…

I copied the Openhab 2 file which you created in to the nod12.xml-file (node 12 is the STEINEL RS LED D2 in my z-wave network) how described in this Steinel topic. I now it is ah motion sensor but i thought i have it to in the same way. Isn’t that the way it works?

I think, after inclusion the device type should be recognized automatically.

Maybe on sunday I will have time to try a re-inclusion.

Only if it is a mains powered device. If it is battery powered you either need to wait a long time (days sometimes) or you need to wake up the device several times (5-10 times) for the binding to figure out what it is. See the device manual for how to wake it up. It usually involves pressing a button or the like.

Yes, STEINEL RS LED D2 is a mains powered device. Thanks for the info.

So, are you still satisfied with this lamp?
Can you use the motion sensor independent from the light in openhab?

I can’t say I’m satisfied, because I never could get this device properly included into my openhab system.
Probably that’s because of my lack of skills.
Therefore, in my home this device runs as standalone.

Is there someone out there how managed it to get this device running properly?
@marius_c1 ?
@minor ?

Sorry for the late reply, I have 2 of them, both work with the default zwave device definition. I can change the properties, i can turn on/off from openhab.

Not problems, the one in the basement sometimes the sensor doesn’t work, you pass under it and it will not turn on. Then i have to manually open from the button. The one from the entrance door is perfectly fine all the time.

So mixed feelings. I am not contemplating with idea to disable the sensor on it and use a external sensor. But kind of defeats the purpose of the device.