Problem installing OpenHab 2.1 Release on DSM 6.1

I deinstalled openHAB2 and made a new installation: openHAB2, 2.2.0.008 and afterwards the snapshot 2.2.0.3.
The problem was not solved. The installation did not install for example even demo.sitemap. So I think, there must be something wrong but I have no idea, what …

@walter32 Did you grant read/write access to the Synology local group “users” on the public-folder? This is a requirement.

Summary

The installation process automatically adds a user “openhab2” (as a member of “users” to your system, hence the above requirement) which makes it possible for openHAB2 to make a symbolic link to these folders and access them. You can check whether the installation has succesfully added the “openhab2” user:

1 Like

of course I did, I tried it with the admin-group too; I also made a local folder conf, but I had no luck …

on my DS214play with DSM6 I’ve just successfully installed
openHAB-2.2.0.003-SNAPSHOT-syno-noarch-0.001.spk without any problems.

And it’s the first time I’ve installed a package which successfully set the softlinks to public, so thank you for the improvements Christian.

Latest Version 2.1.0.008 works for me on my DS414 with armadaxp CPU running DSM 6. There were 2 obstacles I had to overcome.

There is absolutely no install documentation about the public folder. loovanloon provided the key for me that the public folder needed read/write permission for group users. No such requirement previously existed when all files were in /volume1/@appstore, the install took care of all permissions.

Is it proper to open an issue on github about the missing documentation about public folder requirements that prevents a successful install of the software? (Item 52 could be closed after updating the documentation for Java which now directs the user to install a version of Java that will not run on DSM 6 Synology with Armada chipsets.)

I also found that my configuration files that worked on ver 2.0 failed on 2.1 because a # is not a proper comment. Once I replaced the # with //, the conf files were accepted.

Yes, open an issue on GitHub, please!

OK, I will open an issue on GitHub. I started to reflect on why I had a public folder and why OpenHAB used that folder. The reason I have a public folder is that the PCLoadbetter Java utility required that the Oracle Java file be put into the public folder. Otherwise I would’ve never created public and I had no plans to use public. I believe the reason OpenHAB uses public for configs is to allow easy PC access to that file system for viewing and editing the conf files. Are there other reasons for the use of public?

just installed the new 2.2.0.004-SNAPSHOT, which installs as expected and runs fine.

Thanks Christian. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, be careful installing the beta releases of openHAB in Synology disks, the last one completely deleted my DSM partition. I have to re-install the OS from scratch now. I have a post for this.

I will put there if I am able to recover my data partitions after I re-install.

Same issue with openHAB-2.1.0.008-DSM6-syno-noarch-0.001.spk, installation failed and errased my configuration

Hello all ,

I run Xpenology 6.1 which is the selfbuilt synology.
all 2.2 packages fail and do not start.
i run now 2.1.008 which runs fine.

i deleted first all packages and rest i could find of my previous installation.
i have a /volume1/Public folder mind the captital letter.
via windows explorer i create the maps conf and addons.
rights in synology are set to all users read and write to the Public folder.
then i just install the package 2.1.0.0.8 as described above and that works.

i also upgraded my java installation to 8u144 as it told me to update.

at this point no luck with the 2.2 versions but as said on the website its WIP.

kindest regards

I had the pcloadletter version installed so yes the se version

I’m interested … anyone can help please.

Anyone can help me investigate what am I doing wrong when can’t access OH2 web interface on my
DS214se, DSM 6.1.3-15152 Update 4

I’ve:

• Installed Java8
  • Open Java8 and followed instructions to update to Oracle version: jdk-8u144-linux-arm32-vfp-hflt.tar.gz
  • installed openHAB-2.1.0.008-DSM6-syno-noarch-0.001.spk
  • openHAB2 is up and running (I can also SSH in), but I can’t access OH2 via web interface
    http://take.ms/Fm6m3

Have you tried using the IP adres instead of ‘nasik’ in your URL?

Met vriendelijke groet,
Ton van Loon

Yup, I’ve tried. Result is the same.

version 2.2 snaphot 7 (available here) installs OK and runs for me without any problems on a DS214play with DSM6.1 (if you take the option to install the config to /volume1/public/openHAB2. I’ve not tried the other install-path options).

Thanks I’ll give it a try. Smth went wrong and I need to reinstall whole DSM first.

After reinstalling DSM all works as expected. Thank you guys.

Hi Christian, I believe you are the only person who created the native Openhab Synology spk versions. Are you planning to do this also for the new Openhab 3.1.x releases and higher. I expect that many people would be happy if you do this.