Problems installing openhab2 on ubunth

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: CPUArchitecture/RAM/storage
    • Java Runtime Environment:1.8
    • openHAB version: 2

Good day all.
I have done everything as per manual and i am new on ophab and linux.
When i try and do the sudo tee comand it asks vor my password and it hangs from there . Have tried all other topics and manuals i could find on the net.
Still hangs there all installed and done to what the manual said.
Please help me.
Is there a other way to install ?

Thank you

Hi Allen,
sudo allows you to run a program with admin rights.

During the installation of Ubuntu you also create a user login with password.
This user is allowed to be admin using sudo command.
sudo wants to have the password of that user for security reason.

Kind Regards
Andy

You don’t see the password being typed as you type it in Linux either. So you must type and press enter to continue.

I understand that. But my problom comes with the instalation as when the repository has to write to the openhab2.list it vreezes and i have left it for a day. But still doesnot work. I have tride to do the apt-get ophab but it doesnot work. Did everything acourding to installation gide but i cant get it to install

3AF67622-E314-4FFB-997C-B18CEDC40178

In the one image i do the key comand and it gives me a key. Then i do the apt-key add-
Then it hangs up

Which instructions are you using? http://docs.openhab.org/installation/linux.html describes it as one command:

wget -qO - 'https://bintray.com/user/downloadSubjectPublicKey?username=openhab' | sudo apt-key add -

The β€˜|’ is a pipe, essentially it sends the output of the left side to the input of the right side. You need to do them together otherwise the second command will wait forever for an input.

I’d suggest reading the recommendations for Linux at the top of that page for commands. You may also wish to consider using openHABian.

Thank you
I am still learning
And want to do the coding.

Thank you all. Got it sorted.

1 Like