Problems starting ser2net/socat/Z-Wave connection

Hi

I’ve got two Raspberry Pi’s - one with a Z-Wave stick and ser2net and the other with socat and OpenHAB (and a Z-Wave stick of it’s own.

I can get the remote Z-Wave on the remote Pi working and running solidly. However if the connection gets broken, I have to fiddle around and poke various parts of the system before it will reconnect otherwise it just reports as “Offline”. This can take ages and I have yet to discover what I do to fix the link. It’s really annoying!

So far as I’m aware the ser2net/socat link is OK as socat happily sits running. Restarting OH or just the ZWave bundle doesn’t help - until it does!

Any ideas what could be going on?

Permissions on the tty are:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Jun 7 13:47 /dev/ttyACM9 -> /dev/pts/2
crwxrwxrwx 1 openhab dialout 136, 2 Jun 7 2018 /dev/pts/2

Socat is running as:
/usr/bin/socat -d -d -d -lf /var/log/socat.log pty,link=/dev/ttyACM9,raw,user=openhab,group=dialout,mode=777 tcp:
ser2net config:
:raw:0:/dev/ttyACM0:115200 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Hmm as far as i remember there is a thread about ser2net and based on that description it works very reliable on my system with blue giga adapters. The startup ist implemented as a daemon with reconnect. You should search the forum

Another option is maybe to use usb2ip on server side i brought it to work, but on the client side i never made it

Thanks yes, I’m aware of posts explaining others setups but I still have problems. So far as I’m aware I’ve tried everything I could find - this has been a problem for quite a while. It won’t work then suddenly springs into life.

I’ll give usb2ip a go. I’m not convinced the link itself is a problem as socat stays running, but I’m out of ideas!

@Dibbler42 - usb2ip has made everything spring into life thanks. Fingers crossed it stays that way :slight_smile:
I’m off to edit my startup configs now!

Wow, on which platform does your openhab is running? i never fugured out how to establish the link at the openhab side on a Raspberry Pi 3

Raspberry Pi on both ends of the link.

I used these instructions:
https://3mdeb.com/os-dev/linux-rpi-and-usb-over-ip-updated/#.WxlwtTNKh25
So:
usbip list -r
modprobe vhci-hcd
usbip attach -r -b

However “usbip port” doesn’t work but the link does, happily.
When you set up the remote end, it’s worth doing a netstat to check the code is listening to the port as I did have a situation once where the code seemed to be working but it wasn’t listening.

i tried that a hundered time, but no sucess.

You are using Stretch?

I thought I was up-to-date but it appears to be Jessie on the Openhab end. Stretch on the remote end

Is it reporting anything?

i tried it again and get an error while binding

libusbip: error: udev_device_new_from_subsystem_sysname failed

and it is stretch on the openhab end

Hmm - there are some suggestions that it might have something to do with vhci-hcd. I think I’ll avoid that upgrade for a while :confused:

you better do i tested it now.

Raspbian Stretch: Server - Yes; Client - No
Raspbian Jessie: server - Yes; Client - Yes, but Errors while detaching and port commands