Problems with Pentair binding

Yeah, so Jeff sent me a “jar” file, which is basicall a compressed version of the code. You can copy these into your addons folder and openhab will automatically install it.

You have to make sure the old binding is uninstalled first. Send me a message and I’ll give you the link to the file.

Thanks to Rich for sending me a copy of the latest jar file. I looked over the latest pull request to see the updated documentation and get it all set up. Works great! There’s a lot more functionality now. The heat control thing is still a little confusing but I can live without it.

Thanks Jeff! I appreciate the work!

-AJ

Resurrecting this thread as I’m not getting data from this binding. Set up is as follows; running both v2.5.8 Release Build and v2.5.9 Build #221, both versions can see and connect to my Pentair ScreenLogic2 Interface Protocol Adapter which has the Pentair Wireless Link hardwired to it, i.e. shows up as online under things on both versions. I have an EasyTouch2.8 controller running version 2.160 firmware. I’m able to manually add the ET controller under things and tie it to the IP Bridge. I can then link the items under the controller channel but I never receive any data in the UI interface.

I also went the manual route of setting all this up via the binding documentation with the same result, everything appears to be up and functional but I have no data or control.

I’ve reviewed local log files but I’m not seeing anything indicative of a problem. Would appreciate any “Hey did you check this” or “Maybe you should look at that” type of guidance.

Thanks.

Try swapping the data wires.

Thanks for the suggestion Rich. I switched the -DT (green) and +DT (yellow) data wires at the protocol adapter, power cycled the wireless link and restarted openHAB, no joy. This also affected the ability of the Pentair ScreenLogic software to connect. Swapped back and ScreenLogic reconnects no problem. I’ve also confirmed my protocol adapter is running the latest firmware revision from Pentair. Any other thoughts?

__tym

Have you configured this through config files or the UI? If the latter, the thing name is incorrect and it won’t work. You need config files. See my post higher up and also ronf’s posts.

Anthony,
Thanks for the response. I have reviewed everything in this thread and have tried both ways. I’m not using a serial bridge but rather a Pentair IP Protocol Adapter, there is no hardwire between the protocol adapter and the controller, it’s wireless.

I tried to keep the config files simple.
This is my thing def;
Bridge pentair:ip_bridge:1 [ address=“a.b.c.d”, port=xxx ] {
easytouch main [ id=16 ]
intellichlor ic40
}

And my item def;
Group gPool “Pool”

Number Pool_Temp “Pool Temp [%.1f °F]” (gPool) { channel = “pentair:easytouch:1:main:pooltemp” }
Number Spa_Temp “Spa Temp [%.1f °F]” (gPool) { channel = “pentair:easytouch:1:main:spatemp” }
Number Air_Temp “Air Temp [%.1f °F]” (gPool) { channel = “pentair:easytouch:1:main:airtemp” }

Number SaltOutput “Salt Output [%d%%]” (gPool) { channel = “pentair:intellichlor:1:ic40:saltoutput” }
Number Salinity “Salinity [%d ppm]” (gPool) { channel = “pentair:intellichlor:1:ic40:salinity” }

__tym

Tym-

I don’t know that the Pentair IP Protocol Adapter will work with this binding. I know you said you manually set it up and it says online, but I don’t think that actually means much. I’m guessing it may just mean that the binding in fact finds something at that IP. That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s getting the right data from it.

From my understanding, this binding is expecting a raw serial string from an ip serial bridge…like whatever standard protocol those things run. I imagine that the Pentair IP Protocol Adapter may be running some other crap that’s totally proprietary. Just guessing here.

Good news is that the whole system runs on a RS-485 bus, so you can just attach one of those adapters. I know I the one I posted from Amazon works and it’s still available. Like <$30…with amazon’s return policy, it’s definitely worth a shot.

Thanks Rich, I’ll see what I can do with that. Only problem I have is that I don’t have ethernet pulled to my pool equipment, hence the wireless interface tied to the IP Protocol Adapter. I’ll continue digging, appreciate the guidance.

__tym

Tym - you don’t need Ethernet at the pool equipment. You do need to be able to run a cable, either from your controller or from the controller display panel. You just connect into the existing RS485 cable and run that to the USB adapter. It’s just 2 wires.

Tym,

Sorry this is a bit late, but did you ever get this to work? I don’t have an ethernet cable at my pool equipment either, but my setup is working great. I used a Global Cache iTach WF2SL hooked up to a RS232-RS485 converter:

If you go that route let me know if you need help setting it up.
-AJ

Hi Jeff,

I’m currently using the pentair binding for my IntelliFlo pump, which works great using a RS485 to IP adapter! Now i do not own the easytouch controller, but instead i own the IntelliPool system. I’m trying to reverse engineer the Modbus messages but do not seem to get any further…

From what I can see, addresses are the same (96 for the Probe unit and 16 for the controller). But then i get stuck. Cannot make any soup of the messages flowing. How can I be of any help to add support for Intellipool to the binding?

With kind regards,

Kay

Hi Kay - I’d be happy to help if you want to try and implement the protocol for IntelliPool system. Let’s connect and align on how to proceed - there are others who would like this functionality as well.

Jeff

Have you tried seeing if nodejsPoolcontroller shows anything? I’m sure that the protocol is largely the same.

Hi, i’m not able to check currently, because i’m using an ethernet <-> RS485 adapter. I read that this isn’t supported, so I just ordered a USB dongle in order to test with nodejsPoolcontroller…

Keep you guys posted with progress

Hi guys,

Everything up and running over here with USB adapter. Now the configuration part, where to start?
Stuck at: “Verify your pool equipment is correctly identified by inspecting the /data/*.json files”
No documentation available on that part…

This broke for me when I transitioned to OH3. Anybody have any experience there?

Hi Rich -

You can download a version 3.1 jar file at the following location: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UW74ArL9NfevIiMzHJblxSsvlDJeTfK5/view?usp=sharing

Instructions can be found at:

Let me know if you have any issues.

Regards,
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Looks like you shared the 2.5.7 jar. That version worked great for me on OH2.x, but doesn’t work anymore.

How is the one in the store?

Interestingly enough, it seems like my whole system is “read only” I can watch in OH as I turn stuff on/off, but I can’t turn anything on/off from openhab.