Proper openHAB 2 configuration for Aeon MultiSensor 6 ZW100

I am trying to use this sensor on openHAB 2. I am eventually able to get sensor readings from it, but the motion detection does not seem to work. I noticed and have played with several parameters including the report type, associate groups, wakeup, and timeouts, but to no avail. What kind of configuration is required of this device to make it work well?

The device is plugged in via USB, not on battery, and was set up plugged in.

Also, does the green light go on on your sensors when motion is detected?

The green light does go on for me on openHAB1… Sensor firmware version 1.07 and running with USB as well.

Best
Sami

OK, I set up zwave debugging and can see that something is happening upon motion. It’s not clear if it’s an alert or the binary switch is being updated. Are people using the alert channel or the switch channel for this? And how do you get the state of that channel in a rule? The state attribute doesn’t seem to exist on the switch channel at least.

I have version 1.7 of the device.

• Green light goes on when motion detected
  • I see the sensor_binary channel change when motion is detected
  • The alarm_general channel always seems to be ON

Here’s a snip Chris’s log viewer showing what’s sent for motion and no motion.

My config is:

• battery-powered
  • wakeup = 3600
  • association group 1 = openHAB Controller
  • motion sensor reset timeout (param 3) = 30
  • motion sensor sensitivity (param 4) = 5 (maximum)
  • motion sensor trigger command (param 5) = send sensor binary report

Hey @chris. In my post directly above, the ZW100 generates an ALARM_REPORT when motion is detected, and when the motion reset timer expires. However, the alarm_general channel always seems to be ON.

I’m not sure if I decoded this right, but the ZW100 appears to be sending the following when motion detected:

0x71    Command Class Alarm (or maybe Notification V?)
0x05    Notification Report
0x00    Alarm Type
0x00    Alarm Level
0x00    Source Node
0xFF    Z-Wave Alarm Type (Burglar)
0x08    Z-Wave Alarm Event (Reserved)
0x00    Number of Event Parameters

And on motion reset timer expiration, sends:

0x00    Z-Wave Alarm Event (Reserved)

Did I decode this correctly? If so, I suppose the Alarm Event isn’t very meaningful to the binding given that both 0x08 and 0x00 are “Reserved”.

I changed to these settings and was able to get it working. Strange, because I am pretty sure I had been using similar settings before, to no avail. Oh well.

I used the channel sensor_binary and was able to write a rule with a trigger like
Item something.sensor_binary changed
or
Item something.sensor_binary changed to ON
to make use of the information.

I wasn’t able to figure out how to get the current status within the execution code block, though. I tried this but it didn’t work:

if something.sensor_binary.status==ON
then ...
else ...
end

Do you have a solution for this?

No - you’re trying to decode it like a V1 ALARM.

This is using the NOTIFICATION class so you can’t decode it the same as an alarm. The relevant parts are the 07 08. 07 means it’s a HOME_SECURITY notification, and the 00 after means it’s reset, and the 08 after means it’s a motion event.

I will take a look over this in the coming day or two - I have exactly the same issue with the Fibaro FGMS. It should be possible to adjust the settings to use older command classes but I’d prefer to make it work with a more default configuration.

I normally would use something.state in the rule body and something in the when section?

Assuming your item is defined like this:

Switch something "Motion ZW100 [%s]" { channel="zwave:device:zstick:node7:sensor_binary" }

For example

rule
    when
        Item something changed
    then
        if (something.state == ON) {
            // Do stuff
        }
end

Ugh. Thanks. One day I’ll figure out how the alarm/notification classes work… :cry:

Hi,

I would like to share my experience with MS6 ZW100 version1.7 under OH2:

• all sensors are working fine
  • setting the motion sensor reset time to 30s works fine (same settings from mhilbush, but working on Batteries)
  • when I change the reset time to 60s, 120s or to 240s, the reset does not happen. OH2 keep showing Triggered at all times.
    Furthermore, the MS6 sends cyclic reports corresponding to the reset time in param 3, each time with sensor_binary_report = 255. Only when param is set to 30s, the `` is setback.

I assume this is something that has to do with byte ordering on the MS6.

Check following log:

MS6 is at Node10.

Regards

Running openhabian snapshot on a pi.

Have now had one of these for a couple days.

The binary and motion switch seem to work in rules (i.e. when ms6 changed, do something). But, they never show as changed in paperui.

In fact the value is blank and the item definition is:

Switch ms6_binary "MS6 Switch [%s]" {channel="zwave:device:16500637f6a:node17:sensor_binary"}
Number ms6_temperature "MS6 Temperature [%.2f]" {channel="zwave:device:16500637f6a:node17:sensor_temperature"}
Number ms6_ultraviolet "MS6 UV [%.2f]" {channel="zwave:device:16500637f6a:node17:sensor_ultraviolet"}
Number ms6_luminance "MS6 Luminance [%.2f]" {channel="zwave:device:16500637f6a:node17:sensor_luminance"}
Number ms6_humidity "MS6 Humidity [%f%%]" {channel="zwave:device:16500637f6a:node17:sensor_relhumidity"}
Switch ms6_motion "MS6 Motion [%s]" {channel="zwave:device:16500637f6a:node17:alarm_motion"}
Number ms6_battery "MS6 Battery [%f%%]" {channel="zwave:device:16500637f6a:node17:battery-level"}

Also, does the aeotec MS6 really have a UV sensor? I never get a change in the UV value…even with a UV source in front of the device.