Proper Shutdown strategy in order to clone SD card - Does shutting down OH shutdown everything?

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Rpi4
    • Java Runtime Environment:
    • openHAB version: 2.5

So with a lot of help from the community (Thank You) I have my OH up and running with data going to InfluxDB and Grafana. I would now like to start saving and backing up for when my SD card dies. What is the proper method to shut everything down so I can pull the SD and clone it. I have googled aroung a bit and got some info for OH but I am unsure if OH also means Influx and Grafana

TIA

sudo shutdown -h now
Wait a few minutes and everything will be shut down.

It is possible to shut down OpenHAB but leave the remaining part of the system running much like you can close a browser window but the computer is still running.

Here’s a tutorial for adding reboot and shutdown commands to your sitemap.

However, I need to update the commands. My understanding with Buster is that you can use:

sudo systemctl reboot
sudo systemctl poweroff

However, I haven’t tested this (since I’m not on Buster yet), so I haven’t updated the tutorial to reflect it.

The ‘proper’ backup method is to install a backup software and backup every day.
Install openHABian if you haven’t already and there install Amanda from the 50 menu.
It can also be used to clone your SD card, see README. All while OH keeps running.

2 Likes