Prowl for OpenHAB2

Has anyone tested out Prowl binding in OpenHAB2? I have converted my small setup into version 2 and like how things function. Once I figured a few things out in the designer it has been much easier to navigate than the previous. The only thing left to workout is my Prowl notifications. It doesn’t show in the list in PaperUI so I know it has not been fully tested yet. However I have added the old 1.8.3 jar file to my addons folder and created a prowl.cfg files in my services folder and nothing seems to be working. I copied the prowl portion of my old 1.8 cfg file into the prowl.cfg, is that what’s needed? What do I need to do for the designer to recognize the binding?

Thank you in advance

Prowl is indeed available for OH2. It is under the Actions tab rather than Bindings.
I have just started using it for a washer and dryer sensor and can say that it works well. Maybe too well in fact. I had a logic error in my washer sensor and received several dozen notifications before I could get it shut down. :smiley:

Once installed from the Paper UI, the config file is located at conf/services/prowl.cfg.

I’m glad you have it working however I just checked my Paper UI and under Actions Prowl is not available. Is it possible to download and add it? I believe I chose the offline install when I installed openhab so all the available addons should be there.

I’m not familiar with the offline distro. I believe this may be it https://github.com/openhab/openhab
Should be v1.9.0.Snapshot.

Please forgive me, I’m newer to github and this format of development. What exactly would I be looking for in the link you sent? I found the actions folder and prowl under that but I have no idea what I’m looking at. Would it be recommended to use the online distro, it would update to the newest available bindings wouldn’t it? I guess I didn’t think about it enough when I installed. Do you know of a way to convert from offline to online distro? I’ve just started into it on a new Pi3 so it would be the end of the world to start from scratch if I had to.

As far as I know, GitHub does not have a simple way to download a single folder in a project. You would have to grab the whole thing using the Clone or download button (download as .zip).

Switching over to the Online version may be the easiest solution. Then any time an Addon is updated, you can get the latest version by simply removing it and reinstalling.
If you save any configuration files you’ve created/modified in the conf folder, it should be a relatively painless process to switch.

So I’m still at a loss for what I should be doing. I decided that I would just go ahead and start from scratch on my rPi, I had been playing around with openhab 1 and 2 on the same memory card and decided for cleanliness I would start over and dedicate it to openhab2. So while reinstalling I chose the online version hoping that it would include the needed prowl extension but it is still not there. Is there something else I should be doing? Does it make sense to try out the snapshot release and see if it’s included?
I’m still confused about why I can’t try and use the old 1.8.3 extension file, shouldn’t I be able to simply add it to the addons folder and create a prowl.cfg file in the services folder?

When you say it’s not there, you mean it’s not available to install under Extensions > Actions?
To be honest I can’t remember whether I’m on Beta or Snapshot, but I think the Snapshot is recommended as there have been many bug fixes since the latest Beta.

You can try to use the 1.8.3 binding but I’m afraid I won’t be of much assistance there. I don’t know if there were changes made in the 1.9.0 release regarding compatibility with OH2.

Yes it was not there in PaperUI under Extensions > Actions. I didn’t realize the difference between beta and snapshot, I’m used to snapshots being updated frequently and things can tend to act funny snapshot to snapshot. I have uninstalled the beta version and installed the snapshot online and Prowl is available. There is a much larger number of extensions available through this version.

Thank you very much for your patience and your help.

You’re welcome. Glad you got it going.

The current version I’m on has resolved most of the outstanding bugs I had been experiencing in OH2 so I am holding here for now, at least for production.
If you installed using apt and don’t wish to upgrade you may have to take a little more care to not accidentally do so.

So I now have Prowl listed in my actions but through smarthome designer the methods are causing errors. Did you have to use any import statements to get it to work in your rules? I’ve been struggling just getting a simple rule based on a switch change to work in OH2, not sure what’s going on there. Possibly because there are errors in the rules file from the prowl notifications?

No, I just added my api key in prowl.cfg.
Then to send a message:

pushNotification("Subject", "Message")
1 Like

I can not get Prowl to work.
Using openhab2.
Have installed the Prowl Action using Paper UI
Have entered the following in service/prowl.cfg

prowl:apikey=09f280689e50d584129bb084cbddc399edf9a51c
prowl:defaultpriority=0
prowl:url=https://api.prowlapp.com/puplicapi/

Have created a simple rule in services/rules/test.rule
import org.openhab.core.library.types.*
import org.openhab.core.persistence.*
import org.openhab.model.script.actions.*

rule Test
when
Item TEST changed from OFF to ON
then
logInfo(“Test”, “My rule triggered this!”)
pushNotification(“09f280689e50d584129bb084cbddc399edf9a51c”, “test”, “The front gate has been open for minutes”,0)
end

The RULE works as shown in the log:
2017-09-25 00:18:15.969 [INFO ] [.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.Test] - My rule triggered this!
2017-09-25 00:18:18.037 [INFO ] [.openhab.action.prowl.internal.Prowl] -

BUT I do NOT get the notification.

Anyone have any ideas why?

Don’t know is this is still an issue.
Stumbled over following conversation. Might contain the solution…

Anyone?