PS Eye camera displaying video but no motion alert

It will be the motion software that is turning the usb into a stream, nothing wrong with doing that just the binding is used to having a RTSP stream as the main feed and not a MJPEG stream which is why the “-f mjpeg” options are needed. I have tested using a camera with snapshot and mjpeg urls only and from memory it worked pretty well but I do not test this setup for every release of the binding when a change is made. See the very last post in this thread as it seems you can get a snapshot url working as well and that will be preferred to have both supplied. If you search this forum you may find that there is a way to get motion notifications directly from the motion software. I have never tried the software so no idea what it is like and what is possible.

Motion - still image URL - Raspberry Pi Forums

Again thank you all for the assistance. I have implemented as recommended. The camera is streaming just fine, the snapshot works fine. The only thing that sill isn’t working is the motion alarm.
This is the section from the motion conf file that I think applies — and you will see where I have done some experimenting in there. Any suggestions as to what I need to change to get the motion to raise an event in OPENHAB? (or maybe this isn’t the place to adjust…)

############################################################

Motion detection configuration parameters

############################################################

Always save pictures and movies even if there was no motion.

emulate_motion off

Threshold for number of changed pixels that triggers motion.

threshold 1500
;threshold 25000

Noise threshold for the motion detection.

; noise_level 32

Despeckle the image using (E/e)rode or (D/d)ilate or (l)abel.

despeckle_filter EedDl

Number of images that must contain motion to trigger an event.

minimum_motion_frames 1

Gap in seconds of no motion detected that triggers the end of an event.

event_gap 60

The number of pre-captured (buffered) pictures from before motion.

pre_capture 3

Number of frames to capture after motion is no longer detected.

post_capture 5

Sorry I do not know the motion software at all. I prefer to just use a camera that has it built in.

Did you ever try getting the ffmpeg based motion alarm working from your camera that uses a mjpeg input? What ffmpeg command does the TRACE logs show is getting used to start the alarm if it does not work? As 99% of cameras use a h264 based RTSP stream the binding has been setup and tested to work in that scenario.

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I have tried using the ffmpeg based motion alarm to no avail…however I have not looked at the trace logs. I will work on that later today.

Again, thanks!

I checked the log, as suggested, and it does not show an alarm. It does however, note the recording of motion. Is there any way in OPENHAB that I can monitor for that and raise a motion alarm from that?
Thanks, in advance
PS – will be buying a ‘real’ camera soon, I’m just continuing to learn/experiment with this one

Would you share this log that you saw?