Python or other language REST API

Hi all,

I have been experimenting with the python REST API https://pypi.org/project/python-openhab/ and it seems to be working well for basic commands and what I want it to do.

I was just wondering if there was any useful info/tips anyone has gained from using the REST API through python that they would like to share? Possibly even if anyone has had a better experience using the REST API with a different language other than python?

Thanks

looks interesting, thanks for link

1 Like

If you want to use python you really should look into HABApp, too!
It provides a nice layer of abstraction, a scheduler and you can easily migrate existing python scripts to it.

1 Like

The REST API allows you to create rules for the new rule engine, but scripted automation offers much more than the REST API and the helper libraries for Python make writing rules easier that the rules DSL. This will also be the mainstream way to create automation, other than using the UI rule editor, in OH 3.0. It’s great that there are options, but the more people who use, document, and contribute to scripted automation, the better off we will be as a community.

1 Like