Python rule: possible to trigger by members of multiple groups?

I had intended to create such a script or modify one of the scripts that were already created which do it through the REST API but then Yannick put out the prototype for a UI tool to do it and I decided to help with that instead.

I do the same thing in the testing code for my countdown timer module I’ve submitted and indeed I learned how from the OWM script. It’s really handy and it’s why I originally was going to head down that path. But I think the UI tool will be more generally used so I want to help make that work as well as it can. This is a case where I’m willing to be patient rather than get something to work now.

I would expect it to work similar to Items. If you submit an Item with the same name, the Item is updated. The only way to update a Rule would be to delete and resubmit? Is that what the UIs do? I’m interested in this sort of thing as a way to deal with changing Group membership and Member of Rule triggers.

I do think it’s better. But it too is drawing the distinction between the two at a level that is largely invisible and not understood by the average user. It will take a paragraph or two of explanation in the docs to make it clear to the users when they are using which one and what that means. But I don’t have anything better to offer.

They are both plain English words instead of acronyms or some obscure Java governance ID which is a huge improvement. And with enough explanation even the average Joe user can understand the difference. Since I’ve nothing better I think we should go with it.

The question becomes when do we update the docs and start pushing the terms here on the forum?