Question on OH2 and Binding... Updates?

Hi, just would like to know … When an Binding gets updated…
Can I See that in PaperUi and update there?

Or must the runtime / build be updated to See updates in binding?

Very good question - I didn’t look into it myself yet. If you are using a snapshot online distro, it might actually be possible that all you need to do is to uninstall->install the binding (e.g. through the Paper UI). I am not sure, if this will pull the latest snapshot from the remote repo or if it will just continue to use the old one. Have a try and report back the result!

Was curious about this myself, so I did some experiments. What I learned lead to more questions :wink:

First, the directory listing:

-rw-rw-r--. 1      1381 Jan 18 08:57 maven-metadata-oh-snapshot-repo.xml
-rw-rw-r--. 1        40 Jan 18 08:57 maven-metadata-oh-snapshot-repo.xml.sha1
-rw-r--r--. 1   1220393 Jan 15 10:33 org.openhab.binding.zwave-1.9.0-20160115.021034-5.jar
-rw-r--r--. 1        40 Jan 15 10:33 org.openhab.binding.zwave-1.9.0-20160115.021034-5.jar.sha1
-rw-rw-r--. 1   1224656 Jan 18 08:57 org.openhab.binding.zwave-1.9.0-20160117.021016-6.jar
-rw-rw-r--. 1        40 Jan 18 08:57 org.openhab.binding.zwave-1.9.0-20160117.021016-6.jar.sha1
-rw-r--r--. 1   1224656 Jan 18 08:57 org.openhab.binding.zwave-1.9.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
-rw-r--r--. 1       389 Jan 18 11:10 resolver-status.properties

First I had only the 20160115 files. I then, without doing anything in paperUI, upgraded the runtime. When I restarted, the 20160117 files appeared. The maven-metadata-oh-snapshot-repo.xml file contains references to both snapshotVersions. I then removed and re-added the zwave binding, and nothing changed.

It appears to be grabbing the newest files from the repo at startup. What I don’t yet understand is if it should be cleaning up the previous version or not, or which jar is actually getting loaded. There may be an adjustment to be made in here.

You can do a

bundle:list -s |grep zwave

to see which version is installed and active.

178 | Active | 80 | 1.9.0.201601170211 | openHAB ZWave Binding

Looks like it loads the right one, so it is only a question of clean up.

Thanks for the help @Kai

Well, the folder above is a local maven repo - it is expected behaviour that nothing is removed from it.

I deinstalled
and reinstalled zwave binding

it pulls 1.8.0 again

If you restart openhab, do you get the new binding automatically?

no. tried that.

It must have been the update I did to the runtime then that pulled in the versions that were related to the runtime. This should work for the most part as it would be a fully versioned set built at the same time. Testing individual jars can still use the addon directory.

If it pulls 1.8.0, you are still using the b1 release version of the distro. In order to be on the bleeding edge and pull snapshot versions, you also need a snapshot version of the distro from here. This will pull you 1.9.0-SNAPSHOTs of openHAB 1 add-ons.

Yes. Got the latest build … That one pulled 1.9.0.

However 1.9.0 Zwave and latest habmin2 build still does result in Zwave binding problems.

See:

An identical issue has been opened already and I observe that issue.

An “Update-Distro:Snapshot” would be useful :wink:

Greetings

So, I’m reading this thread and wondering what I should conclude. Do I need to upgrade my installation to get the latest bindings? If so, how will this impact my installation? Will the channel id’s or nodes change? I’m interested in the zwave binding as there are apparently changes in support for the WallMote Dual, that may be of use. I’m running OH 2.2 and I see comments in the database that have been made after I upgraded to 2.2.
Thanks

1 Like

Most of the steps needed can be found here:

https://docs.openhab.org/tutorials/migration.html

Because you are already on openHAB2 you are familiar with the concepts of things, channels and linking those to items…

Be aware that you either need to upgrade your openHAB 2 to the recent snapshot version or fiddling around and upgrade a 2.2 stable build with a snapshot 2.3 binding.
Next decision to be made: do you want to avoid the next breaking change, then you need to upgrade to the development version of the zwave binding (which is different from the snapshot). As long as you stay on the stable build of the zwave binding your will not benefit from the latest database changes.

My choice is always: openHAB 2.3 snapshot and development version of the zwave binding.

Thanks for the reply. I think I’ll wait for the 2.3 release and see how it works.