Race condition: Rule activation vs. state value?

I am using OH 2.5, and have created a Dimmer item which is exposed to Google Assistant.

I have a rule which triggers when the new “bulb” receives a command. Within the rule I expect the state value of the Dimmer item to be 100 (= ON) when the rule is invoked due to an ON command. But when I use GA to command the bulb ON, I find at the beginning of the rule, the state value is still 0 (=OFF). But at the end of the rule, the state value is correct.

Here is some of the code in my rule:

rule "barlights command"
when
    Item barlights received command
then
    logInfo("barlights_cmd", "Got barlights command = %s".format(barlights))

// Misc operations unrelated to the barlight item (mostly sending MQTT messages to other devices)

logInfo("barlights_cmd", "End barlights command = %s".format(barlights))
end

This results many times (but not every time):

2021-02-08 22:28:49.351 [INFO ] [smarthome.model.script.barlights_cmd] - Got barlights command = barlights (Type=DimmerItem, State=0, Label=Bar Lights, Category=null)
2021-02-08 22:28:49.394 [INFO ] [smarthome.model.script.barlights_cmd] - End barlights command = barlights (Type=DimmerItem, State=100, Label=Bar Lights, Category=null)

So at the beginning of my rule execution, state isn’t correct; but by the end of the script it is correct.

I also have another rule for the same item which is for: Item barlights received command ON

When I print out state for that rule, it also has the same issue - incorrect at the beginning, but OK a short time later.

Is this expected behavoir?

Yes.

Yes this is normal. Its a pain but it is normal.

I suggest using implicit variable

Try

logInfo("barlights_cmd", "Got barlights command = %s".format(receivedCommand))