Rachio Smart Sprinkler Controller

I believe there will be a text based format that is not JSONDB. But it likely will use a radically different syntax. YAML I believe is the top contender.

Interesting. Home Assistant uses this format as well as far as I know,

Hello,

Finally I’m done. It works now from text files. Here is the thing file:

I can share the item file as well, if necessary. Plus I created rules for turning on/off zones with Zwave Fibaro Keyfob. I had Orbit controller with Remote switch and this Keyfob solution was me a must. Thanks for the binding again!

congrat. yep, if you post the thing definition and maybe a sitemap I‘ll include it in the README

I just got got a Rachio Version 3 and have set it up and can control it through their app. Now my next step is to setup the unit in Openhab. I go to the AddOns, see the Rachio Sprinkler Controller Binding. I click on Install and immediately get an error that it can not be installed.
I don’t see anything in openhab.log, but I see this line in events.log:
2019-06-09 18:11:48.173 [thome.event.ExtensionEvent] - market:binding-4085090: Bundle cannot be installed: Error occurred installing a bundle.

Any thoughts or next steps?

Hi @heyandy, welcome to this forum.

Where did you get the binding? I’m not sure if the market place is still working properly with OH, because the core team is working on kicking out ESH.
Which OH version are you running?

This is the latest build:
https://github.com/markus7017/org.openhab.binding.rachio/blob/2.5.0pre1/target/org.openhab.binding.rachio-2.3.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

Please let me know if that works.

The binding just shows because I have the market add-on installed. I have downloaded the jar file you provided and after seeing how to put the initial things file in with my apices, it appears all is working. Thank you for your help and work!

enjoy :+1:

Actually, well I wanted to try and get Rachio add-on more in line with my other adding, so I decided to deleted the Rachio.things configuration… Instead like my other add-ons I wanted to just have the config in my services directory, so added the config file that just has these two lines:
apikey=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
pollingInterval=120

(Obviously with my real API-Key in places of the x’s.)

But now nothing shows up.

Do I really need the .things file?

you need the .things to specify the cloud thing/api-key then the binding will auto discover the devices

you should be able to manually add the cloud device in PaperUi and enter the api key

I am a new user to openHAB2. When I look for the Rachio binding using add-ones in Paper UI I do not see it. Do I need to install it a different way?

Thank you,

Tom

Currently it is not part of the build. Look for the jar file and copy it to your addon folder. Than it will work.

Super tnx

please follow the instructions in the README to

• manually add the bridge thing in PaperUI or
  • define the bridge thing in a .things file
1 Like

Does the latest build of this Binding work with OpenHAB 2.4 (the latest) release version?
Also does it work with the Rachio 3 controller?

yes and yes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! My plan was to buy a weather station (like the Davis Vantage Vue) and use that to determine how much to water each zone (based on the rainfall volume of the previous week). Can you set the time of each zone using OpenHAB rules?

yes

• Rachio could intelligently adapt your watering schedule to seasonal requirements and weather forecast
  • Using the App you could setup the basic settings incl. watering time per zone and schedules
  • The binding supports start/stop zones and you could use OH rules to implement your own controller
  • you’ll also get events on start/stop of schedules or zone actions

The only thing I couldn’t get working is to receive the events for the weather adaption and watering budget. Rachio 3 is supported, but not the flowmeter (nobody asked for and I don’t have one to test).

Migrating the binding to 2.5 is on the list, but with low priority, because the current version is working fine on 2.3, 2.4 (I’m running on 2.4) and should also work on 2.5 (not yet verified).
Please read the setup instructions (README.md), it’s will guide you through the setup.

One note: You could/should add the cloud thing uisng PaperUI->Inbox->+ rather than creating a .things file. This is more convenient.

1 Like

@PrestigeWorldwide, @Bruce_Osborne

The download could be found here: https://github.com/markus7017/org.openhab.binding.rachio/blob/2.5.0pre1/target/org.openhab.binding.rachio-2.3.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

Start with adding the could thing to PaperUI, the api key has to be obtained from your Rachio account. One the thing is connected it will auto discover all controller and zones (unless they are disabled by the App). See README.md for details

Thanks for info @markus7017 . I should be able to handle it once the binding is installed, but what do I do after I download the JAR file? I don’t know how to install a binding manually. Thanks!