Radio Thermostat CT101 Question

As the original question asker I have been copied on the responses. My question in Post #1 was whether the Debug “unknown command class 01” that I accidently stumbled on was cause for concern and the discussion veered off the rails from there.

I bought these for much the same reasons as @jschmidt and my non-z-wave programmable thermostat had died. I liked the cost, Zwave functionality, that they could be powered from the HVAC (with battery as a backup) and were programable using OpenHAB rules. Also without Z-wave they can be programmed just like my old thermostat, so are not dependent on OpenHAB. I didn’t care about the humidity sensor or even know about it until later.

I think the answer to my original question can be derived from the last post by @sphillips containing the comment “…compliant except for humidity sensor data” is “No cause for concern”. These devices have worked well for me in both winter and summer at controlling temperature (and as I updated OpenHAB over the last 7 months- currently on 2.5.5).

However, as a tinkerer, but with very limited programming skills I would like to try your patch, but need some clarification. I downloaded the zip file from git hub and extracted it into a folder with files and more folders. Do I put all this in the OpenHAB addons folder? The other files in my addons folder are .jar files, but I don’t know how to get from what I have to .jar. Also do I need to uninstall Zwave in paperUI before I add this patched version in the addons? Hope this makes sense and thanks for your efforts.
Bob

Here were my notes on patching the system, my apologies if anything is left out, hopefully they might help you:

Install Oracle Java 8 JDK

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer

Install Maven

sudo apt-get install maven

Install git

sudo apt install git

Install eclipse environment for openhab in a development machine
(eclipse is optional, no instructions to install, look it up)

git clone GitHub - openhab/org.openhab.binding.zwave: openHAB binding for Z-Wave

(make changes)

mvn clean install (from base of project)

scp to production
copy to /usr/share/openhab2/addons
Remove the existing zwave plugin
Restart openhab
The system will automagically load the new plugin at that point

Perhaps you could make a PR on GitHub so others could benefit in the future. Otherwise if the binding is rewritten according tompublishednZ-Wave specifications instead of the current reverse engineered binding, things could break again.

I know Chris has been very busy at work lately. I know I moved from Home Assistant primarily because many of my US devices were not supported without me patching the binding every update. OH supported my devices and Chris helped me through my migration issues.

I’m pretty limited in java/Linux skills so I thought I would try your patch as a shortcut to the process above since you already made the java changes to getting the humidity reading to work on the CT101. Piecing together various threads on creating an executable jar I did this:.

sudo git clone GitHub - marcusb/org.openhab.binding.zwave
jar cf org.openhab.binding.zwave.jar org.openhab.binding.zwave
sudo chmod +x org.openhab.binding.zwave.jar

However after deleting the binding from Paper UI and placing the above .jar in the addons, and restarting Openhab it did not work. I could send the full error file, but I’m thinking I did not create the jar file correctly rather than there is any issue with your file. (I did attach a snippet of the error log, in case that helps)

2020-06-27 10:41:43.967 [ERROR] [org.openhab.core.thing ] - bundle org.openhab.core.thing:2.5.0 (185)[org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.internal.ThingManagerImpl(155)] : The addThingHandlerFactory method has thrown an exception
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/openhab/binding/zwave/ZWaveBindingConstants

any ideas?
Bob

So I finally faced my fears about editing a java file buried deep in the zwave hierarchy (using VSC) and after a few stumbles of my own lack of knowledge, followed your instructions (mostly) and the edits from Marcus Better and have a working CT101 humidity monitor on 2.5.6-2. It wasn’t quite as daunting as I thought. Thanks. I marked as solution.

Bob

1 Like