Raspberry Pi 4 released

After I installed the USB3 host adapter firmware update, the temperature of my Pi 4 has gone down significantly.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=243500&p=1490467&hilit=vl805#p1490467

Definitely recommended.

I’ll give this a go and see. :slight_smile:

Hello everybody,

i changed my Pi3b for a Pi4 with Geekworm X825 and Case today and it works like a charm.

I just have:

• backup my system
  • install a fresh system on the Pi4, with same passwords
  • copy root to USB / SDD
  • restore backup for openhab, influxDB and grafana

I only have a problem with the Aeotec Z-Wave Stick, but I can regulate it with a 2.0 HUB tomorrow.

A good decision

Do all the plugins work as intended?

Are u booting from sad?

Yes, only the aeotec z-stick gen5 has a problem (known) that it is recognized as a USB 3.0 device. However, only USB 2.0 is supported by the stick. By a USB2.0 HUB you can regulate the topic but

I use a Geekworm X825 to integrate the SSD, but the micro SD card is still needed for the boot process,

Just out of curiosity, do you notice performance improvemends ? If so in what ways ?

No one really tells if there is a ‘big’ difference between the rpi3 and rpi4.

Thanks

Any Pi 2 or later provides way sufficient performance to run OH, so no, you could measure but you do hardly notice any improvements, and if so they’re not of relevance. Sufficient is sufficient.

It feels faster, so the pi4 feels faster when you swap pages in the Paper Ui or Habpanel.

According to grafana, the CPU has less to do.

I agree with this.
Yes, the 3 was sufficient but this just seems better. :slight_smile:

Sorry to jump in as moderator, but this is another useless XY problem question that we dislike to see here: why do you want to know?
Either you have no HW so far then it’s easy: go buy a 4. Or you have some older HW then it’s easy, too: stay with it.

does that firmware also fix anything w.r.t. USB issues as seen e.g. with the Aeotec Z stick? or is there still a need to insert an USB hub?

This thread, I think, is just open conversation?

Someone asked what is a pretty decent question “is there a performance improvement” - it’s a free chat.

A forum needs to have a “friendly” feel to it where people can ask a question and not get flamed for it.
The balancing act is trying to point out that you need more info to help someone and just pointing them to a “rant” on how to ask a better question.

To pull the I’m a mod line is interesting when viewed against the balance idea above.

1 Like

No in my understanding this one is not so I’d prefer if you open another thread with a ‘misc’ or ‘off-topic’ tag or similar for that. Sorry if that came across as unfriendly, but jumping into someone’s thread and posting XY questions isn’t in line with the community guidelines. I understand your pov, too, but I don’t see this thread to be of open conversational only nature.

Well as a moderator I’m trying to keep threads on topic, streamlined and efficient so we all have to dig through less posts we’re ultimately not interested in.
Yeah, sometimes that’s very difficult to balance and also make that come across as not unfriendly.
Sorry if I did. I promise to keep working on that.

True - this is a challenge. I run a busy forum too and this is something that, tbh, I gave up on. The Mark-as-solution is a fantastic thing and lets people sift through the noise quickly.
People will also land via a search engine or, like a lot of us, just lurk and follow the threads.

A challenge that this type of forum has is the newcomers entering into what is not a simple world; it needs to cater for both users from both ends of the spectrum.

Banter is what makes the community; Factual information makes a wiki. :smiley:

I still think this is a great suite written and all-aspects maintained by a great bunch of people! Thank you.

At the Moment you need a HUB.

I can not say if a firmware in the future fixes this "error

Some updates to the pi4.

• you can overclock your pi. I have one running at 2.147GHz with no heat issues (I have a heatsink) Link
  • you can now boot from USB! Link

I’ll be trying the USB boot tomorrow :slight_smile:

Edit: reading the comments it seems the USB boot is almost certainly fake… :frowning:

Good news about the heating !
And now that pxe boot is done, they we’ll work on USB boot as promised… let’s hope it won’t take long.
Thanks for sharing!

I think the article is a bit of smoke and mirrors now that I’ve reread it. :frowning:

What does work, as I have a pi running, is the firmware update and over clocking. Not that OH needs it. :slight_smile:

I can argue with this. If you run only openHAB on an older Raspberry it might be enough. However in a lot of cases you need to run additional things for your home automation. Like I need to run a servlet for my Alarm System, Node-RED to work with HomeKit, Docker containers for other home automation things (like TasmoAdmin), etc… If this is the case, I think the 1GB RAM is not enough. I had lot of troubles with freezing up RPis randomly (but not completely just for a few - 20-30 minutes) and it seems that it caused by that the RAM was not enough.