Raspberry pi Error on start.sh : Address already in use

Hi there,
Ive installed OH 1.7.1. on ,my raspberry pi 2+ running raspbian and it is running well. I am currently using the start.sh command to start the system as I am in development stage and need to see the event bus for trouble shooting.

I have an issue when i update the openhab configuration file and need to restart the server. I do this by closing the terminal window that start.sh created and running start.sh again. When i restart I get an error on restart like “Address already in use” i can see it referring to 0.0.0.0:8080. It looks as if closing the terminal window hasn’t killed the server properly. And actually i can still access the server. (I used this method on my Mac with out any issues). So i have two questions

1. Is there a different way to kill the server so it exits cleanly and will restart without the error?
  2. if i start the openhab server at rpi boot no eventbus window is visible, is there an easy way to make it visibe without restarting the server?

If you installed via apt-get, then you can stop and start the server using

sudo /etc/init.d/openhab stop
sudo /etc/init.d/openhab start

This is usually better for running a server than to run as a process that’s tied to you being logged in.

You can see update events by tailing events.log

tail -f /var/log/openhab/events.log

unless you suppressed this log in the file /etc/openhab/logback.xml.

Thanks Watou,

I had used the apt-get procedure to start with but i couldn’t see the event bus. So i started again with a wget on the bintray repo. Looks like best thing to do is go back to the apt-get load and use the tail command.

Ill give it a go over the weekend.

Thanks for you quick response

James

With your current configuration, if you would like… Instead of closing the terminal, hit control-c in the window, and wait for OpenHAB to shutdown, returning you to the shell prompt. Alternately, you can also type in “exit” at the OSGi prompt. Either one should return you to the shell prompt so that you know Java is shut down cleanly.

Correct, I think. Other suggestions overkill, especially when you are in “Development Stage”.