Raspberry pi3 controling HUE lights with HUE hub

Hi everyone, just bought my first Raspberry pi3 and installed openHAB 2.0 to control my home. I do not have any sensors yet just philips hue lights with philips hue. I am planning to buy Z wave usb stick; however, I just realized that philips hue uses zigbee protocol and not Z wave protocol. Would I be able to control my philips hue lights when I just buy Z wave stick to my Raspberry? As I mentioned I have philips hue hub as well.

Thank you very much for any help. :slight_smile:
Frenky

Hi Frenky,

I do not have any experience with Hue lights (not yet, I do have a plan though), but as far as I understood, you do not need to buy any additional hardware, you can get it to work right now with your Pi3 and Hue bridge. See the description of the Hue binding, http://docs.openhab.org/addons/bindings/hue/readme.html.

You will only need to buy a Z-wave stick if you also want to buy Z-Wave things (sensors, switches, etc)/

I have Philips Hue lights. The Hue hub uses wifi so you donโ€™t need anything else to control it from a RPi 3.

@Frenky just install the HUE binding and you can control the Hue lights without any additional Hardware (assuming you have the hue bridge from a starter kit and not only a set with light and hue dimmer) :wink:

Thank you very much guys, finally I got it work. :slight_smile: