Raspi 2: Move system root to usb-SSD

Which Rpi are you using?
Rpi3b+ can boot directly, without sd card. Rpi3b needs to be configured for booting. Search google.

I have an RPI 3b.
I used the sudo openhabian-config to move to my ssd drive.
Now I am not sure if changing the

echo program_usb_boot_mode=1 | sudo tee -a /boot/config.txt

will be suficcient. It says this action is not reversible.

Furthermore it says:

ā€¦copy the Raspbian system to a USB mass storage device by copying the operating system image directly onto your USB deviceā€¦

I dont know what the sudo openhabian-config has done and what commands it executed.

thanks for Your help

Trigan :slight_smile:

IĀ“m not sure what will happen, when you already have move boot to you sdd from openhabian-config. It isnĀ“t a ā€œrealā€ boot.

But in order to boot without the SD card, youĀ“ll need to add the echo command. And yes, itĀ“s not reversible, as it writes directly to the ROM on the Rpi.

I think (IĀ“m not sure) that moving boot to sdd from openhabin-config is just making a link to the usb drive. Thats why you still need the SD card. The link is on the SD card, I think.

I think youĀ“ll need to reverse the moving, (if itĀ“s possible), and run on plain SD card.
After that, make a image copy (backup) of your SD card, and copy the image file to your SSD. (YouĀ“ll still have the SD card as backup if anything goes wrong).

When you have done the echo command, then you should be able to boot from your SSD/USB.

Btw - it shouldnĀ“t harm anything to do the echo command at any time. You can still boot from the SD card or USB if you like as far as I understand.

Others with better linux and openhabian knowledge should comment on this.