RASPI 3b+ and below will not work out of the box with openhab3

I tried to setup openhabian and openhab on a Raspberry Pi Model B Plus Rev 1.2, Bullseye 32bit, and ran into some issues.

The main one was that openJDK 11 comes up with “Server VM is only supported on ARMv7+ VFP”. and will not install nor work properly, since the raspi models 3 and below have ARMv6 CPUs. So openhabian fails on these raspis… I’d say beyond repair.

Tthis should be mentioned in the openhab and openhabian download pages.

I got openhab3 to run with a fresh raspi bullseye 32bit installation, using the Zulu JDK.Which also didnt install from the apt procedure as recommended by Zulu, I had to download and install the according .deb-package manually. At least openhab did - after a long delay - run as expected. A very long delay. And performance was not so bad.

Well, what shall I say. Java at its finest. Also package maintaining. Should use lscpu to detect that the installation makes no sense because the system does not meet the requirements instead of installing and bummer. So just wanted to drop this notice, maybe it helps others to avoid wasted time.

It isn’t clear what you are trying to say. Did you install openHAB on a system running Bullseye OR did you install openhabian on a system ? The later would contain the OS AND openHAB (amongst others) and DOES WORK on a Raspi 3B “out of the box” ( at least for me and according the non-existent reports on this forum for many others).

Well, I first tried to get openhabian running. What failed, because jdk11 is used in the automated openhabian setup procedure. Then I flashed a fresh raspi bullseye, set it up and installed openhab manually, using the zulu jdk.

I doubt that the lack of feedback currently means anything, I guess due to market situation there wont be much fresh installs on raspi3’s. Most if not all users who install a fresh openhabian will do it on a raspi4,

The issue is also reported on Java for ARMv6/7/8 - Pi4J

In the title you claim it wouldn’t work on Raspis <= 3.
That’s plain wrong. RPi 2 and 3 have ARMv7 or v8 and openHABian works with them, there’s many active installations. Only RPi1 and Pi Zeros have ARMv6.
And if you had read the README (like anyone is expected to at the very least before installing anything) you would have known openHABian is unsupported on these.
So like @opus already asked, what are you trying to tell ?

Hmm. Ok, then sorry for the inconvenience for me being unfamiliar with the RPI models.

To be fair (and especially to @ut22 ) the CURRENT documentation, as of 1/16/2023, for OpenHABian states:

" Hardware support

As of openHABian version 1.6 and later, all Raspberry Pi models are supported as hardware. Anything x86 based may work or not. Anything else ARM based such as ODroids, OrangePis and the like may work or not. NAS servers such as QNAP and Synology boxes will not work. Support for PINEA64 was dropped."

If you start with the OpenHABian documentation, and click the link for " Raspberry Pi prepackaged SD card image" and then click where it states " Make sure you meet the hardware prerequisites first"…that documentation article states several times that RPi 2/3/4 is strongly recommended but all RPi’s are supported with OpenHABian. While this may be technically true, it is a logical conclusion that the article found under pre-configured RPi SD card images is stating the image file will work on all RPi hardware, but best on 2/3/4.

At the very least, it is misleading to discuss that all RPi hardware is supported on a page that is linked from the openhabian SD card image install procedure. RPi 1, zeros, and anything on ARMv6 is going to fail a fresh install attempt due to incompatibility with openJDK11.

In sum, if you’re going to hit people over the head with “read the documentation first” you should also ensure it is accurate, clearly written, and not misleading.

Post Script:
@ut22 I had multiple RPi Zero, Zero W, and Rpi 1 (B+), running openHABian instances. When the cards failed I just swapped them out with fresh cards, fresh installs, and copied my configs over. OpenHABian with OpenHAB3 would just not install with the unattended script. Took me more hours than I care to admit to figure out the problem was java (should have guessed, lol)

I just noticed at the top of this post " This is the first time ut22 has posted — let’s welcome them to our community!"

Wow, what a welcome! ‘You are just plain wrong. Read the documentation’ :laughing:

Seriously though, the openhab project has spent an incredible amount of time making this software as easy as possible for beginners, but at the end of the day it is a very complicated collection of various software that does not always mesh together. Lots of troubleshooting is going to be a reality. I think that makes the community even more important and we should try really hard not to discourage newcomers. (just my two cents!!)

:slight_smile: Yep, RTFM. But as always, afterwards all trenches are full of wisdom. When taking an old thing out of the drawer dont believe the what the 3d printed box says about the board inside.

As it turned out, it doesnt make so much sense to run a full blown openHab on a raspi1 that is shy on all resources. Also for just a few switches it is a bit overkill. I now use moquitto to control them and fauxmo as interface for the echo dot. (I’d consider to update to a raspi4 but prices are ridiculous atm)

As said, sorry for the stupid title. I’m grateful for all the work, people putting in projects like openHab. Though the easiest possible way I could thing of would be that the install script runs an lscpu and makes a prominent banner saying nej, with armhf you are out of luck. I can understand such things. And if the announcement is “as easy as possible for beginners”, a simple lscpu should not be such a problem.

Now as you’re so much into nit-picking on wording, you should watch your own first.
That’s not a correct quote and very unfair to me (who is the guy that did openHABian and the docs).
I was just referring to the facts. You now make it sound as if I adressed the person which I didn’t.
And very strange to come up with that as your 1st post in 5yrs, at the very least.

Well. If you also wanted to be fair and precise with me as well, even if you accounted for the fact that “supported” does not have the same meaning as “it works”, the docs aren’t wrong or misleading, it’s merely your interpretation and expectation to end up with a working system on non-recommended HW.
But even if the default install currently may not lead to a working installation on RPi 0/1 - BTW I was not aware of that - due to issues with openJDK11 (the Java it installs by default), that still does not mean openHABian does not support that HW. openHABian is the OS, not the name of the combined appliance. openHABian allows for installing different JREs. It boots and even runs without any Java, you can roll your own on top at any time.

End-to-end “it works” is an ever-changing target anyway.
Full install depends on a large number of prerequisite packages that we cannot track all the compatibility cross matrix on, Java just being one of them.
Which makes it impossible to reflect the current state in the docs.

Or maintainers - my $.02.