Razberry not online since 2.5

Hi All,

Since I installed 2.5 stable my razberry (z-wave controller) is offline. Before 2.5 the configuration page of the controller showed both ttyS0 and ttyAMA0. Running Openhabian on a RPI 2b I had the experience that when I chose ttyAMA0 the controller did not came online. When I chose ttyS0 the razberry controller came online.

However since 2.5 I am not able to create a ttyS0 with the openhabian config tools. I therefore have ttyAMA0 as the only option, which, like before, does not bring the razberry online.

==> /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log <==
2019-12-28 21:42:35.221 [INFO ] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Connecting to serial port ‘/dev/ttyAMA0’

==> /var/log/openhab2/events.log <==
2019-12-28 21:42:35.223 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:serial_zstick:9b70d73f’ changed from INITIALIZING to OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE): Controller is offline

I did several fresh installs both on an RPI 2b and a RPI 4b 4Gb, with and without my conf-files. The most recent is a complete fresh install, installes the z-wave binding, made the serial ports available in openhabian-config and did a reboot.Only the ttyAMA0 was visible and did not bring the razberry online.

I read every post with respect to razberry and serial ports. Most are related to much older versions of openhabian and openHAB; others require editing of critical Linux and openHAB files which I am reluctant to do as I don’t know the impact of the edits.

I read some other posts with issues in 2.5 with the serial (USB) port(s) and z-wave. So I am not sure what the best option is:

• tweaking the files like some of the posts suggest
  • moving from razberry to a USB z-wave stick (e.g. AEON)
  • downgrading to 2.4 and installing only the 2.5 bindings that I need (iCloud).

Any advice would be great. Are there users that have the AEON (or better: the razberry) up and running with openHAB 2.5 and if so, what serial port do you use?

Is it possible to install 2.4? Where can I find the older versions of openHAB / openhabian?

And of course there is always the possibility that the razberry broke somehow. That could be the conclusion if other users have this configuration up and running. Although during startup the razberry leds light up…

I hope for some advice of my options and next steps.

This may not apply to you, but when I set up my MySensors gateway (also USB) I configured something such that whenever the system re-booted it would recognize the hardware and give it the same, reliable tty number (I think 99, if I recall correctly).

Also make sure the permissions are there for tty, forget what they are called now as it’s been a while since I did this. I seem to recall finding everything I needed in the instructions though.

Even if i can’t help with solving the problem, I can say that i dont have any problems with razberry in OH 2.5. So there must be a solution. My first guess would also be the permissions.

Usually the easiest way to get the permissions correct is to use OpenHABian to install OH.

The good news I read in your reply is that razberry is working in OH2.5. So my problems could indicate a malfunction of the razberry. I am using Openhabian and do all the settings (@Bruce_Osborne: incl. fix permissions) through openhabian-config. My experience so far is that this is a fool proof way of setting up OH. Previous issues always turned out to be configuration details. But now I tried so many possible configurations that the only feasible option is that my Razberry broke down.
I will try another z-wave controller.

Thanks for the replies. I will close the topic for now.

Edit: I installed a Aeon z-wave stick and now have z-wave working in 2.5: it was indeed a broken razberry (served me well a couple of years).

1 Like