Razberry setup with openhub

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: _Rasp
      Hello I am Pretty new on both linux and openhub. I have used domotic before but wanted to try openhab.
      so today i installed openhabian on a sd card and got it up and running on the RPi. But i can´t seam to get the raspian z-wave board to work. i have tried http://docs.openhab.org/installation/linux.html#mounting-locally this with out succes all i get in habmin i can add the board but i get zwave.thingstate.Serial_notfound. and i can´t seam to find any solution on this problem anybody that had have the same problem

As stated in the Zwave Binding README

Before the binding can be used, a serial adapter must be added. This needs to be done manually. Select Serial ZStick, and enter the serial port.

So go to Things in PaperUI, press the blue + button, select Z-Wave Binding and enter the proper information for your controller. On a RPi the controller will usually be at /dev/ttyAMA0 unless you have other USB devices plugged in.

Hello thanks for answering did this but gets that it is offline zwave. The only thing I have plugged in to the RPi is internet power and the razberry card on to pp

It says communication error

I have similar setup and have installed the zwave.me Software through

wget -q -O - razberry.z-wave.me/install | sudo bash and then configured my Z-Wave items on http://your-raspi-ip:8083. In the Razberry-Portal you need to install the OpenHab-Addon which passes the Z-Wave-Devices over to Openhab.
In OpenHab you need the Z-Way Binding (Z-Way not Z-Wave), enter your Razberry-Crendentials and then your Z-Wave-Devices will show up in OpenHabs Inbox.
I don’t know whether OpenHab can talk directly to the Razberry-Board, I think this only works with Z-Wave USB-Sticks.

Cheers, Elwood

Openhab2 directly talks to zwave boards and usb sticks.

After installing openhabian there is a menu that you can start. From the commandline use the following command:

sudo openhabian-config

then select option 30 | System Settings.

In this menu select 35 | Serial Port

In the next dialog select all the options en press OK.

Then exit out back to the commandline and reboot your pi.

Then after reboot you should be able to select the correct tty port when configuring the razberry zwave board.

2 Likes

I had zwave.me in between too when I started using OpenHAB. It is, however, an extra layer of dependency, which should not be there IMHO.

When you follow the instruction in openhabianpi things should work out fine.

Thank you for the clarification - as I am still quite a rookie with Openhab I wasn’t aware of that possibility and I totally agree with you that the extra layer should be eliminated.

Dumb question but i can´t seam to select them. how do i do that. i have managed before but not now :wink:

never mind found it! Spacebar!

That Worked! THanks ROB!

Happy OpenHAB’ing :slight_smile:

I know this is resurrecting an old thread but was wondering how it is possible to backup the Z-wave devices within openHAB. With Z-wave.me they are backed up off site so if I have a hardware failure of the Razberry board then I can restore easily. How’s this best done in openHAB. Via z-wave.me or within openHAB ?
My system is going to be running a lot of critical hardware and I want to be able to restore easily from any failure
Thanks
Tim

openHAB does not support backing up the controller. So most users use external software to backup their controller. I know that Aeon provides some software (Windows only) to perform backups. I think OpenZwave will let you backup your controller too. I have so few devices (< 20) that I just run at risk.

So if I have a system failure of the Raspberry Pi and Razberry hat then I have to get a new Rasberry and Razberry hat and go around including everything from scratch again, including all of switches embedded behind light fittings in the wall etc? That does not sound very robust to me for a whole house automation system that may have to last 25 years or more ! I’m somewhat shocked !

Then let me say, it doesn’t support backups yet. I know it is one of the things on the list Chris has to implement. And as I said, there are a number of third party tools you can use to backup the controller.

Ok. Thanks Rich. I think that a backup system that allows the whole setup to be restored hassle free on to a new set of hardware is very important for a whole house automation system. And it needs to be fairly simple such that if the house is ever sold on new owners can maintain the system even if they don’t have the skills to modify it. If not you stand the risk of making the house almost unsaleable as potential buyers are put off by the system involved. Especially with a system like this one where there will be very few professionals who will be able to help.