Reboot not possible

Hi,

after fresh OH3 installation a reboot is of the raspberry isn’t possible anymore, it seems closing the connection but is not rebooting the system (still powered). Need to unplug/plug the raspberry from power to be able to reboot. Do I missed something during installation procedure?

**[07:22:50]** **openhabian@openHABianDevice**:**~**$ sudo shutdown -r now
Connection to 192.168.178.199 closed by remote host.
Connection to 192.168.178.199 closed.
reka@Renes-iMac ~ % ssh openhabian@192.168.178.199
ssh: connect to host 192.168.178.199 port 22: Connection refused
1 Like

How long did you wait? What Raspberry Pi are you using? How did you install OH3 - looks like openhabian?

If you’re running off an SD card be careful with this method, as it may lead to data corruption.

You may need to wait some time for a restart to finish. Do you know for certain that it didn’t restart, but that it’s just taking time for all the processes to start back up (hence not being able to SSH in yet)?

RPi4 with an SSD, no Sd Card.
You can wait forever… no change even not after 5min

I’m on a 3B+, so not as powerful as yours, but it can take some time to restart, especially the first few restarts. Perhaps wait 15-30 minutes? 5 minutes isn’t that long for a Pi, in my experience.

Not very useful, I know, but I suspect that restart is working, but just slowly.

solved. It really took long… need to get more patient

Actually I experienced the same thing, after giving the command the PI shuts down, but won’t power up again.
I am on a RPI4 4GB with OH3 and openhabian 1.6.1 with SD.
The red led keeps on, but the green one is dark.

After approx. 5 min by patients was gone and pulled the plug (not much configuration on it yet). Second time same issue, afterwards just stopped rebooting. :sweat_smile:

But good to hear to just wait longer :+1:

Hi, have the same problem with the reboot also with fresh installation of Openhabian. I wayt longer then 5 minutes and the system is not coming up again. Only a pull and plug the power helps.

If any of you think this is likely to be an actual bug with openhabian, please file an issue:

Please only file bugs when you can provide debug level logs that actually show it is a bug.
Complaints “it takes too long on my box” are useless, noone would know how to diagnose that so there’s nothing anyone can do about it.

Most of the time it is perfectly normal behavior and not a bug. There is a lot of data that needs to be synced to disk, in particular after installation activities.
If you don’t believe you can systemctl stop zram-config.service to see how long that all by itself takes, then reboot to see how fast it is when there’s no need to sync data left.

Hi, with my Main Openhab RasPi 4 (2.5.10) I have no Problems with rebooting, with the Openhabian 1.6.2 and Openhab 3 my second PasPi 4 will freeze by rebooting. “systemctl stop zram-config.service” take a very long time… however by rebooting I can wait hours… :frowning:
With Openhab 3 in my Main RasPi, reboot also not work. I have try update from Openhab 2.5.10 und clean install Openhab 3, both will not reboot…

That’s barely “the same problem” as the OP.
Rebooting works on an openHABian Pi, and it’s perfectly normal that it can take a couple of minutes because it needs to sync data.
If for you it apparently does not then you probably have a hardware problem (SD card starting to fail ?) or you changed something about the system that makes it fail to.

I can confirm the rebooting works, just takes some time.
Rpi4, 4gb on SD card. OH3 and openhabian 1.6.1

Hi again, i flash a new SD Card and do no restore of my backup from my previous system. Now the RasPi will reboot. I think there is something in my old Sytem that caused problems wit the new Openhab.

Installed OH3 on the SD card, restarting $ sudo reboot does not work.
sudo openhabian-config doesn’t work either
What am I doing wrong ?
After typing
sudo openhabian-config

[18:32:43] openhabian@openHABianDevice:~$ sudo openhabian-config
[sudo] password for openhabian:
openhabian is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

Could it be that the long reboot times are due to the issue that the first-boot.bash script does not really complete and some clean ups are left out? (first-boot.bash always fails · Issue #1315 · openhab/openhabian · GitHub)

I’ve been experiencing long reboot times as well (> 10 minutes). But since reinstalling and fixing the first-boot.bash before the initial boot seems to have resolved my issue and I’m able to reboot in less than a minute.

Just an idea.

Very unlikely. And that issue is fixed.

Sure, but running a RP4 4GB with SSD (like in my case) and a fresh installed OH3 even the sync can’t take that loooong - …7-8min (and its not comparable to OH2.5x where it looks less than a minute). RogerG007 explanation doesn’t sounds so weird to me… lets see if OH3.0.x will fix it.

It isn’t OH to hang so whatever next OH will not affect that.

The ZRAM issue is fixed but to obtain the fix if you’re affected you need to uninstall and reinstall ZRAM from the openhabian-config menu.

2 Likes