Recommendation: easy integratable wallboxes for openHAB

1. running evcc on the same RasPi as openHAB works. If you have a spare one/Docker, it doesn’t hurt unbundling both, but evcc doesn’t need much ressources (as of now! :wink: ).
  2. Having automated phase-switching works. But if you’re relying on a 4kWp PV for excess, you won’t get 3-phases automated at all! :wink:
    except: configuring evcc so, that it uses residualPower for its excess calculations :wink:
  3. Warp2 is a baby of “Tinkerforge”. They’ll always find a way. Perhaps not necessarily within the Wallbox itself - but they can easily integrate new hardware. of course that’s also the case for openWB, but AFAIK for no other “off-the-shelf” wallbox, as they built an closed ecosystem - sometimes with an open API.
  4. go to WARP Charger - Tinkerunity (e.g. Mit WARP Charger ins Netz einspeisen? - WARP Charger - Tinkerunity sorry, german only), there’s some information on meters for Warp - you can also ask there, if somethings unclear.

My 2 cents: openWB was on my list also, but I went with Warp2, because I’m unsure about the reliabiltiy of the RasPi in the Wallbox. and their API needs some steep learning curve, so I went with Warp2 :wink:

Can I ask you how your solution with evcc looks like? I am curious. Are you using generic devices in evcc and pushing data via MQTT from openHAB to your evcc instance?

At the moment evcc is not an option for me because my inverter (modbus TCP) and the smart meter (optical probe) is directly connected to openHAB. I receive all the data from the devices and can “work” with it. For example switching “SG ready” contacts of the heat pump. Also I have all the persistence data in influxdb and can use this in rules for example.

Now If I want to use evcc, I have to connect the devices directly to evcc. So I will lose a lot of data, freedom and possibilities. So the only way for me would be to integrate evcc with mqtt and generic devices…

Yes, I’m not even using openHAB for getting my inverter modbus information or from my EV.
I’m using Node-Red for this and send the values via MQTT. So I can get simultaneous these information to all my consumers: openHAB, evcc, influx, …

No, you don’t. Just use either MQTT-topics for that or let evcc ask openHAB REST for the values.

1 Like

Hello, which model of go e-charge you have? Reading the pv from fotovoltaic which is the best rule?

Hi,
I have the V2 go-e without Phase switch. For PV charging, I use 1 Phase adapter cable and a very simple rule as if PV- Power over 1,6kW start charging with 6A, check each 15Min PV-power and adapt charging current. If PV-Power less than 1,4kW or Heatpump is starting, charging will stoped
For my use case the simplest solution.
For other use cases also evcc or other solutions could be much better.

1 Like

So, here is some update from my side. I finally decided to get a OpenWB Pro. Got it installed and working. Unfortunately, while it does promise to support V2G/V2H in the future, it doesn’t have any ‘regular’ OpenWB software running, something I had missed reading out on. Nevertheless, the tip about EVCC was great, and within an hour or so, I had evcc installed on my Openhab Raspi instance talking to OpenWB Pro. I am still fine-tuning the rules/configurations for the various modes, but will get there over time. I could obviously use simple rules from OpenHab, but the evcc UI is really nice and it does the job of communicating with OpenWB Pro directly. It even has a nice binding to Openhab which keeps all my data (and control) at one place.

I was also very easily able to use my Openhab data using RestAPI access URLs, so that I could use my existing Zwave meter for the grid export/import and the PV modbus data, that were already available in OpenHab.

Another feature I am really happy with is that the Pro supports 0.1A increments, which essentially allows a practically continuous control with no wasted PV power. :wink:

If anyone has any questions about the setup or need any other information, am happy to help!

You are right. It works like a charm!

Haha. I must add I am planning to put more solar panels to augment my installation, and it’s always good to be future-proof. Btw, I noticed, that even though my car charges with a max of 11 kW (3x16A), it is still able to absorb 7.3kW on a single phase (1x32A), implying that I could have managed with one phase for a much higher solar excess.

Well, the Pro doesn’t have a RasPi inside. =) In any case, I have been running my home automation on a simple Raspi using Openhab, and it has been amazingly stable. The wallbox controller should be even simpler, so I didn’t worry about that.

Btw, how do you use the ‘SG ready’ contacts of the heat pump? I have a Brötje heat pump that is supposedly SG Ready but I am not sure how to ‘trigger’ them. Do you have a relay-like connection or some software control? I have a BSB-LAN interface through Arduino (GitHub - fredlcore/BSB-LAN: LAN/WiFi interface for Boiler-System-Bus (BSB) and Local Process Bus (LPB) and Punkt-zu-Punkt Schnittstelle (PPS) with a Siemens(TM) controller used by Elco Thision, Brötje and similar heating systems), but I am not sure how to trigger SG Ready or ask it to directly start heating or circulating.

Not really. With Openhab, you can simply use HTTP source for power sources of your grid and pv. here is how I did it (extract of evcc.yaml).

meters:

The javascript query nicely gives the required data from the json output of RestAPI.

Yes it is relay controlled.
I do have a Beckhoff PLC connected to OpenHAB (via Modbus TCP). So I can switch 230 V AC drectly with the outputs of the PLC.

Thanks for the evcc.yaml maybe I will give it anther try one day.

Hello dis you buy only the wallbox? Did it have ethernet/wifi connection? I have all the parame from my PV so Id like to manage by myself the wallbox

I didnt understand if it has ethernet/wifi connection. On site its not clear

Yes I bought only the wallbox. It has Ethernet interface. I am not sure about WiFi since I use Ethernet cable.

Yes, I bought only the Go-eCharger Wallbox and managed all by openhab.
The Go-eCharger support WiFi and haven an open API, also support by openhab Bimding.

Thanks for the answer but go-echarger homefix or go-echarger Gemini?

Thanks

Hi Giorgio,
as the charger are in use since 2 years, it is the Go-eCharger Homefix with the APi V1.0
The new Gemini support API V2.0 which also available on GitHub.
Edit: bouth APIs are supported from Go-e Binding

Im.asking because contacting the go e support they said me that Gemini doesnt have wifi/ethernet, is it possible?

As I did not have the Gemini, I checked the Manuals and Datasheet: WiFi incl API are support. No Ethernet connection.

Bedienungsanleitungen für go-eCharger & Zubehör | go-e

I also run a “openWB” since a few years now and with the second (different) type of BEV and I´m still more than happy with it. In comparison to other price-wise in the mid-range, but with an pretty cool open-source software running on a built in PI, for which you get the credentials to root-login and a powerful build-in MQTT-Interface (running mosquito on the pi out of the box, which I also use for a huge number of tasiota and shelly devices). Have a LOT of features to get info from PV and house battery, as well as it able to control a huge number of devices (i.e. Shellies or tasmota direct and others via MQTT) depending on the PV or SOC-Conditions of the BEV or the house-battery. Also the possibility to connect to EVCC (which I do not use).
Available in different HW-Versions, smooth integration with (at least my) fronius-inverter und BYD-Battery.
Fully compatible with OH via MQTT-Binding (ok, a bit of work to get all the channels they offer). I get more info about my PV and battery from the wallbox then I get directly from them, even they have an own binding.

See here: openWB (sorry, only German on the website)

I have a go-e Charger Gemini flex. It has wifi, but not an ethernet port. I have managed with wifi, but an ethernet connection would be more reliable.

Does anyone know if the pulsar plus from wallbox work with openhab out of the box or must I flash it?

It works using OCPP via evcc.io. I can read the data at present but having issues with control… Setting to, for example, “minpv” doesn’t start the charger. I’m still trying to work out the issue.